Donor

Crickey! Australia Battles Wildfires With 112F Heat-Wave

Australia battles wildfires as new year brings record heatwave

Sydney records highest temperature since 1939
    Buildings destroyed as fires burn out of control

Bernard O'Riordan in Sydney
    Monday January 2, 2006
    The Guardian

Sydney sweltered through its hottest New Year's Day on record yesterday as blowtorch conditions pushed the mercury to 44.2C (112F), causing power blackouts and sparking more than 40 bushfires along Australia's east coast.
    Homes and cars were destroyed, towns isolated and roads cut off as firestorms raged across parts of New South Wales, Victoria and the capital, Canberra.

At least 35 people were treated for heat exhaustion at Sydney's beaches and 100 people were rescued by lifeguards.

Five separate blazes burned out of control near Gosford, 50 miles north of Sydney, where at least three houses and seven cars were destroyed by fire. Six other homes were severely damaged.
    Residents of the coastal town of Woy Woy and nearby Mount White were told to evacuate as two separate blazes joined to create a single front with 65ft flames, cutting the main freeway to Sydney and disrupting rail services. One local resident said the inferno was like a scene from hell. "Black smoke covering the sun, just scorching hot, 44 degrees. It's burning up here," he told ABC Radio.

Peter Williams, a motorist caught by the blaze on the F3 motorway north of Sydney, said: "We went round one corner and there were a lot of flames just beside the road not too far away. We went around the next one and there was fire all across the road. It's very hot, very smoky."

The Australian Reptile Park at Somersby, a popular tourist attraction, was in the path of the fire as it burned through dense, dry bushland. Seven water-bombing aircraft and 30 tankers were used to fight the fires, which authorities said may have been deliberately lit.

"Unfortunately it looks like we have had human intervention but whether that's accidental or deliberate remains to be seen," said Rebel Talbert from the Rural Fire Service.

Emergencies were also declared at Cootamundra and Junee in the Riverina fruit-growing region, where a farmer was taken to hospital after receiving burns to 60% of his body. Fires were also burning at Appin and Bulli, south-west of Sydney.

Lawrence Ryan, who owns a historic 1884 homestead in the Riverina, said a helicopter dropped four water bombs on his home just as flames reached its doorstep.

"We had buckets and hoses and a fuel pump in our swimming pool. We were just about to start losing valuable carriages and all sorts of things when the helicopter bomber came in and dumped four loads of water on us," he said.

The extreme heat was caused by north-westerly wind gusts moving from Australia's parched interior towards the coast.

The NSW weather bureau said yesterday's temperature was the highest recorded in Sydney on January 1. The previous hottest was in 1928, when the mercury reached 38C. Yesterday was also the second-hottest day ever in Australia's biggest city, which rarely experiences temperatures much higher than 30C. The hottest day was 45.3C in 1939.

Yesterday the temperature peaked at 44.2C in central Sydney at 4.30pm, while in outback New South Wales the temperature almost reached the half century, topping 47 degrees at Ivanhoe. A cool southerly change packing winds of 70mph reached Sydney around 9.30pm, and by midnight the temperature had dropped to 23C. But the winds brought down trees and power lines and fanned embers, making conditions hazardous for firefighters.

"The fires are going to be driven in a northerly direction now, our whole strategy has to change," said Phil Koperburg, the Rural Fire Service commissioner.

In Victoria, five houses and tens of thousands of pounds worth of crops, sheds and equipment were destroyed in a blaze at Stawell. About 22,000 acres of bushland were burnt out as 750 firefighters battled to contain a 19-mile fire front.

Fire crews were also on alert in Canberra where several small grassfires burned on the city's northern outskirts.

More Here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/internatio...ticle_continue

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I remember Goo sending me a photo a few years ago of some wild fires they were having. You could see this normal suburban neighbourhood and then massive flames and smoke at least 200 ft in the air, it looked like doomsday had arrived.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I don't think those fires were quite as bad as what the article is suggesting. I think everyone is breathing a sigh of relief as they could have been a lot worse. The danger has pretty much gone.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

You still have to worry about the sharks and alligators.

Be safe my friend.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    I remember Goo sending me a photo a few years ago of some wild fires they were having. You could see this normal suburban neighbourhood and then massive flames and smoke at least 200 ft in the air, it looked like doomsday had arrived.
    Fires are everywhere, what is going on??? Texas, Oklahoma, Australia etc..... WTF!
    Just go for it!

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    You still have to worry about the sharks and alligators.

Be safe my friend.
    I was watching a doco last night about those twisters that you guys get. Man, they are scary Do you get any up your way OLO? I'd rather take my chances with bushfires and a few man-eating animals than get in the way of one of those fuckers.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave CanSing
    I was watching a doco last night about those twisters that you guys get. Man, they are scary Do you get any up your way OLO? I'd rather take my chances with bushfires and a few man-eating animals than get in the way of one of those fuckers.
    Not up here we dont, Twisters are mainly a midwest thing, Oklahoma, Texas, Mississippi, Kansas etc etc. We have earthquakes, rain and snow. Eastern Washington gets the a few forrest fires in the summer if it is real dry.
    We do have volcanoes to deal with in Washington State, St Helens is here and if Mt Rainer ever blows its top well...... it was nice knowing you.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

We get tornados occassionally in Chicago. We are at the northern most part of "Tornado Ally." I have personally been in two tornados, both while camping, and those are experiences I don't ever care to relive.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    Fires are everywhere, what is going on??? Texas, Oklahoma, Australia etc..... WTF!
    I don't think this applies to Austrailia, but in the south; the combination of inbreeding and fireworks are bound to produce disaster.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    I don't think this applies to Austrailia, but in the south; the combination of inbreeding and fireworks are bound to produce disaster.
    No kidding. The wife and myself stopped going to my ex-boss' 4th of July party: Too many drunken idiots setting off fireworks, with little regard for their own (nor anyone else's) safety.

Not to mention each July Florida gets into drought conditions, you do the math.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    LMAO very funny post!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.17.11 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

112F... You make it sound even hotter than 45C!

Yep, was damn hot that day.

I spent it tit deep in Lake Macquarie with a fishing rod in my hand.

Didn't catch anything, but it was the coolest place to be.
    Last edited by Brian Gibson; 01.04.06 at 02:44 PM.
    \m/_ _\m/

Gibbo