Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Happy New Year! I want a divorce

Happy New Year! I want a divorce
    The Boston Herald ^ | 01/01/2006 | Jessica Heslam

Happy New Year, honey!

I want a divorce.

It may not be as traditional as losing weight or quitting cigarettes, but dumping a spouse has become a popular New Year’s resolution, according to Bay State divorce lawyers who are bracing for one of their busiest months of the year.

Newton divorce attorney Sharyn Sooho expects her phone will be ringing off the hook when she returns to the office this Tuesday after the holiday. “Getting rid of the jerk” is a top resolution, she said.

“It’s going to be one of the busiest days of the year for phone calls,” Sooho said. “It’s because they resolved to get through the holiday and to start the New Year by getting all their problems resolved.

“They want that fresh start,” added Sooho, who is co-founder of the Web site Divorcenet.com. “You hear the story, ‘It’s a new year and I want a fresh start.’ ”

Attorneys say there’s a lull in divorce proceedings from Thanksgiving until the New Year because couples put on a happy face and stick out the holidays for the sake of their family.

“Certainly, a lot of people try to hold the family together - especially for the kids - over the holidays,” said Boston attorney Hans Hailey.

But in January, Hailey said, “there’s a spike in people coming to see you about wanting a divorce.”

Since Thanksgiving, only five people have called Quincy divorce attorney Lawrence Levin to inquire about a divorce. But Levin expects about 20 such calls in January alone.

Boston divorce attorney Gerald Nissenbaum said he gets a lot of calls in October and November from spouses who want to make sure he’s available in January, so they can “drop the bomb” and “move the loser.”

(Excerpt) Read more at http://news.bostonherald.com/localRe...ticleid=119477 ...

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Wow...........guess I fit this statement. I moved out on the 28th, and I'm in my new house, and LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, my kids love the house SO much, they wanna stay here with me 24-7 which is fine by me, but my wife doesn't dig it to much.

HH <----Predects it's gonna get ugly, Fo Shizzle.....---------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen
    Wow...........guess I fit this statement. I moved out on the 28th, and I'm in my new house, and LOVING IT!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, my kids love the house SO much, they wanna stay here with me 24-7 which is fine by me, but my wife doesn't dig it to much.

HH <----Predects it's gonna get ugly, Fo Shizzle.....---------
    Best of luck to you, HH, with your new life!
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Um, hmm. Very interesting topic
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Woman Suing Ex-Husband For Divorcing Her In Secret
    POSTED: 4:34 pm EST January 4, 2006

SANFORD, Fla. -- Sally Erickson and Renzie Davidson thought they had the secret to marital bliss. But the eccentric list of demands outlined in their prenuptial agreement, which included mandatory backrubs and a $5 fee for nagging, still couldn't save their marriage.

Now Erickson, 61, is suing Davidson, 62, for allegedly divorcing her in secret more than two years ago, according to Seminole County court records.

Before saying 'I do' in 2001, the Florida couple agreed to a quirky prenuptial agreement. Erickson, a mental-health counselor, promised to cook breakfast a minimum of three times during the weekdays, and once on the weekends, according to the document.

"In return, Davidson will not wake Sally up on her 'off days,"' the document said.

The agreement also required Davidson to rub Sally's back three times a week for five minutes. If Sally used the "F" word, she was sentenced one hour of yard work. Davidson had to pay $5 each time he complained, nagged or made "a fuss about Sally's expenditures ..."

Despite their carefully laid plans, Davidson decided to call it quits 3 1/2 months into the marriage. Erickson was served notice of the divorce suit six days later, which she acknowledges, but she says in court pleadings that Davidson then intentionally misled her, saying he had dropped the whole thing.

Davidson apparently had a change of heart for a while and the case stalled for 1 1/2 years. Then, in February 2003, he asked for a default judgment in his favor and got it.

Court documents show Erickson was absent. She claims she never even knew about the divorce.

Davidson has not contested Erickson's claim. Last month, serving as his own attorney, he filed paperwork asking the judge to throw out the divorce.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    Erickson, a mental-health counselor...
    Something ironic here
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by racefan8
    Something ironic here
    Boy, you can say that again. I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that they have to put in writing something that would just be considerate like a back rub.

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79
    I can't quite wrap my mind around the fact that they have to put in writing something that would just be considerate like a back rub.
    Sounds like a good idea to me...and so does a certain amount of mandatory sex.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesn’t kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    January 8, 2006

Resolutions for 2006: Lose weight. Make appointment with cosmetic surgeon. File for divorce.

Retailers may have December, accountants have March, but divorce attorneys say January and February are among their most bountiful months.

"A good gauge on how the divorce business is doing is how busy my members are," said Fadi Baradihi, president of the Institute for Divorce Financial Analysts in Southfield, Mich. "And my members say it's a busy time for them."

During fiscal 2004-5 in San Diego Superior Court, November and December had the fewest divorce filings, with 962 couples throwing in the towel during the Christmas month. Filings were up 10 percent in January, and February's rate was nearly 17 percent higher than December, with 1,123 people giving their beloved the heave-ho.

Still, the high point – or the low-point, depending on your perspective – was June, when 1,258 people filed.

Divorce experts say the number of new filings doesn't tell the whole story. This month and next, they're certain they'll see a surge in clients walking through the door. Some will want to file paperwork immediately. Other clients scope out an attorney, seek legal advice and then wait weeks or months to file with the courts.

"We see a big spike in getting retained," said Alan Edmunds, a family law attorney in Encinitas. "A lot of people will hire us, then hold off. They'll say, 'Wait until after my daughter's wedding in February,' or 'My husband is going to have an operation.' " As for the June uptick, attorneys attribute that to parents waiting until school is out, perceived as a less traumatic time for their children to move.

For some unhappy couples, New Year's "Out with the old, in with the new" vibe provides the nudge they need.

"Many people who are ending their relationship want to go into the new year knowing they are going to end a bad relationship and hopefully go on in life to have positive new relationships," said Beverly Pekala, a Chicago divorce attorney and author of "Don't Settle for Less: A Guide to Getting a Fair Divorce & Custody Settlement."

Couples have several reasons why they agree to pack away the decorations before packing in the marriage. They may shop for attorneys along with their holiday gifts. (Thanks for the earrings. Here's your sweater. Hope it keeps you warm on those lonely nights without me.)

But postponing the breakup announcement until after the holidays means not having to explain to Great Aunt Bessie what went wrong with your union over the Christmas ham.

"Many people know prior to the holidays that the marriage is over, but they wait for family, children or social stigma until afterward," Edmunds said.

Linda, a 40 year-old mother of two young children, has been on the receiving end of that divorce tactic. She and her husband flew east to visit family for the holidays. On Jan. 2 of last year, their first day home, he told her he wanted a divorce.

"He had made up his mind as early as November, but he said he wanted to keep Christmas nice for the kids," said the Rancho Bernardo woman who asked that her last name not be used because she didn't want to provoke an argument with her former spouse. "I think I would have preferred to have known. I thought everything was perfectly OK, then I got this huge slap in the face."

Joining Parents Without Partners, a social and support group for single parents, has helped her get through the loss, she said.

Cold, hard financial calculations also can enter into the timing.

The wealthy don't want to say goodbye before collecting the luxury gifts and holiday vacation trips, Pekala said.

And the early part of the year is when 1099s and W-2s come in and bonuses are given out. One spouse may want to stake a claim to half of the windfall. Some use the extra cash to pay attorney fees.

Plus, if you move quickly enough, there's still time to find a date for Valentine's Day.

"In this day and age, lots of spouses still don't know how much the other is making until they get the statements in the mail," said Pekala, called "America's Divorce Handicapper" for predicting that Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck would not tie the knot and that reruns of Jessica Simpson's "E! True Hollywood Story" would last longer than her marriage.
    By Jenifer Goodwin

In December 2004, Lisa Morse's husband moved out after 20 years of marriage. But it took her until February to hire an attorney and file separation papers, and several more months to begin to officially split up their property. A year later, she's still in litigation.

"The filing is the acknowledgment that the dream is dead. The family is gone, and you have to start over," said the 47-year-old Point Loma woman who has a 13-year-old daughter.

She would have liked to stick it out one more Christmas for her daughter's sake, but her emotional state had reached the breaking point. "If you're not getting along, you're not sleeping in the same bed, you're not communicating, it gets to the point you have to go no matter what time of year it is," Morse said. "It doesn't matter if it's Christmas. It's over."

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...08divorce.html