Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:05 AM
    Liked 19 Times in 5 Posts

Default My two cents worth

Flame me if you must but this is my opinion on the state of van halen. I seldom post but do stop by everyday and have for years for the latest news and views.

As I read a lot of posts and opinions of everyone wanting new Van Halen material and wanting Van Halen to go out on tour all the time, it dawned on me that I am glad VH haven't sold out like many other 80's bands and go out on tour each year and play for 1 to 2000 fans at your local bar. The anticipation no matter how many years it takes makes Van Halen an interesting story when they go out on tour/release something new and will draw the masses to their concerts. I went to 6 2004 tour dates and each place was packed. I live in Louisville KY and it was sad to see a band like Def Leopard play in front of maybe 2000 at the Louisville Gardens which is one of the worst venues in this area. I guess my point is that no matter how frustrating it is that VH doesnt release new material or tour every year or even every other year, when they do it is an event and takes me back to the glory days of rock.. Again, this is simply something I was thinking in my boredom after work tonight and something I thought I would bounce off of all of you..

Favorite VH Album

1984/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

5150/Crossing Over
    Last Online

02.06.17 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by meleboy
    ...I guess my point is that no matter how frustrating it is that VH doesnt release new material or tour every year or even every other year, when they do it is an event and takes me back to the glory days of rock...
    I think the real issue is not that they are more active, it's about the reasons why they aren't a functioning band - money, ego, and alcohol. I really believe Eddie has lost his passion for music. To me, 2004 was a last ditch effort by Al to get Ed's head together and it was a failure. Why? Because they couldn't promote the reunion properly. Why? Because Ed couldn't be bothered to do any real interviews. So Def Leppard goes on tour and plays to 2,000 people, meanwhile The Stones play to 50,000. I love Def Leppard but they are not an upper echelon band like The Stones or VH. The Stones put out a record evey couple years as an excuse to tour and to feed their fanbase. VH can't even seem to get their last four multi platinum records remastered not to mention including any bonuses that are just collecting dust in the vault. If Ed can't get his shit together, then Al should take up The Grateful Dead business model to keep VH alive.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It just a real lack of output from the band. We hear of "albums" worth of material...but only get 3 songs.

How about a message from the band..."we're taking it easy...not sure what the future holds...see ya down the road."

How about some live clips on their webiste from the '04 tour.
    How about some bootleg shit on their website.

Other bands have been able to harness the power of the internet and use it to their advantage to give back to the fans.

We get Ed gargling wind talking to two dicks from Kansas....recorded and edited....boring.

How about Ed post some of the shit he's done at 5150 lately....couple of clips of demos. Now that would rock.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.01.13 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

your premise that VH limps along and put out nothing for years and then does a tour so the sell out is very flawed. VH is a powerhouse. If they released quality new material and box sets etc. they would be more popular. This slow death sucks and is not productive.

Jonny

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    It just a real lack of output from the band. We hear of "albums" worth of material...but only get 3 songs.

How about a message from the band..."we're taking it easy...not sure what the future holds...see ya down the road."

Other bands have been able to harness the power of the internet and use it to their advantage to give back to the fans.

We get Ed gargling wind talking to two dicks from Kansas....recorded and edited....boring.

How about Ed post some of the shit he's done at 5150 lately....couple of clips of demos. Now that would rock.
    Preach, brother, preach...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

On fire, SGMAD
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy

great post!!! agree 100% it cant be that hard to do!
    "People ask me 'Dave, what's it like to be a rock and roll star?" I tell them 'It's simple: in your mind, line up every woman you've ever been with. Got 'em there? well, I wouldn't fuck any of them.'" - DLR