Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.02.06 @ 04:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I like my sound - but....

Hi,

So I switched to stomp boxes and I am playing a Peavey 5150 II head through a Marshall 4x12 slant cabinet. I love the sound I'm getting now with the phase shifter and the digital delay pedal. It sounds very good. But it does not sound as good as the sound I hear on some of the clips posted here and of course not as good as the EVH sound on that first album which is what I would like to recreate. Maybe it is partly the guitar I am playing which is a Jackson Professional. It is a nice guitar though and plays very nice with great action.

The thing that seems to be missing is gain and sustain. I know people freak out when you say that and you are already playing a 5150 II, but my tone just doesn't sound as saturated as what I am hearing on other peoples recordings. I even tried adding an Ibanez tube screamer at the front of the effects for a little bit extra and it helps but I'm still not quite there.

What's missing?

Steve

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

What kind of pickups do you have in the jackson? If they are EMG's, you will have one hell of a time getting that sound. I would try getting the SD 59' Bridge Model. That seems to be the concensus around here is that the 59 is the closest thing you will get to ed's sound as far as pickups go.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

1984 & Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.27.06 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It could be your tubes or maybe it's your settings. I have a 5150 Combo and I have no problem with gain or sustain. I've recently re-tubed with JJ's and am pretty happy with them.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I'm actually in the same boat and I can't say how really frustrating it's been. It's really all mental I think though. Back in early November I was just soo pleased with my tone, but now I can barely even look at my guitar without tensing up. Partly I believe it's the cheap Crate 4x12 that I'm playing through, but the rest is purely mental. I'm also not happy with my Digitech Digiverb so I'm scraping that for a Boss DD3 which is waiting for me at home today.

Might also consider switching the tubes to JJ's or groove tubes. Who knows. I'm not giving up though, that's for sure.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.02.06 @ 04:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    What kind of pickups do you have in the jackson? If they are EMG's, you will have one hell of a time getting that sound. I would try getting the SD 59' Bridge Model. That seems to be the concensus around here is that the 59 is the closest thing you will get to ed's sound as far as pickups go.
    I'm not positive what kind of pickups this guitar has. They are stock pickups and I'm pretty sure I remember somebody saying they are EMG's. This guitar also has a battery inside the pickup area for some addititional boost I guess. I'm really not sure what it all does. The one thing I discovered with this guitar is that if I turn the tone knob all the way back to zero I get that stratocaster type of sound and that is the setting I use to try and get the EVH sound. It seems to lose a little gain but it gives it that twang if you know what I mean. I'd buy another guitar before I messed around with this one because this guitar plays great and I love it for neoclassical stuff.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Steve

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njsteve
    I'm not positive what kind of pickups this guitar has. They are stock pickups and I'm pretty sure I remember somebody saying they are EMG's. This guitar also has a battery inside the pickup area for some addititional boost I guess. I'm really not sure what it all does. The one thing I discovered with this guitar is that if I turn the tone knob all the way back to zero I get that stratocaster type of sound and that is the setting I use to try and get the EVH sound. It seems to lose a little gain but it gives it that twang if you know what I mean. I'd buy another guitar before I messed around with this one because this guitar plays great and I love it for neoclassical stuff.

Thanks for the feedback,
    Steve

If the pickups are EMGs, try replacing that 9v battery, because they are active pickups as opposed to passive pickups (Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, just about every guitar manufacturer's pickups).

also, how many pickups does the guitar have? Is there a selector switch? Do you have a humbucker or single coils or both?
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you have active pick ups if theres a battery in the compartment. the push pull pot is a gain/decibel boost. when the battery gets low the signal will deteriorate as well.

much differnt than the hand wound paf pick up eddie used.

the 5150 head is a high gain head as well and its circutry is differnt from an vintage marshall slp head. as well the 5150 doesnt thicken up until the post gain is at least around 5.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Partly I believe it's the cheap Crate 4x12 that I'm playing through, but the rest is purely mental. I'm also not happy with my Digitech Digiverb so I'm scraping that for a Boss DD3 which is waiting for me at home today.
    If you're looking for a new cab, have you seen these?

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/G412%20SPECIAL.htm

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:33 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Cabinet makes a big difference. I have a 4 x 12" Marshall cab with vintage greenbacks and the tone through my 5150 is great, very warm, very brown.

When I go to band rehearsal, I just use the shitty Crate 4 x 12" they have there and it's the worst sound known to mankind.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by kowski
    If you're looking for a new cab, have you seen these?

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/G412%20SPECIAL.htm
    Thanks for the link Kowski, I'll check those out.

I switched back to my toneblaster 2x12 cab, and my tone was back. Those toneblaster's are cheap too, but I guess they're more quality than this Crate thing I have. Not sure what the hell I was thinking there.

The DD3 also made a HUGE improvement on my tone. I ditched the reverb and just use the DD3. Throw in a phaser and a flange and I was riffin away. Still gonna check out a new cab though.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Yep on the DD-3, I run it in my effects loop. Mucho cleaner than any reverb unit out there and serves the same purpose.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

1984 & Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.27.06 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    Thanks for the link Kowski, I'll check those out.

I switched back to my toneblaster 2x12 cab, and my tone was back. Those toneblaster's are cheap too, but I guess they're more quality than this Crate thing I have. Not sure what the hell I was thinking there.

The DD3 also made a HUGE improvement on my tone. I ditched the reverb and just use the DD3. Throw in a phaser and a flange and I was riffin away. Still gonna check out a new cab though.
    I recently retired my ole DOD Delay and got a Boss DD3. Much better delay, but man it really goes through the batteries!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Use an adapter.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

With it being a Jackson, I'm assuming that the Floyd is a floating trem. Block the trem in the cavity so that it only pulls down. This simply involves glueing a piece of wood between the sustain block of the trem and the inside of the cavity. This should increase the acoustic sustain of the guitar in general.

Once that is done, yank the EMGs out and replace the pickups with passive pickups. For a older VH sound, a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom works pretty well. For the F.U.C.K. sound, a DiMarzio Tone Zone works well. When replacing the Active pickups, you will need to replace the jack, and the electronics. I would go with a Gibson 500k pot for the volume. You can run the tone knobs if you want to, but my personal belief is that they detract from the true tone of the pickup. Whenever I wire up a kick-around guitar, I bypass any tone knobs. I don't even wire them in. You have to remember that Eddies classic tone came from running 1 humbucker through 1 volume knob, and nothing else.

The reason I make these suggestions is that all the other recordings you are comparing your guitar to were probably made using some variation of an Eddie guitar. Either a Wolf, EBMM, or replica. All of these would have a blocked bridge and comparable pickups to what I've recommended.

EMGs are not crap. They are good pickups. I think they are a little sterile though, like they lack any distinguishable tonal character. They are extremely good at truely reproducing string vibrations with varying amounts of gain, but without color. That's just my impression of them, I'm sure there will be plenty of others that would dis-agree.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

try an eq pedal, or a fulltone fat boost. Thats what worked for me, and i was in a similar predicament.