Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

Default My Version of the EVH Charvel

Check this out-

I own two USA Wolfgangs and a '93 EBMM (and a few 1980s Kramers) and trust me, I was very excited to hear that Fender/Charvel was putting out a striped EVH guitar. And then I saw the retail. Call me thrifty, but after playing one of the new Fender/Charvel EVH models last year, I couldn't justify laying down $2500+ for one - I know I'm not the only one who feels that way. I definitely not knocking the players who have gone down this road - I still may - but... you know what I mean.

Anyway, I just finished my version of the red/black/white one (see 5 pic links below). No, I didn't paint it myself - I could never paint something this well with so much gloss. The body is standard Strat top-routed Warmoth swamp ash and the neck is also a Warmoth (1 11/16" with Schaller tuners). I picked up a 'Charvel' headstock decal off of ebay. I have a new Floyd Rose Original tremolo on there and the pickup is a new Gibson '57 Classic.

The entire project cost me less than $900 and it plays great and sounds really cool. Working on a black/yellow one next.

One last thing - it amazes me that the guys at Fender/Charvel don't make the red/black/white guitar with the standard Strat top-route like EVH's original. I also think for the asking price, EVH should sign each one. But that's just my personal gripe.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/frankie1.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/frankie2.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/frankie3.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/frankie4.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/frankie5.jpg

Favorite VH Album

1984 & Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

08.27.06 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looks really good! How does it play?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smitty-

Aside from the last name we must be related-I also have gone the Warmoth route, and I'm SLOWLY building up an "Unchained" model. I, too, agree that the price is WAY out there. I went this route (Warmoth), and I know when its done, I'm gonna be pleased as punch. Also, I'm suprised that they haven't done a few of his other guitars in the paintjobs (as in the lesser known models like the Rasta, the Unchained, the weird black and white strat guitar that looks like it has the Ernie Ball headstock, and the guitar that was a Kramer that was purple, that had all the crazy tape put all over it). -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok-
    Heres what I think is WAY wrong with the Chravel EVH art Series model (feel free to chime in)-

1.The price (I could MAYBE understand $1700-1800 but $2600???)

2. The quality of the wood-bASSwood?? Hard rock maple? No Birdseye or Flamed maple neck??? No Alder body or Swamp ash??? HELLO??? Why not let US pick either Alder or Swamp ash? Ditch the bASSwood!!! Its ok, but Alder and Swamp Ash are closer to Eddies original sound.

3. The limit to the 3 most known styles (as in we all know Eddie had a few others they could EASILY do as well that were lesser known and WAY cool).

I think that sums this up-Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

OU812, 1984, Van Halen III
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Beautiful guitar!!! I love that paint job and the pickguard! Looks just like "Frankie"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Thanks for the positive feedback. I knew you guys here would appreciate this. One of my favorite things to do on this forum is check out all the cool guitars that all you guys make. It gives me ideas and I sleep better at night knowing I'm not the only one tackling projects like this.

I agree that other "striped" models should be offered... the Unchained guitar, the Star guitar, etc... but the fact that they don't allows weird people like us to make these things ourselves for A LOT less money. And it's fun to put these things together - tracking down red single-coil pickup covers and screwing in a 5-way switch in the middle route - all fun stuff!

Check out this "Shark" guitar I put together earlier this year. I actually painted this one myself. I purposely steered clear of the "official" red/silver paint and did it in light gray/black. I guess you can say it was out of respect for THE MAN.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/shark1.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/shark2.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/shark3.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/shark4.jpg
    http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/smithtone/gi/shark5.jpg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j
    Smitty-

Aside from the last name we must be related-I also have gone the Warmoth route, and I'm SLOWLY building up an "Unchained" model. I, too, agree that the price is WAY out there. I went this route (Warmoth), and I know when its done, I'm gonna be pleased as punch. Also, I'm suprised that they haven't done a few of his other guitars in the paintjobs (as in the lesser known models like the Rasta, the Unchained, the weird black and white strat guitar that looks like it has the Ernie Ball headstock, and the guitar that was a Kramer that was purple, that had all the crazy tape put all over it). -Red43j
    Smith rules!

Please post pictures when it's finished - I've thought about doing an "Unchained" axe, too, and I would love to see how it looks. That's a classic guitar from a classic VH era and it's one of EVH's most unusual guitars, in terms of the paint job. Didn't he only use it on the 1981 tour? Did you find it hard tracking down detailed pictures of it? Very cool idea to do this one - good choice! The "Rasta" is a cool one, too. Very unusual paint job.

Post pictures as you paint it and everything - I find things like that very interesting and I learn what works. Besides, it's not like there's any REAL VH news to talk about... Oh well.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithtone
    Smith rules!

Please post pictures when it's finished - I've thought about doing an "Unchained" axe, too, and I would love to see how it looks. That's a classic guitar from a classic VH era and it's one of EVH's most unusual guitars, in terms of the paint job. Didn't he only use it on the 1981 tour? Did you find it hard tracking down detailed pictures of it? Very cool idea to do this one - good choice! The "Rasta" is a cool one, too. Very unusual paint job.

Post pictures as you paint it and everything - I find things like that very interesting and I learn what works. Besides, it's not like there's any REAL VH news to talk about... Oh well.
    I probably WON'T be painting her, due to my less-than-stellar talent at painting-lol. Theres a guy here that does AWESOME work at a great price, sooooo Bill will probably be doing her. As far as reference pics-its been hell. The back of it-no pics....yet. Had to rely on the Unchained video...and even that doesn't show it off well at all-Red43j

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

I can imagine. A while back, someone on here did the black/white Star guitar and they did an awesome job and the only thing I could wrap my head around was - "where did they get reference pics?"

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome job Smithtone!
    I can't justify spending that kind of money on a Charvel either.
    I guess you can call me "thrifty" too.

I can imagine. A while back, someone on here did the black/white Star guitar and they did an awesome job and the only thing I could wrap my head around was - "where did they get reference pics?"
    That would be me. (and thanks for the compliment!)
    I belong to a few different VH forums where fellow members were kind enough to provide me with alot of reference pics.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See-
    THIS THREAD is what keeps me commin' back here. All of you guys participating in a GREAT chat about things like this. Smitty, and everyone else thats participated in this thread-I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but thanks. You have no idea how nice it is to be able to just come in here and have this kind of thread-Red43j
    Last edited by Red43j; 12.28.05 at 03:06 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

Dino5150 - Your work on the "Star" guitar was awesome! Have any more EVH projects in the works? Would love to see pics.

Red43j - I agree. It's very cool to check out other people's work here - very inspiring, too!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dino5150 - Your work on the "Star" guitar was awesome! Have any more EVH projects in the works? Would love to see pics.
    Thanks smithtone!
    I've got a 5150 in the works as well as a more accurate version of the VH1 (black and white) then shown in these pics. These are some old projects I've completed.

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yo smithtone, your shark rules, reminds me of mine

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member