Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.02.06 @ 04:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eruption - this one lick drives me crazy

Hi,

Like a lot of VH fans, I have been studying and trying to play the eruption solo for many years, slowly improving on it as I go.

Most recently I picked up the Curt Mitchell Master series cd and that helped quite a bit. I also have his VH DVD but it doesn't cover very much of eruption.

So there is this one riff the is an ascending thing that I have seen tabbed many different ways. Some have it starting on the 18th fret of the 3rd string, others on the 14th fret of the second string.

But now matter how I play this riff it feels really awkward and it just doesn't seem to me like he would have played it that way. A lot of riffs like this when I finally get the correct fingering things just fall into place and I'm like - yeah, that's definitely it. But not this one. At least not yet.

Anybody else struggle with this riff? Anybody have a way to play it they think feels right?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Eruption Lick...

njsteve, can you be more specific as to where this riff is? Can you give the song time it starts? The problem with Eruption is that unless you plan to play it all the time, it's not worth learning. I had it pretty well dialed at one time but if you don't continually practice it goes by the wayside! Good luck however on your goal.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

if you are talking about the pulloff section, I see it tabbed on the wrong string ALOT. however, I find this to be the only part I dont have to relearn every few years when I decide to try and play it.

I have never got it 100 percent, as I am just to lazy
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150
    njsteve, can you be more specific as to where this riff is? Can you give the song time it starts? The problem with Eruption is that unless you plan to play it all the time, it's not worth learning. I had it pretty well dialed at one time but if you don't continually practice it goes by the wayside! Good luck however on your goal.
    It's the riff that goes from about 26 seconds to 29 seconds - just before the tremolo picking thing.

I finally have those pulloffs to open strings sounding good and the Curt Mitchell stuff was right on for those riffs. He sounds right on for this riff too. It's just me that doesn't sound so hot playing this particular riff and it feels really awkward to me no matter how I try to find these notes on the neck.

If I can nail this lick I think I am 85% towards having it sound like the studio version and I'll be pretty happy with that.

Steve

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by njsteve
    It's the riff that goes from about 26 seconds to 29 seconds - just before the tremolo picking thing.

I finally have those pulloffs to open strings sounding good and the Curt Mitchell stuff was right on for those riffs. He sounds right on for this riff too. It's just me that doesn't sound so hot playing this particular riff and it feels really awkward to me no matter how I try to find these notes on the neck.

If I can nail this lick I think I am 85% towards having it sound like the studio version and I'll be pretty happy with that.

Steve
    Just stick with it. Eddie does shit like this alot. There's alot of rythmic tension in this line and that tension is finally released after the whammy bar abuse. Is this what you've been woodshedding on:

B: 16-18-20 (hammer on 18 20) High E: 16-17-20 (hammer 17,20)
    B: 14-17-20 (hammer on 17 20) Rake B to High E: 14--17(not legato/hammered) 20-17(pulloff to 17) 20-17-14-15-14 (all legato except for 20)

B: 17-14(pulloff) G: 17 B: 14 G: Bend 17th full step back down and release to 14th, hammer on 17th--->Dip tremolo bar (whammy abuse) Quick Dive on Low E then onto Tremolo Picking. Sorry for the notation style.

All I can tell ya is keep woodshedding, keep in mind the Rake from the B to High E and being accurate with the tremolo bar. Best of luck man.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

eruption....one lick drives me crazy.......

now thats just funny.....

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyCopenHalenII
    Just stick with it. Eddie does shit like this alot. There's alot of rythmic tension in this line and that tension is finally released after the whammy bar abuse. Is this what you've been woodshedding on:

B: 16-18-20 (hammer on 18 20) High E: 16-17-20 (hammer 17,20)
    B: 14-17-20 (hammer on 17 20) Rake B to High E: 14--17(not legato/hammered) 20-17(pulloff to 17) 20-17-14-15-14 (all legato except for 20)

B: 17-14(pulloff) G: 17 B: 14 G: Bend 17th full step back down and release to 14th, hammer on 17th--->Dip tremolo bar (whammy abuse) Quick Dive on Low E then onto Tremolo Picking. Sorry for the notation style.

All I can tell ya is keep woodshedding, keep in mind the Rake from the B to High E and being accurate with the tremolo bar. Best of luck man.
    Yeah, that's the killer riff for me. I also think this is one of the hardest riffs in the solo. At least for me it is. I'll never forget the first day I heard that eruption riff. I think I was in 9th or 10th grade and I was about to get on the school bus and some kid had a boom box and it was cranking the ending part of eruption and I heard it and couldn't imagine how he got the guitar to sound like that. I played that solo for a lot of years in bands but I never got very close on a lot of the riffs except for the hammer on thing at the end which for me is the easiest part of it. I'm a lot closer now. Hopefully I will nail this 3 second riff and kind of close the chapter on this one

Steve

Last Online

12.26.11 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go to JFrocks.com, he has a video you can download that explains it pretty well.