Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Default Van Halen 3 with Dave in mind?

I put VH3 in the cd changer in my truck the other day while driving home from work and was listening closely to the music LOUD.
    The whole groove and tone from most of the songs sound like Ed wrote those with a bluesy feel that he had in mind for Dave to sing.
    Listen to Ballot or the Bullet, Dirty Water Dog, Fire in the Hole, and Without You closely.

If they just made the vocals sound better it was a pretty cool sounding album. Especially when you crank it up.

Then the music to the 3 new songs on BOBW also make me feel like they too were carry-overs from the work they did with Dave in 2000.

If Ed is so miserable with Sam, can working with Dave be that much worse? If so, then maybe the problem really does lie with King Edward. Or Dave must truly be the ass we have been lead to believe he is.

Maybe its going to take the eventual HOF induction to finally make the biggest reunion that is still possible in rock and roll to actually happen. (the only other bigger reunions would have been the Beatles and Led Zeppelin) Then if thats the case I plead with the HOF induction committee to give the world their rock and roll back and induct Van Halen in 2006.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Interesting take. I think Ed wanted to branch out musically with "whoever" was on vocals.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

A thread about III can only mean one thing, I am betting it makes a appearence within 8-10 posts....
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"boogie man, givin' me the creeps?"

or how about that other piece of lyrical genius...

"pizza man, just wants a slice?"

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 1,600 Times in 983 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99
    A thread about III can only mean one thing, I am betting it makes a appearence within 8-10 posts....

Or sooner.

No, Eddymon, Dave wouldn't have let a piece of crap like III out the door, sorry.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Or sooner.

No, Eddymon, Dave wouldn't have let a piece of crap like III out the door, sorry.
    Bingo! Maybe if they were ever to reissue it, they can put that in the liner notes.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Default Editing

Dave was a stronger editor. I agree that III would have had similar pieces but stronger arrangements, more hooks, more polish. I agree that most of what was released would not have seen the light of day without more tuning up. With the exception of Diamond Dave, Senor Roth hasn't released much of what I would describe as misdirected as the release of III.

I disagree in that the basic tracks on III and BOBW do not sound like CVH nor Sammy era. They are unique to themselves. Me Wise Magic sounds like CVH.

I just came across of the spanish version of eat'em and smile "sonrisa salvaje" and its pretty cool.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

On fire, SGMAD
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:33 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

interesting thread eddymon.. i too have thought that some songs seem very dave orientated then others from the 3 album are no way in hell dave cultured if ya will.. still i wish dave was the man with the front possy on that album......
    "People ask me 'Dave, what's it like to be a rock and roll star?" I tell them 'It's simple: in your mind, line up every woman you've ever been with. Got 'em there? well, I wouldn't fuck any of them.'" - DLR

Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

11.12.08 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is really pretty simple:

David Lee Roth is nowhere near the singer that Gary Cherone is.
    Meaning there isn't a snowball's chance in hell Dave could have carried those tunes as well as Gary.

The tunes are rather good. The chemistry is not.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,117 Times in 8,948 Posts

Maybe I am tone deaf, but Cherone sounds like absolute crap on III. Keith Richards after an all night bender would sound better vocally.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Donor

Bingo! Maybe if they were ever to reissue it, they can put that in the liner notes.

Along with a profound apology.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 06:50 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Default Bah a real VH fan likes it all!

You can't say dave is any better than sam or gary is worse than all.....if you don't like ALL VH music your not really a VH fan....considering almost every single song on every single album from 1978 to 2005 is written by eddie anyways (umm the name of the band is VAN HALEN)....so no matter who's singing....ed's (20% alex) fuckin writin' it....so if you cut down VH III thats your problem, the band was a band before dave anyways....he's still the greatest ever [songwriter / rock guitarist]. so if your that much of a talented musician or critic to cut down his work with VH III....then go back and listen to your CVH which everone seems to rub one out too as the "REAL" van halen....I love all there music and i absolutly LOVED VHIII and everything they have ever made.

sbut whatever its only a opinion and not a debate...you can't argue your opinion of what sounds good to someone else....so i can't wait to see the reply's to this hahahaha

kevin

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VHFAN_ALL3
    You can't say dave is any better than sam or gary is worse than all.....if you don't like ALL VH music your not really a VH fan....considering almost every single song on every single album from 1978 to 2005 is written by eddie anyways (umm the name of the band is VAN HALEN)....so no matter who's singing....ed's (20% alex) fuckin writin' it....so if you cut down VH III thats your problem, the band was a band before dave anyways....he's still the greatest ever [songwriter / rock guitarist]. so if your that much of a talented musician or critic to cut down his work with VH III....then go back and listen to your CVH which everone seems to rub one out too as the "REAL" van halen....I love all there music and i absolutly LOVED VHIII and everything they have ever made.

sbut whatever its only a opinion and not a debate...you can't argue your opinion of what sounds good to someone else....so i can't wait to see the reply's to this hahahaha

kevin
    ....waiting, waiting.....This is what we call fishing for Squalen in these parts..
    Last edited by LittleGuitars99; 12.18.05 at 01:45 PM.

Detroit Red Wings

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I wasn't referring to the lyrics on 3 or how the final arrangements came about.
    Its the music and deep sound that it had. MWM was nowhere close to classic VH sound, but they brought the tone and tempo down to where Dave is now with his voice.
    No way could they make an album with Dave using the same tone that they used in the first 6 albums. Dave could never pull that off today. If they went into the studion today, they couldn't dupilcate Panama or I'm the One or Light up the Sky. Maybe they could with songs like Jump and Girl Gone Bad maybe even Jamie's Crying.

Ed's sound changed quite alot from Balance to 2004. I am not a guitar player, but I can pick up on how different his guitar sounds. Much like I can hear a difference between Fair Warning and 1984.
    1984 through OU812 are similar, F.U.C.K. is a little different. Then its been much darker since then.
    You can still tell its Ed playing, but maybe he grew tired of all the Vito Bratta's of the world trying to sound like him.
    Last edited by Eddymon; 12.18.05 at 01:58 PM.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Last Online

Donor

....waiting, waiting.....This is what we call fishing for Squalen in these parts..

LOL....nah, he's a newb, he deserves an outside chance.