Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Default Food Poisoning at Work

I survived the great food poisoning adventure of 2005. On Monday night we had a dinner catered in at work. We eat lunch at 10 PM, and the food was excellent and then we all went back to work at 10:30. At 1 AM as I was walking to the breakroom, I noticed this woman leaning against one of the handrails in the hallway right outside the breakroom. I thought to myself, "She doesn't look too good.", but didn't think much else about it. As I was leaving the breakroom, I notice one of the OPS Managers walking with someone down the same hallway, who also didn't look so good herself. Just a little ways down from there, here comes another person carrying a big garbage bag and throwing up in it, and about halfway back to my dept., here comes my Area Manager with another. After I get back to the dept., I look down the walkway, and see one of my trainee's walking very slowly with her hands over her mouth. I was then thinking something is going terribly wrong here. As I continue working throughout the night, I keep noticing more and more people leaving the dept., and going down towards the breakroom. About 2:30 my Area Manager comes up to me and says, "Start cleaning up, we're going home. People are dropping like flies." On the way out of the building was one of the most surreal scenes I have ever seen in my life. I first walked into the bathroom to find a few people lying on the floor throwing up into bags. The first guy looks up at me and says, "I wouldn't come in here if I were you.", so I left. I don't have the strongest stomach in the world anyway, so I wouldn't have fared very well with the stench of vomit. I then left there and went to exit the building and in order to get out of the building you have to go through the breakroom. There are dozens of people in the breakroom, sitting at the tables with bags, lying on the floor puking in trash cans, etc. It looked like a scene in a movie where they make a makeshift medical facility. It was creepy! As I was leaving the building, there are 4 ambulances sitting outside as well as a firetruck and a school bus. On the drive home I met 2 more ambulances. The TV station reported that over 100 people were treated at the ER in Coffeyville, and some were just getting out of the hospital yesterday. I was fairly lucky in that all I ended up with was a case of the shizzly drizzlies. It still wasn't pretty for me, but it wasn't as bad as some of them got it. All in all it was probably the strangest night/day of work that I have ever been through. Well, it's right up there with the bomb threat at Cessna in '97. It's a crazy world.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Damn, Vike! What food exactly caused all that? JEEZ!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

that's what happens when ya put mad anthony sauce on fishsticks buddy.....

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring
    Damn, Vike! What food exactly caused all that? JEEZ!
    I've heard that it was either the potato salad or the sausages. The food was very good though. Hell, I went back for a heaping plate of seconds, but I bypassed the potato salad the second time. We may find out someday, but Amazon has already done their damage control. They reported at work yesterday that it affected 38 people. Then why did the ER treat over 100?
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Fuck a duck! Glad you got through it, Vike.
    This made the local news, eh? Any links? Amazing that amount of people got affected.
    I'm sure the caterers are gonna take this one up the ass, good they deserve it. How damned irresponsible can you get?

Simply unreal. Be well.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Wow!!

Glad to hear you survived the great vomit of 2005.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I just did a Google search, all the articles are the same...exept AOL, who mention that the catering service was from Oklahoma...
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

This article says about 100 people were affected and 35 were taken to the hospital. That would seem about right. What I heard about the number of people was second hand, so they probably got it all screwed up.

COFFEYVILLE, Kan. -- A spokeswoman for Amazon.com said that about 100 employees at its distribution center in Coffeyville became ill with food poisoning during the night. She says about 35 of them were taken to hospitals in the area.

Spokeswoman Patricia Smith, reached at another distribution center in Nevada, said that officials believe the people got sick after eating a meal prepared by a local caterer. She said the company is working with health department officials looking into the matter.

Smith said that the meal was one of several that the company provides for its workers during the busy holiday season. She said all workers on the night shift were sent home, with work resuming Tuesday.

Smith said that the people who became ill were taken to several hospitals, but she did not have the names of those hospitals. The Montgomery County sheriff's office said some went to Coffeyville Regional Medical Center but would not provide other information, referring inquiries back to the Amazon.com spokeswoman.

Smith said the company hasn't been able to get much information from the hospitals.
    The guy that catered the meal in used to be an employee of Amazon, but had to leave the company when his wife moved into upper management. He usually does the catering for Amazon events like this, including the summer picnic and the Christmas party and also brings in sandwiches and salad during the day several times a week. He also does karaoke during the picnic and Christmas party. He's a super nice guy and I feel badly for him. I seriously doubt that Amazon will have him do anything else after this.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

So, this is why I don't have my order yet?
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I've heard that mayonnaise-based food poisoning is just about the worst. I've known several people that have been severely affected by food poisoning caused by old mayo. I have a friend who was 7mo. pregnant. She'd made baked potatoes and salad for dinner. Both she and her husband put ranch dressing, which contains mayo., on both their potatoes and salad. They both ended up hospitalized.

We've become a little OCD about checking expiration dates. I'm amazed when I go to people's houses, go to put salad dressing on my salad, and see that the expiration date has past. I even check the labels carefully at the grocery stores now after I've come home several times with expired mayonnaise and salad dressings (you'd think you could trust the stores to pull the old crap off the shelves).

Anyway...that's some scary stuff, Viking. I'm glad you're OK.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

i know a girl that looks like she got hit by a mayonnaise truck.....

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 134 Times in 86 Posts

Copy that on the mayo.

Several years ago i worked at a bank and Subway was one of our customers, and out of the goodness of there heart they sent us a sandwich tray for Xmas.

I usually don't "do" mayonaise, but, it was on all of them and i was hungry and it was free. This was on Christmas Eve...that Christmas day was spent going from the bed to my knees in front of the toilet. The only 2 people that didn't get sick were the 2 people who were off that day. To this day i can barely eat at Subway. Nothing worse than food poisoning.
    Dealing with it.