Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.02.06 @ 04:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Moving to stomp boxes

Hi,

This is my first post here. I am a big EVH fan and I play through a 5150 II head using an old Yamaha FX-900 digital effects unit in the effects loop for delay only. I could program it for chorus and flanger but I am just to lazy and I think the stomp boxes do a better job anyway.

Seems like everyone agrees on which phase shifter to buy. I'd like to get some suggestions on which chorus, flanger and delay pedals people are using these days to get evh sound.

I may end up keeping the fx900 for delay only but I'm not sure about that. Is there any advantage to using the pedal delays other than they are a lot easier to program?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN
    Last Online

11.01.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Welcome aboard njs. Since you're posting on this site I'm sure you'll be picking up the EVH MXR Phase (it's actually a rule), but their are a boat load of other really great boxes out there you should check out. I'd take a look at Fulltone's intire line, I've got a few of their pieces and they rock big time. Maxon has been tops in my book for a while now too. HOA has a great pedal for getting that full out Plexi sound its called the Rust Driver. Good Luck.
    Last edited by JCM 800; 12.13.05 at 12:30 PM.
    "You will respect my authoritah!" Ptl.Cartman

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.07.11 @ 07:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the boss dd-3 delay and it works good for evh. ATBL and does the divebomb thing at the end of eruption good.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use one of the old MRX flangers with the power cord. You can still find them on Ebay. They make a reissue now, but halted production for some time due to an obsolete component. I personally think there is no substitute. I also use one of the cheapo MXR phase 90's. Just open it up and clip one leg of R28. That's all you have to do and it's only like 60 bucks new compared to the EVH that is twice that. Those are the only things I use, so I can;t comment on anything else...except the fact that ALL pedals suck tone. I've taken a minimalist approach and keep these out of the signal chain unless they are being used for the tune.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All good suggestions.

There's alot of good stuff out there, and depending on what you like it comes down to personal preference. Personally I agree, I dig my original MXR Flanger. However, I've gotta say, and this is just my personal opinion - BOSS makes great stuff hands down. That old BF-2 Flanger is killer as well - I think now they carry the BF-3. I think pretty much all of the DD model delays are great stuff. I went with the DD-20 Giga Delay, and am damn glad I did. I bought and old MXR analog delay once, and the thing was unbearable and unusable for what I needed it for - not broken - just terrible frequency manipulation. You'd be pretty failsafe going with a Boss Chorus too.

On a sidenote, I recently bough a ZOOM G2. I don't know if anyone else on here has tried one, but for $99 (Built in drum machine, and you can use reverb, delay, and modulation simultaneously - fuckin A), and even the price aside, I think it's a killer pedal. The Van Halen preset was of course, shit. But the JCM 800 and 5150 models on there kickass. There's some other killer models on there such as a Roland Jazz Chorus, Fender Clean, Boogie...etc. It has a pitch shifter which I set to detune (my old Digitechs have this shit too, but the sound quality of this one blows it out of the fuckin water man - seriously) to get that harmonizer effect - and it sounds pretty damn bitchin. I haven't tried it (harmonizer/detune effect) alone yet in a loop - so I don't know how true the preamp bypass would be. The patch switching is unbelievably seamless.

Good luck man
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.11.12 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can mod the MXR phase 90 to sound like the evh model? Quick tell me how, only 9 more shopping days till christmas!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, you can clip the resistor on the PCBA that is located with the reference designator R28. It takes about 2 minutes to do. I suggest just clipping one leg and clip it so you can solder it back if you wish. You can do a search for the "R28 Mod". This make the current production model sound more like a "script" phase 90 which is what EVH used. I think the new EVH one with the paint job and the LED has a button that basically allows you to go from the current production sound to the script sound. Hope that helps.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

11.23.07 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default suggestions

Well, u can try the Boss DD20. Sounds good and has short recording capability (if u need it)

U can check out http://www.noiseon.com/Results.aspx?catid=8

to compare sounds of various flangers

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Check out the Ibanez DE7 delay/echo stomp. Very warm sounding, lots of flexibility, and not expensive. I've never been a fan of Boss pedals for some reason.