Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.26.02
    Age
    37
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,444
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes
    228
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts


    Donor

    Quality tube combo amp

    Hey fellas. I need as many opinions on this subject that I can get. I'm looking to purchase a new combo amp for practice/recording. I'm thinking about something in the 30-50 watt range, so something small, but something with some bite.

    My first option at the moment is a Mesa Nomad, or a JCM 800 Super Lead combo, but something cheaper would be good too. Any opinions on this would be great.

    Thanks.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

    "The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

    Sucka'sFacebook

  2. #2
    5150 P1's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.05.01
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    680
    Last Online

    03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50. The new Peavey Valve Kings are supposed to be good too, but I've never heard one.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

  3. #3
    Good Enough 51501984's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.14.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    2,272
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Likes
    629
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

    Default

    Chris , are you looking to get all your OD/Distortion out of the amp or are you gonna use a pedal?

  4. #4
    Hot For Teacher riddick's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.03.03
    Age
    39
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    300
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    Human's Being
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 06:36 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    I'd recommend a Peavey Classic 30, it's a powerful little amp.

    Scott.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk fast98dodge's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Age
    43
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    8,212
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Last Online

    08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Likes
    331
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I agree with the other guys, the Classic series Peaveys are cool amps...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

  6. #6
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.23.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    712
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I say go the 50 Watt route-
    If you can afford it. Second, the Peavey Classics aren't too bad-BUT theres some other stuff out there as well. How much you looking to spend? -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

  7. #7
    Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.26.02
    Age
    37
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,444
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes
    228
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red43j
    I say go the 50 Watt route-
    If you can afford it. Second, the Peavey Classics aren't too bad-BUT theres some other stuff out there as well. How much you looking to spend? -Red43j
    I can spend up to 1K, but I'd like to get something a bit cheaper. It really doesn't matter though because I'm looking for quality. So I don't mind paying.

    51501984, I'm looking to use the distortion on the amp. I have two OD pedals, so I have options there. But I really don't care for using distortion pedals anymore. I just sold my DS-1 anyways, so don't think I'll be buying a new one.

    I've looked at some reviews on the classic 50 and it does seem to be a good amp. Lots of people have had some issues with the tubes though and switched them out to better the amp. Might have to do the same thing if I do end up buying one.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

    "The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

    Sucka'sFacebook

  8. #8
    Good Enough 51501984's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.14.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    2,272
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Likes
    629
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I can spend up to 1K, but I'd like to get something a bit cheaper. It really doesn't matter though because I'm looking for quality. So I don't mind paying.

    51501984, I'm looking to use the distortion on the amp. I have two OD pedals, so I have options there. But I really don't care for using distortion pedals anymore. I just sold my DS-1 anyways, so don't think I'll be buying a new one.

    I've looked at some reviews on the classic 50 and it does seem to be a good amp. Lots of people have had some issues with the tubes though and switched them out to better the amp. Might have to do the same thing if I do end up buying one.
    I played one of the Peavey Valve Kings a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool. It had tons of gain and a very nice clean channel. The gain was a little buzzy but that could be tamed with a tube swap. I never have any luck with the gain from an amp , I always use a pedal these days so I didn`t purchase the Peavey. Something just wasn`t 100% about the Valve King for me but your ears may be different than mine. If you`ve got about a grand to spend you may want to look into a Budda Superdrive 18 , very convincing "Brown Sound" , awesome cleans and loud as hell for 18 watts . I`d stay away from the Peavey Classic 30 if it was me , something about a 30 watt amp that uses 4 power tubes bugs me. One last thing about the Peavey Valve King , If you want to run an external speaker cab the internal speaker in the amp shuts off. Good luck Bro!

  9. #9
    Unchained JCM 800's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.10.04
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    531
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    5150 from LWAN
    Last Online

    11.01.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I have to say go with the boogie. I bought a Nomad 45 last year for practicing in the house and could not be happier. I got mine from GC for $1K, but it was the last one thay had and the floor model. It had some minor wear and tear, but is just a practice amp so who cares right?
    "You will respect my authoritah!" Ptl.Cartman

  10. #10
    Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.26.02
    Age
    37
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,444
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes
    228
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCM 800
    I have to say go with the boogie. I bought a Nomad 45 last year for practicing in the house and could not be happier. I got mine from GC for $1K, but it was the last one thay had and the floor model. It had some minor wear and tear, but is just a practice amp so who cares right?
    Pretty much how I feel.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

    "The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

    Sucka'sFacebook

  11. #11
    Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.26.02
    Age
    37
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,444
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes
    228
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 51501984
    I played one of the Peavey Valve Kings a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool. It had tons of gain and a very nice clean channel. The gain was a little buzzy but that could be tamed with a tube swap. I never have any luck with the gain from an amp , I always use a pedal these days so I didn`t purchase the Peavey. Something just wasn`t 100% about the Valve King for me but your ears may be different than mine. If you`ve got about a grand to spend you may want to look into a Budda Superdrive 18 , very convincing "Brown Sound" , awesome cleans and loud as hell for 18 watts . I`d stay away from the Peavey Classic 30 if it was me , something about a 30 watt amp that uses 4 power tubes bugs me. One last thing about the Peavey Valve King , If you want to run an external speaker cab the internal speaker in the amp shuts off. Good luck Bro!
    How many watts was the Valve King you played? I was checking one out online last night, and it is in my price range but it's 100 watts. I really don't want that much amp. I have my 5150 II for all that. Right now I'm stuck between the Mesa Nomad and Peavey Classic 50.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

    "The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

    Sucka'sFacebook

  12. #12
    Eruption mk5's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.15.04
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    738
    Favorite VH Album

    5150 & 1984
    Last Online

    04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Likes
    4
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

    Default

    +1 for the Peavey Classic 30. It has four EL-84s because they were more desirable tonally.

    Sucka, you say you are looking for a practice amp for home and have a 5150II. If it were me, I'd look into getting a 20-30 watter because 50 watts
    just isn't going to be that much quieter. It will clip sooner, but with two
    channel & built in distortion, that's not really an issue.

    IMO, the Mesa's are also very nice, but the gain doesn't sound as "open." The third channels are very midrange-y, which cuts through a mix great, but they seem a little stiff. The orange (2nd) channels are excellent though.

    The Peavey has great clean and gain channels right out of the box--dynamic and less tinkering to get a good sound.

    By all means, go with YOUR gut. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll like it. If not, there's always eBay!
    Last edited by mk5; 12.13.05 at 11:17 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

  13. #13
    Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.26.02
    Age
    37
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,444
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes
    228
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    +1 for the Peavey Classic 30. It has four EL-84s because they were more desirable tonally.

    Sucka, you say you are looking for a practice amp for home and have a 5150II. If it were me, I'd look into getting a 20-30 watter because 50 watts
    just isn't going to be that much quieter. It will clip sooner, but with two
    channel & built in distortion, that's not really an issue.

    IMO, the Mesa's are also very nice, but the gain doesn't sound as "open." The third channels are very midrange-y, which cuts through a mix great, but they seem a little stiff. The orange (2nd) channels are excellent though.

    The Peavey has great clean and gain channels right out of the box--dynamic and less tinkering to get a good sound.

    By all means, go with YOUR gut. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll like it. If not, there's always eBay!
    Great point, but I'm also looking for something that I can lug down the street to my pal's house and jam. And I need something that'll cut through all the fuckin noise we'll be makin, and my AVT-50 was perfect for that. So that's pretty much why I think I'm set on a 50watt 2x12. The peavey classic 50 seems to be right in my alley since it's a bit nicer on my wallet. And I have a hot plate anyways, so low volumes won't be an issue.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

    "The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

    Sucka'sFacebook

  14. #14
    XTC man! homeunit's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.00
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    4,113
    Favorite VH Album

    Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

    Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

    09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    29
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Boogie's are great, you can't really go wrong there but I'd try a Vox AC-30 or 15 if you get a chance. Those are sweet.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

  15. #15
    Romeo Delight halen comet's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.03
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    83
    Last Online

    07.30.06 @ 07:40 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    marshall studio 15 ^^
    carpe noctem...

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Largo '82 with excellent quality.......
    By bcgvh in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07.25.06, 10:51 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12.23.05, 01:18 AM
  3. VH Live Right Here Right Now VHS bad quality sound??
    By DuffHalen in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01.15.03, 06:49 AM
  4. Better Quality EVH NAMM Video
    By Lead Synth in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01.24.01, 12:43 PM
  5. Question on Video Quality
    By Bassman in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04.06.00, 11:40 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •