Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quality tube combo amp

Hey fellas. I need as many opinions on this subject that I can get. I'm looking to purchase a new combo amp for practice/recording. I'm thinking about something in the 30-50 watt range, so something small, but something with some bite.

My first option at the moment is a Mesa Nomad, or a JCM 800 Super Lead combo, but something cheaper would be good too. Any opinions on this would be great.

Thanks.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50. The new Peavey Valve Kings are supposed to be good too, but I've never heard one.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

Chris , are you looking to get all your OD/Distortion out of the amp or are you gonna use a pedal?

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Human's Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I'd recommend a Peavey Classic 30, it's a powerful little amp.

Scott.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I agree with the other guys, the Classic series Peaveys are cool amps...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I say go the 50 Watt route-
    If you can afford it. Second, the Peavey Classics aren't too bad-BUT theres some other stuff out there as well. How much you looking to spend? -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j
    I say go the 50 Watt route-
    If you can afford it. Second, the Peavey Classics aren't too bad-BUT theres some other stuff out there as well. How much you looking to spend? -Red43j
    I can spend up to 1K, but I'd like to get something a bit cheaper. It really doesn't matter though because I'm looking for quality. So I don't mind paying.

51501984, I'm looking to use the distortion on the amp. I have two OD pedals, so I have options there. But I really don't care for using distortion pedals anymore. I just sold my DS-1 anyways, so don't think I'll be buying a new one.

I've looked at some reviews on the classic 50 and it does seem to be a good amp. Lots of people have had some issues with the tubes though and switched them out to better the amp. Might have to do the same thing if I do end up buying one.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 927 Times in 554 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    I can spend up to 1K, but I'd like to get something a bit cheaper. It really doesn't matter though because I'm looking for quality. So I don't mind paying.

51501984, I'm looking to use the distortion on the amp. I have two OD pedals, so I have options there. But I really don't care for using distortion pedals anymore. I just sold my DS-1 anyways, so don't think I'll be buying a new one.

I've looked at some reviews on the classic 50 and it does seem to be a good amp. Lots of people have had some issues with the tubes though and switched them out to better the amp. Might have to do the same thing if I do end up buying one.
    I played one of the Peavey Valve Kings a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool. It had tons of gain and a very nice clean channel. The gain was a little buzzy but that could be tamed with a tube swap. I never have any luck with the gain from an amp , I always use a pedal these days so I didn`t purchase the Peavey. Something just wasn`t 100% about the Valve King for me but your ears may be different than mine. If you`ve got about a grand to spend you may want to look into a Budda Superdrive 18 , very convincing "Brown Sound" , awesome cleans and loud as hell for 18 watts . I`d stay away from the Peavey Classic 30 if it was me , something about a 30 watt amp that uses 4 power tubes bugs me. One last thing about the Peavey Valve King , If you want to run an external speaker cab the internal speaker in the amp shuts off. Good luck Bro!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN
    Last Online

11.01.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say go with the boogie. I bought a Nomad 45 last year for practicing in the house and could not be happier. I got mine from GC for $1K, but it was the last one thay had and the floor model. It had some minor wear and tear, but is just a practice amp so who cares right?
    "You will respect my authoritah!" Ptl.Cartman

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JCM 800
    I have to say go with the boogie. I bought a Nomad 45 last year for practicing in the house and could not be happier. I got mine from GC for $1K, but it was the last one thay had and the floor model. It had some minor wear and tear, but is just a practice amp so who cares right?
    Pretty much how I feel.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by 51501984
    I played one of the Peavey Valve Kings a few weeks ago and it was pretty cool. It had tons of gain and a very nice clean channel. The gain was a little buzzy but that could be tamed with a tube swap. I never have any luck with the gain from an amp , I always use a pedal these days so I didn`t purchase the Peavey. Something just wasn`t 100% about the Valve King for me but your ears may be different than mine. If you`ve got about a grand to spend you may want to look into a Budda Superdrive 18 , very convincing "Brown Sound" , awesome cleans and loud as hell for 18 watts . I`d stay away from the Peavey Classic 30 if it was me , something about a 30 watt amp that uses 4 power tubes bugs me. One last thing about the Peavey Valve King , If you want to run an external speaker cab the internal speaker in the amp shuts off. Good luck Bro!
    How many watts was the Valve King you played? I was checking one out online last night, and it is in my price range but it's 100 watts. I really don't want that much amp. I have my 5150 II for all that. Right now I'm stuck between the Mesa Nomad and Peavey Classic 50.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

5150 & 1984
    Last Online

04.30.16 @ 03:52 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

+1 for the Peavey Classic 30. It has four EL-84s because they were more desirable tonally.

Sucka, you say you are looking for a practice amp for home and have a 5150II. If it were me, I'd look into getting a 20-30 watter because 50 watts
    just isn't going to be that much quieter. It will clip sooner, but with two
    channel & built in distortion, that's not really an issue.

IMO, the Mesa's are also very nice, but the gain doesn't sound as "open." The third channels are very midrange-y, which cuts through a mix great, but they seem a little stiff. The orange (2nd) channels are excellent though.

The Peavey has great clean and gain channels right out of the box--dynamic and less tinkering to get a good sound.

By all means, go with YOUR gut. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll like it. If not, there's always eBay!
    Last edited by mk5; 12.13.05 at 11:17 AM.
    How open-minded do I have to be before my brains start spilling out?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by mk5
    +1 for the Peavey Classic 30. It has four EL-84s because they were more desirable tonally.

Sucka, you say you are looking for a practice amp for home and have a 5150II. If it were me, I'd look into getting a 20-30 watter because 50 watts
    just isn't going to be that much quieter. It will clip sooner, but with two
    channel & built in distortion, that's not really an issue.

IMO, the Mesa's are also very nice, but the gain doesn't sound as "open." The third channels are very midrange-y, which cuts through a mix great, but they seem a little stiff. The orange (2nd) channels are excellent though.

The Peavey has great clean and gain channels right out of the box--dynamic and less tinkering to get a good sound.

By all means, go with YOUR gut. Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll like it. If not, there's always eBay!
    Great point, but I'm also looking for something that I can lug down the street to my pal's house and jam. And I need something that'll cut through all the fuckin noise we'll be makin, and my AVT-50 was perfect for that. So that's pretty much why I think I'm set on a 50watt 2x12. The peavey classic 50 seems to be right in my alley since it's a bit nicer on my wallet. And I have a hot plate anyways, so low volumes won't be an issue.
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Boogie's are great, you can't really go wrong there but I'd try a Vox AC-30 or 15 if you get a chance. Those are sweet.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

07.30.06 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

marshall studio 15 ^^
    carpe noctem...