Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Farrelly Brothers Take on Special Olympics

The filmmaking Farrellys, known for their gleeful bad taste in irreverent comedies such as "There's Something About Mary," are taking on the Special Olympics. Johnny Knoxville of "Jackass" fame is the star.

"The Ringer" sounds like a politically incorrect disaster but the Special Olympics couldn't be happier.

Knoxville plays a mild-mannered workaday chap who, in a desperate bid for cash, agrees to go along with his smarmy uncle's underhanded plan: he'll feign a mental disability in an attempt to rig the Special Olympics.

"Come on, a normal guy against a bunch of feebs? You'll look like Carl freakin' Lewis out there," says the uncle.

No wonder it took nearly seven years to get the movie made.

But after a long courtship, the Special Olympics decided "The Ringer" could humanize their athletes and add a new cachet of cool to their organization.

"The risk was that it would further the stereotypes of people with intellectual disabilities as the brunt of jokes rather than the teller of jokes," said Special Olympics Chairman Tim Shriver. "But the payoff was even more valuable."

"I wanted this movie out there," said Peter Farrelly, who co-produced the film with his brother, Bobby. "It's very funny, but I also saw the potential for changing people's perceptions of people with intellectual disabilities."

To make it happen, there were board meetings, script reviews and visits with athletes and their families. Farrelly, along with writer Ricky Blitt and director Barry Blaustein, went to the Special Olympics World Games in Alaska.

Ultimately, the filmmakers did the almost unthinkable: they gave the Special Olympics board final say on the script, plus the chance to cut any ad-libbed scenes once the movie was finished.

"We had to find a way to make this movie without giving away all creative rights to them," Farrelly said. "I became obsessed with getting it made because I saw that it was, on a lot of levels, groundbreaking."

The film includes about 150 disabled athletes and actors the largest population of intellectual disabled people ever portrayed in a mainstream movie, Farrelly said.

It's a cause close to Farrelly's heart. A longtime volunteer with Best Buddies, a mentoring program for people with intellectual disabilities, Farrelly saw an opportunity to show the moviegoing masses that people with intellectual disabilities are multifaceted and, most of all, fun.

"These stories are usually tearjerkers and there's no need for it," Farrelly said, adding that disabled characters have appeared in his previous projects. In "There's Something About Mary," for example, the actor Danny Murphy, who plays the Boss's Brother, is in a wheelchair and the character Warren, Mary's brother, is intellectually disabled.

Even Knoxville's bad-boy image is a boon to the film, Shriver said.

"If a guy like that can become friends with a person with Down syndrome, man, that's amazing," said Shriver, the movie's executive producer. Knoxville's fans "are the young people who we want to engage in this movement."

"Jackass" fans will find plenty to like in "The Ringer," Knoxville said.

"It really pushes boundaries," he said. "It shows people who are mentally challenged in a way they've never been shown before."

So is it really OK to laugh at the Special Olympics?

"Absolutely," Farrelly said. "You're not laughing at them. You're really laughing with them. There are a lot of jokes in this movie, and they're in on them all."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

The Farrelly Brothers strike again!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VAN HALEN
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.23.14 @ 08:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like the episode of southpark when Cartman faked being retarded and entered the special olympics to win the cash prize of a couple hundred bucks... but he was so out of shape he finished last in every event. He won the spirit award though and a 50$ dinner certificate. Jimmy won the competition however because he was "juiced up" on steroids. Very funny episode.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

LOL! That flick will be freakin' hilarious!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

Just got ticklets for the sneak preview 12/19. I can't wait!

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/theringer/

The executive producer is on the Special Olympics board.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring
    LOL! That flick will be freakin' hilarious!
    We saw the previews, and it looks very promising. We will probably go see it when it comes out.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)