Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Guitar Player Magazine-Eddie Lick & Van Halen 101 Review

So while Guitar One suck hippo-ass, Guitar Player magazine features two Eddie Van Halen pieces. The first is 10 hot Van Halen licks, the second is a review of "Van Halen 101" by Abel Sanchez (Linker)...they liked it.

"..You can't go wrong with this killer crash course on the band."

Way to go Abel!!
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Haven't heard much around here about the book once it came out, but it's a great bedtime story.

All in all, I give it .
    Last edited by smithjc; 12.08.05 at 04:16 PM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only problem I had with Abel's book was the over-use of the "man" lingo.

"Man you just gotta respect that" "Man those cats were just cool man"

Just got a little overdone. But...keeping a positive spin...it is absolutely written by a fan...for the fans. So, man...you just gotta give the guy a pass. A very well done book.
    Paul Marshall
    Afternoons/Music Director/Super Genius
    KQRC-FM 98.9 The Rock!
    Kansas City, MO
    www.neanderpaul.com
    "Those Who Know How, Will Always Work For Those Who Know Why"
    Member Since The Cornell Days So Fuck Off!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Amateur night in Dixie.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by NEANDERPOL
    The only problem I had with Abel's book was the over-use of the "man" lingo.

"Man you just gotta respect that" "Man those cats were just cool man"

Just got a little overdone. But...keeping a positive spin...it is absolutely written by a fan...for the fans. So, man...you just gotta give the guy a pass. A very well done book.
    Man that's heavy.

Well I'm a fan of Cheech and Chong (man), so it's all good to me.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Live in Largo '82
    Favorite VH Song

Sunday P.M in the Park/1 Ft...
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Amateur night in Dixie.
    ¿Que?
    Q: Recording the album took so long your Australian tour last year was cancelled. What was it like in the studio? There's a history of tension between you and Eddie Van Halen...

DLR: It was like a stand off in a Chuck Norris movie. We each had the laser dot on everybody's forehead waiting for the other guy to blink. Except for Wolfie, he had a Super Soaker ...

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    ¿Que?

That means it wasn't good.

Mine is still laying beside my bed unfinished. Now, why wouldn't I (who has been on this site for 6 years) finish a Van Halen book? ......bingo.

I think Austin Powers co wrote it with all the ................."baby, yeah's!"

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:57 AM
    Liked 1,596 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Steven B
    That means it wasn't good.

Mine is still laying beside my bed unfinished. Now, why wouldn't I (who has been on this site for 6 years) finish a Van Halen book? ......bingo.
    Precisely. Rehash of the VH Encyclopedia and the lore all of us already know, written by an outsider fan with little to no literary expertise, published by paying a Print on Demand internet service (not a real publishing house), only singling itself out with a few fluffer quotes from musicians outside the band. Dave's book is the only tome to date with any real credibility because it's an insider's view. What aspiring biographers are thinking, regarding the completion of a book about Van Halen, without any of the actual band members' involvement or guidance, is beyond me. Plus, there was the whole aliasing author promotional whoopdeedoo. Sure, a labor of love, but a good and insightful read? Not.

Tip for those who are interested in the possible future purchases of Van Halen lit: If none of the six guys who've been a significant portion of Van Halen wrote it, endorsed it, or consulted for it...don't buy it.

Me, I'm looking forward to Sam's bio, an inevitable eventuality, I think. And the sequel to Dave's book should be forthcoming next year. Naturally, a revelatory summary of all three eras and their respective soap operas, from the band's number one cool cat, one Mad Anthony, would be pretty dang cool.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

"Sinner's Swing!"
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 11:27 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Gould, he's an alright dude and a real nice guy:

BOOK REVIEW (by Shawn GOULD)- Abel Sanchez - VAN HALEN 101 (Authorhouse)

Abel Sanchez
    VAN HALEN 101
    Authorhouse

VAN HALEN is one of the more mythical bands in rock history. Every member past and present (excluding Gary Cherone) is legendary in their own way. A band possessed of amazing chops, cocky swagger, an uncanny sense of humor, a string of hit albums and some of the most recognized rock anthems this side of AC/DC. Maybe more than anything else you can say about the band is that it is the home of guitar player extraordinaire Eddie Van Halen, the man most recognize as one of the most influential axemen ever. In fact it has been said many a time that he is only the second player to ever completely change the way people look at a guitar, the first being Jimi Hendrix of course.

All of that probably sounds like unabashed hero worship, and you would be correct. How that makes you feel will go a long way in determining whether or not you are going to enjoy Abel Sanchez’s writing. In essence VAN HALEN 101 is roughly 400 pages of unadulterated hero worship. So if you are a person that is into VH, and I mean really into them you will most likely enjoy this book and on that basis I would recommend it. Now let’s just say for kicks that you consider yourself a fan of VH and rock ‘n roll in general and think that an unbiased in depth look at a band that has been in the business for 30 years would be interesting. If that describes you, than that recommendation that I gave earlier just got revoked.

You see I have been spoiled over the last couple of years by the writing of Martin Popoff. Having digested a half dozen of his books I have become accustomed to in depth research, countless interviews with band members both past and present as well as thought provoking reviews of all related albums and tours. I felt cheated in the fact that I got none of these things in VAN HALEN 101. Sanchez’s writing style leaves a lot to be desired, in fact there were times where I felt annoyed enough by it that I had to put the book down and walk away. In some ways reading this felt like being cornered by a crazed Oakland Raider fan in a bar who just didn’t know when to shut up and proceeded to yap in your ear for about 6 hours on all things Raider. Unless you yourself were also a rabid Raider fan you would hate them by the time you were paroled from the conversation. This would sum up my feelings about VH after laboring through this book. I have long considered the band to be intriguing, with just the right amount of band turmoil to balance with astounding quality of their music. Place them somewhere between contemporaries like RUSH and UFO on the VH1 Behind the Music drama scale. (not coincidentally these are two bands that Popoff recently wrote about)

Yes the book brings up some little known facts, like the fact that David Lee Roth had previously auditioned and been rejected by the band a couple of years before the classic line up was set. Yes he makes a couple of good points, especially when covering the subject of Eddie being ranked 70th in a recent poll by Rolling Stone dedicated to the 100 greatest rock guitarists of all time. (Zakk Wylde’s reaction to this slight is classic) More often than not though his style is to take a stance on something and then proceed to bludgeon you to death with his opinion on the matter, often stating the obvious ad infinitum. (the constant comparisons with Hendrix get particularly tedious) I for one don’t care to read once, let alone a dozen times, that someone can “play his dick off”. At times it seems like anyone who likes VAN HALEN, has access to the internet and a subscription to Guitar World magazine could have written this. There are no actual interviews with the band members, past or present. In fact it’s never clear if Abel has even met the band. So in essence he is just a huge fan who has had the will and drives to put his feelings for them in writing. For that he should be commended, but I wish it had been advertised as such. Naming a book VAN HALEN 101, makes you think that you are going to shown the inner circle of the band, insight into not only their public persona but their personal lives as well. That is never the case sadly. He does get quotes from 100 different artists about Eddie Van Halen. Some are well thought out and touching, others are so generic that they could have applied to anyone. At times I began wondering if Eddie has died and I missed it, this often feels like a eulogy.

PITRIFF RATING – 4/10 - I have often dreamed of writing my own book, but that dream is usually crushed upon reading something by an actual author and the realization that I have neither the skills nor the dedication. VAN HALEN 101 had no such effect on me, if anything it tells me that just about anything can get published one way or another. In the end this would have been more aptly titled “Hi, My Name Is Abel Sanchez and I Am a Van Halen-a-holic”. Then in unison we all could have responded with the appropriate “Hi Abel”.

Added:_ Saturday, October 08, 2005
    Reviewer: _Shawn Gould
    Score:

http://pitriff.com/modules.php?op=m...wcontent&id=472

Mr. SANCHEZ and I got into a bit of a flame war over at the ARMY. No harm no foul, but schilling your book on VH related message boards is pathetic, and embarrassing. I regret sort of jumping him over there, but still, free adverts should require some sort of donation...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 12.08.05 at 06:42 PM.

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Did anybody else feel like the section on the Eddie licks was fully of "backhanded compliments"? Seemed more than once to say that some of Ed's innovations were just luck.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
    I exchanged a couple of e-mails with Gould, he's an alright dude and a real nice guy:
    He also shills for himself. We offered him a lot of good will here, and in response he created several different user names that were used to create "reviews" of the book. Real nice guy? Alright dude? I guess that depends on how you like being deceived and lied to.

No threads for Abel here.