Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1; 5150
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire; Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

08.13.09 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Can anybody help?

A good friend of mine has a 16 year old son who wants to learn how to play the electric guitar. The kid has virtually no playing experience at all. My friend wants to purchase him one for Christmas.

2 questions: What kind of money is reasonable to spend on an electric guitar? (My friend was thinking around $500).

Secondly, what brand/model should he purchase?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try any of the following out at your local Guitar Center / music shop:

Ibanez RG model
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/512492/
    OLP MM-1 or MM-1F
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/516000/
    Fender Stratocaster
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/510000/

Most of these guitars share the same qualities: Made over seas, cheap parts, but will yield descent tone through a good amp and get a student playing.

The problem with these, and most cheap guitars, are that they're not set up when you buy them. If you buy one, have the shop do a SETUP on the guitar and make sure they do INTONATION, TRUSS ROD, and FRET DRESSING to get the action down very low. Ask the student what style they want to play. If they're into country or blues, tell the shop you want the action to be medium for country & blues. If they're into rock or metal, tell the shop the action needs to be VERY low (and your student will have to accept a little fret buzz). Hopefully you understand what I'm getting at. But the setup is a KEY thing to ask for.

If you're willing to try something risky, check out retailers who deal in all import guitars like this:
    http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html
    I can't vouch for the quality of the instruments but I've been impressed with the prices and I figured if I ever had a student who wanted something very cheap, I'd have them try this place. Keep in mind however that if you get a guitar from places like this, you'll need to get a setup done once the guitar comes to your door.

Also, don't neglect the amplifier. I've had students who absolutely refuse to practice because the tone from an 8" speaker Crate amplifier drove them crazy because "it doesn't sound like _________". If possible, get a modeling amplifier like the Behringer V-Ampire for a student. yes, this is again another $250 investment but at least there will be tones on that amp the student will hopefully latch onto and enjoy playing. Otherwise, they may not practice and then the guitar investment was worthless. Students don't need the $1500 Marshall half-stack but they also shouldn't have a $25 Crate either, in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1; 5150
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire; Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

08.13.09 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Info

Thanks HipCat for the information.

I really appreciate it.....Happy Holidays to you & yours........

Last Online

01.26.10 @ 12:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

check out jay turser guitars! They are inexpensive and look really cool. They are made well for a over seas guitar. I looked at the les paul and sg style models and they play better than the epiphone cheapies. even the frets look really good.

www.jayturser.com
    Last edited by Ed shred; 12.06.05 at 10:28 AM.