Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

There all good!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Replace Tolex for my Marshall head?

Ok, I need your help! I've got a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL head that is in need of being re-tolexed. The guy who I got it from gave me a super deal on it( I wonder why!) and the black covering on it is pretty beat up. The actual amp sounds great, so it's just the cosmetics that I'm concerned about. First off, Where can I get replacement tolex, and most important, is it tough to do if I were to try tackling it myself? Has anyone out there done it before? Any tips, advice would be great. I was thinking of doing it a different color than the standard blah black, like red or grey, or something. thanks
    "I endorsed the guitar I used to play, I designed this one.....Big Difference!" EVH

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can find Marshall tolex on Ebay, there's a store called Zeppelin Music Store that sells a variety of colors, I've seen red, purple, blue other than the traditional black. Other than that there's www.vibroworld.com which sells quite a large variety of tolex, just check the site.
    Also keep in mind that if real Marshall tolex is too expensive for you or if you just want to try you hand with something less pricey you can always buy some leatherette that can do a good tolex impression.

About the technical part, I think it's a delicate job to do. First off you'll HAVE to rip the corners off of your head or cab and buy new sets cos' there's just NO way you can put them back on. So first of, be extra careful when ripping the corners off. Then you'll have to rip the old tolex off, that might be the easiest part, try to find places where it's already coming off and start from there.
    Then, from what I know, there's a great amount of glue that you'll have to sand off and like any sanding job, it's a pain in the ass. If you've ever sanded a guitar you'll know what I mean.
    After that it's all a matter of taking measures and gluing the tolex which isn't an easy task, not impossible but you gotta be careful AND fast because of the glue.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Favorite VH Album

There all good!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

05.23.12 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok, that helps me alot. I've also heard that I need to go buy somekind of a roller, to get the tolex to be even when I'm laying it. Ive looked around town here, and can't see to find anyone who does it. Anyway thanks for the help.
    "I endorsed the guitar I used to play, I designed this one.....Big Difference!" EVH