Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Holiday Travel Tips...

Tis the season to hit the road and there's a few things you should know.

If you are booking on the internet through a 3rd Party travel website, such as Expidia.com, Travelocity.com or Hotels.com, be aware that there is a $5 fee attached to these types of reservations, this means you paid five bucks more than you would have if you'd booked through the direct website. When booking with these guys you need to always call the property you've made the reservation at and confirm that you are getting exactly what you reserved. Hotels.com rutinely books people into smoking rooms at our motel, since it is a 3rd patry reservation, we don't have to move you if we don't feel like it. Hotels.com fucked up, not us. Hotels.com and Expidia.com are also nutorious for not forwarding reservations to the property, that means that when you show up at the motel they don't know that you are coming and haven't set aside a room. If it's a big event weekend you're screwed because the hotel will be sold out, and since the reservation was never forwarded to the hotel it's not their fault. This is no fun at 11:30pm on a Saturday night. The solution is, once again, call the property and confirm your reservation.
    Have your goddam reservation info printed and with you, the front desk staff ain't psychic!! And don't give them shit if they can't find your name in the computer, you are the retard who doesn't have your shit together and they aren't there to babysit. I can't count how many times a print out of a reservation has saved someone's bacon. You're an adult, act like it.

If you have specific requirements, inform the proptery in advance by picking up a telephone and CALLING THEM!!! If you have medications that require a refridgerator, if you are handicapped and cannot use stairs, if you are affraid of heights and want a ground floor room or if you are traveling with a family member who's in a wheelchair then you need to clue in the motel/hotel in advance. Some places don't have refridgerators, other places only have two handicapped rooms and many places do not have room service or staff on site 24/7 that can assist in an emergancy. Only you know your situation so don't stay at a place that can't deal with you, ask questions and if you don't like the answers then stay elsewhere.

**True story, Friday night I had to deal with a Diabetic. He didn't specify in his reservation that he needed a refridgerator for his meds and he wanted a smoking room. Well we didn't have any smoking rooms available that had a fridge so he had to keep his meds in the office fridge. Sure enough, hotshot had some kind of reaction and couldn't get to his meds in time and it put him into a nasty diabetic stuppor. Had he informed us in advance we could have accomidated him, obviously his health situation mandated a fridge in the room . A quick phone call could have made all of the difference.**

Call and ask about parking in advance. Big cities don't always have parking close by and often parking is an additional charge. Also, if you are driving some kind of large SUV or truck that's taller than 6'4" then you should check to see if your tank is even going to fit in the parking garage. I cannot tell you how many times I've had some guy with a jacked-up Suburban get in my face and whine because he has to park on the street because he can't fit it on our lot.

Don't leave valuables in your car. The theives know it's the holiday season too.

There are a few quality mapping services on the internet, use them. Know where you are going, this means write down the name of the hotel (exact name, there are 9 Best Westerns in Monterey) and the address and phone number!! I work for a chain and there is another franchise in the city and I spend half my time giving directions to the other one. I have lost all patients with people who've obviously made no effort to read a map.

Learn to read a map. If you can't navigate there is something wrong with you.

Double check everything before you pull out of the driveway, reservations, directions and anything else that you are going to need.

Have fun...
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    **True story, Friday night I had to deal with a Diabetic. He didn't specify in his reservation that he needed a refridgerator for his meds and he wanted a smoking room. Well we didn't have any smoking rooms available that had a fridge so he had to keep his meds in the office fridge. Sure enough, hotshot had some kind of reaction and couldn't get to his meds in time and it put him into a nasty diabetic stuppor. Had he informed us in advance we could have accomidated him, obviously his health situation mandated a fridge in the room . A quick phone call could have made all of the difference.**
    So basically his need to smoke came before his needs as a diabetic. I love smokers...not.

Lots of good advice there.

Another thing - at most hotels/motels/inns/whathaveyou, a request is just that - a request - it's often not guaranteed. If you request a rollaway and a hotel has 5 rollaways and they're all out when you arrive, you probably aren't getting a rollaway. Doesn't matter if you made your reservation 6 months early - they aren't going to march into someone's room and take their rollaway away and give it to you. Now a good hotel might call around and see if they can borrow one from another hotel, but again, that's not always possible. Same thing with particular room requests whether it's smoking preference or fireplace or a particular number or whatever - if someone's already there - they're not going to be asked to move to accomodate you, no matter how long ago you've made your reservation (that was always my favourite line - can't you tell - "But I made this reservation months ago...")

And for goodness sakes, let the night auditor get some shuteye too!
    Last edited by billy007; 12.04.05 at 06:39 PM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's true. Nothing's guaranteed, if you really need it, bring it with you.

I forgot the Check In/Check Out times. Some places will charge you a partial day or whole day extra if you check in before the posted check-in time. Other places won't let you check in early - period. We get people who've come down for a wedding and have to be somewhere at 1:00pm and need a room to change in. Our check-in time is 2:00pm and if the place was sold out the previous night then there simply are no rooms to check inot until 2:00pm.

Again, not our problem. You need to check arrival times. If you NEED to be in your room at 8:00am then you should have checked in the night before.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

...or just stay home.

I don't do holiday traveling because my family is so close. I can't imagine having to fly somewhere during this time of year. Between holidays and weather, it just can't be fun.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo
    ...or just stay home.
    That's what I do!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

+1.

I do my "holiday" thing at Thanksgiving -

A. B/c I get 2 vaca days as oppsed to 1
    B. B/c traveling is slightly easier, and
    C. Ima cheap bastard and it gets me off the hook for having to
    buy and be bought for.

So anyone know of any good "orphan" parties this Christmas? - (sniff)...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoHalen
    That's what I do!
    Same here. I hate traveling. Vacations are a waste of money.

There's plenty to do (and NOT do) at home.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

To be honest with you all, I have holiday travelers, especially around Christmas and Thanksgiving. Many of the folks we check in on those holidays are people who either can't stand to stay in the same house with their families or are not invited to do so because they are just misserable people. Either way, they usually take it out on me.

One other fun fact. There is a difference between the quality of a $49-a-night and a $250-a-night Hotel/Motel. $49 gets you a bed and a T.V. and a bathroom. $250 gets you a nice bed, nice sheets, nice T.V., room service and all kinds of goodies.

You are a fool if you expect a $250 value for $49.

My Blog:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Sound like you expect to have a good crowd for Christmas. Any hotel/motel I ever worked at (well, maybe except the one in Philadelphia) was always dead - lucky if we had 10% occupancy!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is going to be my 3rd Christmas here and it's the busiest holiday traffic that we've ever seen. Last Thnaksgiving (2004) we had 9 rooms, this year we had 31. Christmas, as of now, is 26 rooms and we expect that to climb by 12 more.

Thanksgiving I thought was a fluke due to the lack of snow up at Tahoe and the great weather we've been having up to that point. Not many families, mostly single couples with a wide range of ages.

My Blog: