Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.16.07 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Lurker's Thoghts (long)

Hey guys, I've lurked around here since the VH 3 days and i've always enjoyed reading opinions but never really felt the need to register and post but i was recetnly going through some of my old Guitar World magazines Ed was in and got to thinking about how it seems that Edward does not play particularly well with others.I'll just run through a few examples and how I think this ultimatley took the might Van Halen down for good.

1. We all know that he was unhappy with some of the song selections on the earlier albums that were pushed by Ted Templeman, especially on Diver Down. He's said in many recent (almsot 10 years ago, lol) interviews that "I'd rather bomb with my own shit than somebody else's" The addition of cover songs (DINTS, You're No Good) must have been a downer for him in the early days. Ed also says in an interview that Jump (or was it I'll Wait?) was not heard on earlier albums because "Ted or somebody probably voted against it" But Ed was timid soldier in these times and was easily intimidated by Templeman and others and went along with stuff he didn't necessarily love.

2. Here's something else I found interesting. Around 1984 Ed worked very closely with a guy named Donn Landee. He seems to swear by this guy from around 1984 to OU812, talking about how they recorded I'll Wait and how the sucess of 1984 had a lot to do with his relationship with Donn. Then all of the sudden you never hear of this guy again and then his sound changes drastically with FUCK. In the 2004 interview Ed slags a studio worker at 5150 that Ed said lived at his house for years and how all he needs now is just him and Matt Bruck to work efffectively in the studio. (wonder how long Matt will last?)

3. A third point is his endorsements. After the Kramer phase in the late eighties he went with his Musicman model (which was a fabulous guitar) ditched it to go with peavey, his amp manufacturer. The Wolfgang was great, more accessable and affordable to a normal player but he ditches that too. He gets back with Charvel and makes these over priced art guitars that really only fit his playing style. Confusing to say the least. I know plenty of players who have stuck with one manufacturer for years. And Eddie definantly had the better Axe with MM and Peavey.

4. Anyway, back to my meandering thoughts. Eddie and the band dump Sammy after Balance. The reason for this in my mind is because as they mature into an older band they feel that "wham Bam ,oh Amsterdam" probably won't age well and they should eveolve into something a little more serious. Enter Gary Cherone.

5. The fifth and final point is this. Eddie had been butting heads and breaking off relationships with people his whole career trying to gain the musical control he wanted in order to be happy. The stuff that he had wanted to get out for 20 years had been suffocated by various producers, singers and collabortaors I'm sure he felt that with VH 3 he would achieve the mature sound he needed with the drastically less cock rocking lyrics of Gary, someone who was probably just happy to have the gig and would fall in line with Ed on most points (Hell, they sang Romeo Delight on the 1998 tour, no Sam ego problem there). Another improtant aspect to this time period was that eddie was sober and in a terrific state of mind. He seemed in a very healthy place in the 3 interviews. His playing was brilliant on the 3 tour. The problem with all this was that the public hated the album and I'm sure he played to his share of empty seats at certian venues across the country.

In closing, the public rejected 3, something Ed had literally spent his whole life working towards. Where do you go from there? Certianally not backwards to the almost 60 Sammy Hagar who has less to say with his lyrics now than in 96' And a renuinion with Roth for any other reason than a nostalgia tour would be a mistake. You can't just turn back the clock and be 25 again singing about pussy, it was fine at the time, but its just rediculous at age 50.You can't expect Van Halen to move in the directio nthey were going with Gary using Dave as the singer. Dave brought only a youthful element of success to the band that cannot be duplicated at the age of 50. Van Halen 3 was something Ed wanted to build on but his fans wanted to believe they were still in their 20's and party, they weren't ready to grow with Ed. I think the poor man was devestated by this more than we realize and is a big reason why he doesn't give a shit about us anymore and wants to just focus on himself (good for him) Anyway, I hope he gets his shit together and puts out some solo stuff someday.

Favorite VH Album

dont ask i love em all
    Favorite VH Song

ARE U KIDDING ME
    Last Online

06.16.12 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

a rehash of old theories. nobody knows till the band decides to speak out... so when it happens it happens...... life goes on ...............

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.23.15 @ 01:57 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I hate to burst your bubble, Ed's only human, and, it's just rock 'n' roll..ain't that complicated...people get older, shit changes....shit happens.

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Bryanvh]
    You can't just turn back the clock and be 25 again singing about pussy, it was fine at the time, but its just rediculous at age 50.QUOTE]

What!?! Are you dead? Pussy only becomes MORE important with age. If not THE most important thing. There's this myth that when a man reaches a certain age, he loses interest in cooch and his dick stops working properly. That's a load of crap. His crank stops working because he's sick of nailing his overweight, short-haired, nag of a wife. There is no cure for Erectile Dysfunction like a 20 year old smokin' piece of ass. And if you are one of the fortunate guys on the planet who make it to 50 AND can also bag a young, sweet, piece of action; well God bless you. And God bless Van Halen for giving guys hope that anything's possible, even bangin' hot twentysomethings into your 50's and beyond.
    Last edited by Darby; 12.02.05 at 06:30 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanvh
    Hey guys, I've lurked around here since the VH 3 days and i've always enjoyed reading opinions but never really felt the need to register and post but i was recetnly going through some of my old Guitar World magazines Ed was in and got to thinking about how it seems that Edward does not play particularly well with others.I'll just run through a few examples and how I think this ultimatley took the might Van Halen down for good.

1. We all know that he was unhappy with some of the song selections on the earlier albums that were pushed by Ted Templeman, especially on Diver Down. He's said in many recent (almsot 10 years ago, lol) interviews that "I'd rather bomb with my own shit than somebody else's" The addition of cover songs (DINTS, You're No Good) must have been a downer for him in the early days. Ed also says in an interview that Jump (or was it I'll Wait?) was not heard on earlier albums because "Ted or somebody probably voted against it" But Ed was timid soldier in these times and was easily intimidated by Templeman and others and went along with stuff he didn't necessarily love.

2. Here's something else I found interesting. Around 1984 Ed worked very closely with a guy named Donn Landee. He seems to swear by this guy from around 1984 to OU812, talking about how they recorded I'll Wait and how the sucess of 1984 had a lot to do with his relationship with Donn. Then all of the sudden you never hear of this guy again and then his sound changes drastically with FUCK. In the 2004 interview Ed slags a studio worker at 5150 that Ed said lived at his house for years and how all he needs now is just him and Matt Bruck to work efffectively in the studio. (wonder how long Matt will last?)

3. A third point is his endorsements. After the Kramer phase in the late eighties he went with his Musicman model (which was a fabulous guitar) ditched it to go with peavey, his amp manufacturer. The Wolfgang was great, more accessable and affordable to a normal player but he ditches that too. He gets back with Charvel and makes these over priced art guitars that really only fit his playing style. Confusing to say the least. I know plenty of players who have stuck with one manufacturer for years. And Eddie definantly had the better Axe with MM and Peavey.

4. Anyway, back to my meandering thoughts. Eddie and the band dump Sammy after Balance. The reason for this in my mind is because as they mature into an older band they feel that "wham Bam ,oh Amsterdam" probably won't age well and they should eveolve into something a little more serious. Enter Gary Cherone.

5. The fifth and final point is this. Eddie had been butting heads and breaking off relationships with people his whole career trying to gain the musical control he wanted in order to be happy. The stuff that he had wanted to get out for 20 years had been suffocated by various producers, singers and collabortaors I'm sure he felt that with VH 3 he would achieve the mature sound he needed with the drastically less cock rocking lyrics of Gary, someone who was probably just happy to have the gig and would fall in line with Ed on most points (Hell, they sang Romeo Delight on the 1998 tour, no Sam ego problem there). Another improtant aspect to this time period was that eddie was sober and in a terrific state of mind. He seemed in a very healthy place in the 3 interviews. His playing was brilliant on the 3 tour. The problem with all this was that the public hated the album and I'm sure he played to his share of empty seats at certian venues across the country.

In closing, the public rejected 3, something Ed had literally spent his whole life working towards. Where do you go from there? Certianally not backwards to the almost 60 Sammy Hagar who has less to say with his lyrics now than in 96' And a renuinion with Roth for any other reason than a nostalgia tour would be a mistake. You can't just turn back the clock and be 25 again singing about pussy, it was fine at the time, but its just rediculous at age 50.You can't expect Van Halen to move in the directio nthey were going with Gary using Dave as the singer. Dave brought only a youthful element of success to the band that cannot be duplicated at the age of 50. Van Halen 3 was something Ed wanted to build on but his fans wanted to believe they were still in their 20's and party, they weren't ready to grow with Ed. I think the poor man was devestated by this more than we realize and is a big reason why he doesn't give a shit about us anymore and wants to just focus on himself (good for him) Anyway, I hope he gets his shit together and puts out some solo stuff someday.
    Great thoughts and I happen to agree with a lot of them.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

i agree with some of this to a point. ed WAS proud of III , when they premiered it on the radio, ed couldnt say enough about it. cherone wasnt bad, the music wasnt bad, it just wasnt the vh we had all grown to know and love. hell, its not my favorite album, but theres some good stuff there. but to many of us, it isnt vh if theyre not singing about partying, getting laid , and having blazing guitar solos. everyones a kid at heart.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'd be happy with a Tuba or Cello solo album, than thinking I'm not going to hear EVH write again. He didn't play the guitar, he played the guitar the way his Pa played clarinet. He had the natural musical structure of a song from birth, yet he was always playing what others wanted to hear. I want to hear what Ed wants to play, and that pick from his last concert is forever plastered to his son's autograph I framed. No Ebay here, they'll bury me with it. Right now, Ed is contemplating a solo effort. Nothing too complex for me. Hey, Ed, howz about some dinner muzak on the organ, or a symphony? What the phuk

Ph@

Here's my buddy Jack who is cancer free and drinking Uncle Charlie Morgan's water - Nature's Reward. Jack's wife and sons drink it too. Charlie has no electricity. Charlie exists to help people and uses his 50 acres of land 10,000 up past BlackHawk, Co. to get as many people to drink his water as need healing. "It will take a wrinkle right off a woman's face." Even a Phatie like me had wrinkles, but no more. Yep, eventually only 150 of the richest people on earth will be able to drink it. If you know an ill person, Charlie Morgan can be found free (for a little while).

This has been a public service announcement in support of the American Cancer Research Project.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

[QUOTE=Darby]
    You can't just turn back the clock and be 25 again singing about pussy, it was fine at the time, but its just rediculous at age 50.QUOTE]

What!?! Are you dead? Pussy only becomes MORE important with age. If not THE most important thing. There's this myth that when a man reaches a certain age, he loses interest in cooch and his dick stops working properly. That's a load of crap. His crank stops working because he's sick of nailing his overweight, short-haired, nag of a wife. There is no cure for Erectile Dysfunction like a 20 year old smokin' piece of ass. And if you are one of the fortunate guys on the planet who make it to 50 AND can also bag a young, sweet, piece of action; well God bless you. And God bless Van Halen for giving guys hope that anything's possible, even bangin' hot twentysomethings into your 50's and beyond.
    Nothin but net :::swoosh::::

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW
    Great thoughts and I happen to agree with a lot of them.
    I do too.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Isn't it obvious?
    Last Online

09.13.06 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh, please! Yeah, the old guys get it up faster for young chicks, but they can't KEEP it up for long! That's why I'm only going to look at younger men when I turn 35. (BTW -- I'm sure that overweight, short-haired nag of a wife is really turned on by that pot-bellied, balding jerk of a husband, too. Only NOT!)
    Last edited by blacknblue; 12.02.05 at 09:41 PM.
    Honey, I ain't through with you!

GO ILLINI!!!!!!!

Last Online

07.09.15 @ 08:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue
    Oh, please! Yeah, the old guys get it up faster for young chicks, but they can't KEEP it up for long! That's why I'm only going to look at younger men when I turn 35. (BTW -- I'm sure that overweight, short-haired nag of a wife is really turned on by that pot-bellied, balding jerk of a husband, too. Only NOT!)
    The hardest part is getting it up. Once it's up, it's up for as long as you want it. And for the pot bellied, balding jerk - Well, he pays the bills so his look is irrelevant. Women need to realize that their value decreases as time goes by where as for men their value only increases. Women base their value on their looks and looks decrease exponentially with time. Men base their value on the money they make and that only increases exponentially with time.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    I'd be happy with a Tuba or Cello solo album, than thinking I'm not going to hear EVH write again. He didn't play the guitar, he played the guitar the way his Pa played clarinet. He had the natural musical structure of a song from birth, yet he was always playing what others wanted to hear. I want to hear what Ed wants to play, and that pick from his last concert is forever plastered to his son's autograph I framed. No Ebay here, they'll bury me with it. Right now, Ed is contemplating a solo effort. Nothing too complex for me. Hey, Ed, howz about some dinner muzak on the organ, or a symphony? What the phuk

Ph@

Here's my buddy Jack who is cancer free and drinking Uncle Charlie Morgan's water - Nature's Reward. Jack's wife and sons drink it too. Charlie has no electricity. Charlie exists to help people and uses his 50 acres of land 10,000 up past BlackHawk, Co. to get as many people to drink his water as need healing. "It will take a wrinkle right off a woman's face." Even a Phatie like me had wrinkles, but no more. Yep, eventually only 150 of the richest people on earth will be able to drink it. If you know an ill person, Charlie Morgan can be found free (for a little while).

This has been a public service announcement in support of the American Cancer Research Project.

good stuff my friend...

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Darby]

You so beat me to it...this single handedly made me disagree with him...

Hang 'Em High Blind Lemon Loons's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind Of Truth!!
    Favorite VH Song

Stay Frosty Whooooo! Look Out!
    Last Online

12.03.17 @ 07:20 AM
    Liked 154 Times in 114 Posts

Donor

Well......well......well......

Let's hear it for the Eddie apologists!! What about LSD? Need more complaints about cover tunes. And let's not admit to Eddie, Al, and Mike ruining the once-legendary band. "Dancin' In The Streets," is not Van Halen...but Can't Stop Lovin' You--now that DEFINES Van Halen right there one time!!!!!!
    ASHES TO ASHES...DUST TO DUST...IF THE WOMEN DON'T GET YA, THE WHISKEY MUST!!...

"I used to play the blues alone in all the local joints," he explained. 'The only thing that I can really play on guitar to this day is the blues. I heard Doc Watson and his son playing 15 years ago, and from there I got into Leadbelly and John Lee Hooker."--DLR

If you pay attention -- what I sing, the guitar sings, too, and what the guitar says, I say.--Mississippi Fred McDowell

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.16.07 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for some of the feedback guys. To whoever said Ed is human and shit happens, I think that that is illustrated with my post. But your wrong, with this band everything is VERY complicated.

And to the guy who wants to chase pussy when he's 50 I say get real man. .........But check back with me on that in 30 years , okay?