Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Teacher Bitch Board/Chalk Talk Thread

I thought I'd make a thread for all the teachers on the board, and anyone who's interesting in teaching/educational matters. Most of us know that teaching can be very frustrating as well as rewarding. So please feel free to introduce yourself, and share your complaints as well as you rewards about all things related to the teaching profession:

I'll start.....I teach 6th grade in Los Angeles. I've been at the same school for 7 years. Today, I've got no complaints. Its Friday. Its cool outside and the students are relatively calm. I teach science and we are studying volcanoes. So, today I shared my Hawaii trip video with my students. I got some decent footage from Kilauea volcano from the big island. They enjoyed it, and it sparked their interest about the chapter we are reading on volcanoes.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

We just did a cool volcano unit, as well...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

asst. principal

My Friday was hell. I had at least 15 calls from parents. I had one parent show up to have lunch with her child. She confronted and exchanged words with another student in the process. The student said "fuck you" in response. The parent came to me at which point I instructed her to never confront a student that is not hers again. We invite/encourage parental involvment, but this is too far. In the end she is demanding a copy of the discipline referral and knowledge of the punishment. We (the administration) refused therefore she took it upon herself to call the supt, school board members, and local police to file charges.

I will not tolerate this on my campus.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda
    asst. principal

My Friday was hell. I had at least 15 calls from parents. I had one parent show up to have lunch with her child. She confronted and exchanged words with another student in the process. The student said "fuck you" in response. The parent came to me at which point I instructed her to never confront a student that is not hers again. We invite/encourage parental involvment, but this is too far. In the end she is demanding a copy of the discipline referral and knowledge of the punishment. We (the administration) refused therefore she took it upon herself to call the supt, school board members, and local police to file charges.

I will not tolerate this on my campus.
    Wow....that sucks!!! Don't you just love that parental support?? Similar events have happened on our campus, where parents just show up without a pass that they are supposed to receive at the main entrance, and then proceed to confront teachers during class instruction about why their child is recieving an "F" etc.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I've had the pleasure of teaching groups of teachers the past few weeks. It's like herding cats. Y'all are quite conditioned to doing whatever you want in a classroom environment.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.01.07 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool thread. I am a 39 year old about to give up a lucrative (yeah right) career in sales to become an elementary school teacher. I will begin student teaching next month. Tips of the trade are welcome.
    By the way, I'm not real good with baby-steps. My specialty is ass-kicking. -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I've had the pleasure of teaching groups of teachers the past few weeks. It's like herding cats. Y'all are quite conditioned to doing whatever you want in a classroom environment.
    I guess I won't take offense to that...

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by valdez44
    I thought I'd make a thread for all the teachers on the board, and anyone who's interesting in teaching/educational matters. Most of us know that teaching can be very frustrating as well as rewarding. So please feel free to introduce yourself, and share your complaints as well as you rewards about all things related to the teaching profession:

I'll start.....I teach 6th grade in Los Angeles. I've been at the same school for 7 years. Today, I've got no complaints. Its Friday. Its cool outside and the students are relatively calm. I teach science and we are studying volcanoes. So, today I shared my Hawaii trip video with my students. I got some decent footage from Kilauea volcano from the big island. They enjoyed it, and it sparked their interest about the chapter we are reading on volcanoes.
    I would like very much to teach sixth grade. How is it? Have you taught any other grades?
    By the way, I'm not real good with baby-steps. My specialty is ass-kicking. -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Rude
    I would like very much to teach sixth grade. How is it? Have you taught any other grades?
    I have worked with K-8th graders. I enjoy 6th grade the most, which is why I teach at that level. I work well with younger kids too, but I'm not real great on decorating the classroom, and doing all kinds of cool art activities that so many elementary teachers are excellent at. 7th and 8th graders are....you know going through adolescence, which can be a bitch for just everyone involved. So, 6th graders can still be molded, so to speak. They haven't yet turn into teenage monsters.

My advice for any new teachers is to learn from your colleagues, stay positive because you will get down, surround yourself with positive people. Its very easy to feel overwhelmed because you will be. But the good news is if you are at a good school, your colleagues have all been there and will help. I remember my first year I ate lunch every single day with the teacher next door to me, and just picked his brain. How do you do your grades? How do you keep up with your grading? How do you keep your rollbook? Any questions I had, I asked him, and thankfully he was always cool about it, and really taught me most of what I know today. In addition, if you find yourself having problems in the classroom ( I hope Limey's not reading this)....DO NOT GO TALK TO THE PRINCIPAL!!! or any A.P......consult your colleagues first! You do not want to come across as someone who bitches to the principal, or can't handle their job....

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    That's one of the biggest problems in education...the isolation. It does lead to myopia and it's damned hard to get people to open doors even by grade level...It's a cultural norm in schools that needs to change.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Rude
    Cool thread. I am a 39 year old about to give up a lucrative (yeah right) career in sales to become an elementary school teacher. I will begin student teaching next month. Tips of the trade are welcome.
    Take your time, be flexible with yourself, plan well, and change...Teaching is an art and any artist will tell you the best art flows and can take new directions...Be open to that...

Regarding the kids...I take a Biblical approach...FORGIVE and move on! You'll burn out in less than the 5 year norm if you are one to hold grudges...Make home visits and make LOTS of POSITIVE phone calls...Unfortunately, you'll make a positive call and a parent will tell you that they have never received a good phone call from the school...You can change that...

Regarding your mental health...Take a sick day when you need one and don't work on weekends...If you are at the school on a Sunday, take your butt home and watch a ball game...

And did I mention forgiveness?? Bottom line is teaching is like golf...Sometimes your greatest power comes from your finesse game...

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to it. Does anyone teach and coach? Because that's what I really want to do.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by valdez44
    In addition, if you find yourself having problems in the classroom ( I hope Limey's not reading this)....DO NOT GO TALK TO THE PRINCIPAL!!! or any A.P......consult your colleagues first! You do not want to come across as someone who bitches to the principal, or can't handle their job....
    On the contrary, it is my job as an administrator to help ensure the safety, well-being, and education of every student on my campus. There is no shame in asking for advice etc. I personally do not like the new teachers who think they know everything and view themselves as tenured. They struggle more than any group. I have a few new teachers now who are "on the ropes" as far as i'm concerned. Now as far as whining, yes consult your colleagues. I have no patience for nonsense.

I'm at a middle school 6-8 with approx. 700 kids. We implemented a new program this year. We have a teaming concept on a block schedule. There are 6 academic teams with 2 per grade. Our mascot is a Tiger. Each team is a tiger: Bengal, Javan, Siberian, Caspian, Sumatran, and Indo. Each team or den shall we say has a common prep period that meets every other day. They have helped to build strong school spirit. Every 6 weeks we have an academic pep rally. This pep rally recognizes individual student's as well as academic team's accomplishments. It is basically a rewards program in a pep rally format. I rate the dens according to best attendance (teacher and student), all As,A/B, total A/B honor roll, and least discipline. The best overall team statistically is the Dynamic Den. The "Dynamic Den" receives the banner to hang by their hallway for 6 weeks. The most spirited den receives the fiberglass mascot for the 6 week period. I have one team with nearly 50% of their students now on the honor roll. Last year I had 1292 discipline referrals. I have just over a 100 12 weeks into this year.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda
    On the contrary, it is my job as an administrator to help ensure the safety, well-being, and education of every student on my campus. There is no shame in asking for advice etc. I personally do not like the new teachers who think they know everything and view themselves as tenured. They struggle more than any group. I have a few new teachers now who are "on the ropes" as far as i'm concerned. Now as far as whining, yes consult your colleagues. I have no patience for nonsense.

I'm at a middle school 6-8 with approx. 700 kids. We implemented a new program this year. We have a teaming concept on a block schedule. There are 6 academic teams with 2 per grade. Our mascot is a Tiger. Each team is a tiger: Bengal, Javan, Siberian, Caspian, Sumatran, and Indo. Each team or den shall we say has a common prep period that meets every other day. They have helped to build strong school spirit. Every 6 weeks we have an academic pep rally. This pep rally recognizes individual student's as well as academic team's accomplishments. It is basically a rewards program in a pep rally format. I rate the dens according to best attendance (teacher and student), all As,A/B, total A/B honor roll, and least discipline. The best overall team statistically is the Dynamic Den. The "Dynamic Den" receives the banner to hang by their hallway for 6 weeks. The most spirited den receives the fiberglass mascot for the 6 week period. I have one team with nearly 50% of their students now on the honor roll. Last year I had 1292 discipline referrals. I have just over a 100 12 weeks into this year.
    I agree with you.....however each school is different. Our school is a middle school as well, with over 2000 students. Often going straight to the A.P.'s is a bad sign that you cannot handle your classroom management etc. Of course, there are times when you need to talk to them about certain things. But at our school, we have learned to rely on our colleagues 1st....ask advice etc., and if that doesn't help then go downstairs and speak with an A.P.....but do not come across bitchy or whiney because they have too much other shit to do to hear your cries.

By the way....way cool idea with the tigers!!

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

My program is a little different than most, being focused on adult education. That said, here's what I've seen.

Teachers get insular. They focus on their students, which is great, but they often miss the bigger picture. We used to have one program where the distrust that the teachers held towards the administration was paralyzing. Nothing got communicated, nothing got done, and everyone (students/staff) suffered. Now they've got a new administrator, and they're working with her as a team. That attitude change has brought the program around. The students are performing better, the staff is happier, and there are good feelings all around.

Some of our other programs aren't so happy. The teaching staff is so terribly distrustful of the administration. It's a poisonous environment. It doesn't have to be that way. Kinda sad.

RR, I think it's great that you're getting into teaching at 39. Ten or fifteen years down the line I'd like to do that myself, too.