Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin with the Devil
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Liked 95 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default One big can of worms..but here goes.

Any opinions as to why Ed doesn't do any noticeable work on a regular basis?
    Now before I get slaughtered for the comment I am aware he does do
    "something" meaning he probably records whatever riff pops in his head or
    doodles on the piano and what not but what about other stuff?
    A charity concert perhaps?
    I know it's been brought up before but why no Live Aid or Live 8?
    No concert for Cancer? Ok forget charity stuff...
    why no significant appearances on anyone elses albums? What does he do?
    Not that he hasn't earned the right to sit home and pound as much
    "Smoking Loon" as he wants, but from a fan perspective doesn't anyone
    agree that he seems to be a bit stingy with appearances as well as working
    with others?? Is it that he isn't asked to sit in? Is it that he just says
    "No Thanks"? I am aware he has a child. Many of us do. We still manage to
    contribute and even help others when asked. It's not like I'm wondering why
    he won't help me move. I'm just wondering what he does?! Can anyone
    offer up what a "normal" week might be like for this guy? I'm just not buying
    the "he's in the studio" bit all that much. I think Dave said it best when he
    said: "Wasting time isn't murder, it's suicide." Love him or hate him the
    dude stays busy. EMT, radio gig, small shows here and there etc..
    Just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Later
    C.
    Carmine

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good question Carmine. I have nothing to offer other than I guess he doesn't want to right now. I can't believe he hasn't had offers. He did sit in on that Christmas CD of Luke's a couple of years back. Who knows what goes on in that head of his.

I know a lot will start in with it's because he's drunk all the time. But I don't think that's it. I think it because he just doesn't want to. He doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to anymore. It's not like he needs the cash.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream is over, Dreams
    Last Online

01.02.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

I always enjoy the speculation on this board when it makes sense or when it's funny, but the longer I read posts here and listed to interviews with Ed I relize that none of us have a clue what is going on in his world. If he ever pulls togather and make a comback someday we'll know. Some times when I see footage of last years tour I think he might need some charity. Who knows.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin with the Devil
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:40 PM
    Liked 95 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Thx for the ear Sunya, I'm not saying the guys a bum...it's just odd to me.
    Contributing to Luke's X-mas album "years ago" isn't exactly steady work.
    He did the Riff to "Beat it" too! Just not exactly anything recent? So it's>>
    Take Woof to school, eat Mac and cheese, doodle on guitar, pick Woof up,
    Drink the Loon, repeat....??

C.
    Carmine

Last Online

10.14.16 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Good question.

I was just thinking about this on my way into work today. Why does Ed think that everything he works HAS to labeled "Van Halen"? Why can't he hook up with a singer and a bass player and record an album. Maybe even do a short tour behind it. It doesn't mean that said singer is the new front-man (or front-woman) for Van Halen. They don't even necessarily have to play any Van Halen tunes on the theoretical tour. You know what? Forget the tour! Just find some people you want to make some music with and do it. Like Layne Stanley did with Mad Season. Like Chris Cornell did with Temple of the Dog. Like the Traveling Wilburys.

Better yet, just find a singer to record an Eddie solo album with.

I think one of two things is true. Either:
    1) Ed really isn't driven by the need to create music anymore.

or

2) The "Van Halen" legacy is an albatross around his neck. He can't put out anything without it being "Van Halen", and he can't (or won't) find someone to sing the right balance of the back catalog.

Sam has no problem going and doing his own thing. Why can't Ed?
    The only adventures I regret
    are the ones I missed,
    and the thought of all the pretty girls
    I never tried to kiss.
    -DLR

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

It seems to me that for Ed, there is no alternative for VH. If he's not doing that, he doesn't want to do anything else. I can kinda respect that. It's hard for me to say that he's been stingy when I look at Van Halen 1-Learning To See.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.01.13 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As reported by Sammy, Dave and many others Eddie may have a serious drinking problem. Add in the fact that he has always seemed pretty introverted.

Last Online

10.14.16 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
    It seems to me that for Ed, there is no alternative for VH. If he's not doing that, he doesn't want to do anything else. I can kinda respect that. It's hard for me to say that he's been stingy when I look at Van Halen 1-Learning To See.
    It's not a matter of being stingy, Sucka. Why let yourself be limited by the whims of others? Some of my thinking here is based on the presumption that Ed is not interested in finding another singer for VH, acknowledging that the public won't simply accept just anyone in that role. So, if Ed is waiting around on Sam, it looks like he's going to have some spare time on his hands.

Just because Ed is the main creative force behind the music, doesn't mean that it has to be labeled "Van Halen". Look at your boy, Neal Schon. He's in Journey. He's got Soul Sirkus going. He's was part of HSAS. Wasn't he in Bad English? He's got his solo albums. The guy is prolific. And, he is apparently driven to create and produce music. He doesn't limit himself to the band he is most closely associated with (Journey). Where would he be if he sat around waiting on Steve Perry?
    Last edited by KleeHee; 11.29.05 at 12:48 PM.
    The only adventures I regret
    are the ones I missed,
    and the thought of all the pretty girls
    I never tried to kiss.
    -DLR

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it has to do with his insecurity issues that he keeps a low profile. I don't think he feels comfortable doing anything by himself or especially without Alex. I also think his son takes up a huge amount of his time, more than you would guess, trying to help him and his band along.

I've also wondered if Edward ever writes music anonymously for others.

As for offers to play with others, there are a ton of musicians who have said they ask him all the time (I believe they ask him every year to participate in the G3/G4 or so I've read).

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Obviously, Ed prefers to stay within the Van Halen milieu. For better or worse.

At least the guy's loyal to his namesake.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine
    Thx for the ear Sunya, I'm not saying the guys a bum...it's just odd to me.
    Contributing to Luke's X-mas album "years ago" isn't exactly steady work.
    He did the Riff to "Beat it" too! Just not exactly anything recent? So it's>>
    Take Woof to school, eat Mac and cheese, doodle on guitar, pick Woof up,
    Drink the Loon, repeat....??

C.
    I don't think he's a bum either and I don't think you're saying that either Carmine.

I don't know, guess he just doesn't want to do anything big on his own. Who knows.... the shadow bwaaaa hahahahahahahahahahaha

I wish he'd do one of those solo side projects like most wish he would but he'll do what he wants when he wants. He is what he is. I can see what Sucka is saying. I can respect Ed's space. Maybe I don't agree with it, but it's his life to do with it what he will. I'm a greedy fan and want more and always will. There will never be enough of his music for me no matter how much is out there.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carmine
    A charity concert perhaps?
    I know it's been brought up before but why no Live Aid or Live 8?
    No concert for Cancer? Ok forget charity stuff...
    i don't know why people get so offended by their favorite celeb not participating in charity events. for all we know, Ed writes 'em a check...and if he doesn't, it's none of our business.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KleeHee
    It's not a matter of being stingy, Sucka. Why let yourself be limited by the whims of others? Some of my thinking here is based on the presumption that Ed is not interested in finding another singer for VH, acknowledging that the public won't simply accept just anyone in that role. So, if Ed is waiting around on Sam, it looks like he's going to have some spare time on his hands.

Just because Ed is the main creative force behind the music, doesn't mean that it has to be labeled "Van Halen". Look at your boy, Neal Schon. He's in Journey. He's got Soul Sirkus going. He's was part of HSAS. Wasn't he in Bad English? He's got his solo albums. The guy is prolific. And, he is apparently driven to create and produce music. He doesn't limit himself to the band he is most closely associated with (Journey). Where would he be if he sat around waiting on Steve Perry?

A valid point...yet to play devil's advocate (if you will), what if the guy is simply tired of the entire thing?

Let's face it, he has been a teenager his entire life. This has been indulged upon by lead singers, record companies, hangers-on, fans, his own brother for decades.

He has a son...apparently some responsibility (not altogether that much, as witnessed by his behavior on the last tour).

Since he was 23, Ed Van Halen has never had to sweat out a car, rent or mortgage payment. He has only had to doodle on a guitar, sign (then renounce) endorsement deals and look good in photographs.

He has been pampered, pandered to and told he was a genious by all around him for close to 30 years...and now folk wonder why he can not do this or that.

I'd be surprised if he could start his own lawn-mower, let alone cut his own grass.

This guy became a celebrity in the infant 80's. Everything he has done in public since then has been scrutinised to death (including fan web-sites).

If he goes to Disneyland and bums a smoke off of someone, somebody posts a picture of it.

And folk still want more.

Shit, I get pissed off when the phone rings, and I'm nobody.

If he feels like doing something, he might. As much as people want to hear from him, I say cut him some slack.

I'm not being an apologist for his celebrity. He went out and earned it, so at one time he must have wanted or needed it.

Yet what he does with it at this point is up to him and what it means to him, not what it means to us as fans.

In my not so humble opinion.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

You EVH apologist you.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by KleeHee

Believe me I hear ya. Neal was also in Hardline too, ya forgot that one. You still get points though. Matter of fact when I saw Neal earlier this year it made me think of this very same topic. I wish EVH would do other stuff outside of VH as well, but it's just not his thing. Someone mentioned his insecurity issue, and although I don't know the man personally, that could be the reason why he chooses to focus solely on Van Halen music.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook