Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Airline Seating Policy 'Demonizes' Men

Airline Seating Policy 'Demonizes' Men
    By Patrick Goodenough
    CNSNews.com International Editor
    November 29, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - Two airlines "down under" are under fire after acknowledging their policy of not allowing an unaccompanied child passenger to sit next to a man.

The policy emerged when a New Zealand man said he was asked by airline staff to move because an unaccompanied minor had been assigned the seat next to him.

Mark Worsley was told to swap seats with a woman sitting nearby, who then moved into the seat next to the boy, about eight years old, for the 80-minute flight.

"I was pretty shocked -- I think most people would be," the 37-year-old shipping manager and father of two said Tuesday.

"I complied straight away and moved seats. But as I sat on the plane during the flight I got more and more angry about it."

Part of the problem, Worsley said, was that the plane was full. When the flight attendant arranged the seat swap, "certainly there was enough disruption that people in the immediate vicinity would have heard what was going on. I felt totally embarrassed."

He had later confronted the airline staff, who confirmed the company policy.

Worsley said someone asked him after the event why he had not simply refused to move. "But these days you can't really do that. With [fears of] terrorism, if you cause any fuss on the plane you're out walking."

"Most males in the world, I'm sure, are perfectly law-abiding, good parents, good fathers, brothers, whatever," he said. "They're basically accusing half the population of the world of being a potential pedophile."

Worsley had been traveling on a flight operated by Qantas, the Australian national carrier. Both Qantas and Air New Zealand have now confirmed that they would not seat a child traveling alone next to an adult male passenger.

Worsley came forward following the recent decision by New Zealand's opposition National Party to name one of its lawmakers, Wayne Mapp, as a spokesman on eradicating "political correctness."

Mapp, whose appointment to the post drew ridicule from the left, has invited New Zealanders to come forward with information about practices they perceive to be "PC," primarily those carried out by the Labor government.

Worsley was one of those who had approached him.

Mapp said the airline policy implied that children were not safe sitting next to men.

He found rare common ground with a left-leaning lawmaker, Keith Locke of the Green Party, who said Tuesday that airlines should recognize that "men are people too."

Decrying what he called "the moral panic about men being a potential threat to children," Locke said it was "prejudicial to presume that men can't be trusted to have contact with children unless they are related to them or are specially trained."

He said the incident clearly is a breach of New Zealand's Human Rights Act -- which prohibits discrimination on the grounds of gender -- and he asked a government human rights commissioner to investigate.

Some of the Green Party's policies occasionally have been labeled "politically correct" by conservative critics.

Locke said he was glad the National Party's "PC eradicator" had come out against the airline policy, but he argued that it was wrong to call it political correctness.

"The anti-PC brigade usually criticize what they see as an overemphasis on equal rights, including between the genders. The Greens are sometimes the target of their attacks, so I'm glad to see them supporting equal rights in this case," he said.

'Distrust'

The airlines did win support from one quarter. Children's Commissioner Cindy Kiro, a government appointee, commended Qantas and Air New Zealand for their efforts to keep child passengers safe.

Kiro said she doubted the policy was meant as a slur against men.

But her intervention drew a strong response from the Men's Coalition, whose spokesman Kerry Bevin said Tuesday the commissioner was not fit for her post and should resign.

"Kiro is telling our children that men are dangerous to children," Bevin charged. He also called for the airlines to make a public apology.

For Worsley, the incident was part of a far broader problem, which seemed to affect Western countries in general, he said.

"Men are being demonized in the media for a long time now. I think probably this is just society's reaction -- they think, 'We'd better start tightening up on everything.' It's getting to the stage when all men are viewed with distrust," he said.

"They've already chased men out of the teaching profession, especially for young children. I wouldn't want to be a Scoutmaster now. I wouldn't want to be a Catholic priest ..."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Not that I am a pedophile, but I would rather sit next to a little boy than all those fat bastards that take up half of my seat.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

09.01.07 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Buschman
    Not that I am a pedophile, but I would rather sit next to a little boy than all those fat bastards that take up half of my seat.
    Buschman, would you want your little boy to sit next to this:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've done some traveling lately, and one thing that's struck me is how
    beholden we are to political correctness. America is six years old.

And while we're riffing on Airlines, how can they look at me with a straight
    face and ask me to buy a $5 movie when I've just handed them $500 for a
    ticket? Just show me Must Love Dogs already, asshole.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    Buschman, would you want your little boy to sit next to this:

I would switch my seat with my son (if I have one) and sit next to her myself. I am that kind to do something like that...

In all reality, those airlines are going overboard. I don't have a kid yet, but personally I wouldn't let my kid ride by him/herself on a plane. Not for the reason of sitting next to a potential pedophile, but everything else that could go wrong after the kid goes through security. Plain and simple, the airlines are discrmininating against men in general for doing what they did. I would have gone irrate too if a stewardess told me I had to move because I was a man and I couldn't sit next to a boy because they have this preconcieved notion that I was a pedophile. Just making me more angry so I'll stop right here...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Buschman
    I would switch my seat with my son (if I have one) and sit next to her myself. I am that kind to do something like that...

In all reality, those airlines are going overboard. I don't have a kid yet, but personally I wouldn't let my kid ride by him/herself on a plane. Not for the reason of sitting next to a potential pedophile, but everything else that could go wrong after the kid goes through security. Plain and simple, the airlines are discrmininating against men in general for doing what they did. I would have gone irrate too if a stewardess told me I had to move because I was a man and I couldn't sit next to a boy because they have this preconcieved notion that I was a pedophile. Just making me more angry so I'll stop right here...
    Without a healthy dose of angry dissent, this country as we know it would not have been founded by our forefathers. PROTEST the discrimination, gender profiling, and lower class citizen status we males endure because of gender-based stereotyping! Get riled up and don't just sit there and take it! Women sexually abuse children, but our society winks at that. I was seduced by a 21 year old woman at 14 years old. I think she could still be prosecuted for that, right??

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phatie
    Without a healthy dose of angry dissent, this country as we know it would not have been founded by our forefathers. PROTEST the discrimination, gender profiling, and lower class citizen status we males endure because of gender-based stereotyping! Get riled up and don't just sit there and take it! Women sexually abuse children, but our society winks at that. I was seduced by a 21 year old woman at 14 years old. I think she could still be prosecuted for that, right??

While agreeing with the notion that Phatie puts forth, ie: this PC baloney must stop, I simply beg the question...who allows an 8 year old to board an airplane unaccompanied ?

What circumstance would merit this? No eight year old (or any child for that matter) should be traveling without a chaperone(sp).

Where are the parents, or other relatives in this?

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    While agreeing with the notion that Phatie puts forth, ie: this PC baloney must stop, I simply beg the question...who allows an 8 year old to board an airplane unaccompanied ?

What circumstance would merit this? No eight year old (or any child for that matter) should be traveling without a chaperone(sp).

Where are the parents, or other relatives in this?

...craig
    I thought it was a fairly common practice. Parents get separated, move interstate...etc. One parent see's them off at the departure gate and the next parent see's them at the arrival gate...you just gotta hope the airline staff keep a close watch on them throughout the flight.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave CanSing
    I thought it was a fairly common practice. Parents get separated, move interstate...etc. One parent see's them off at the departure gate and the next parent see's them at the arrival gate...you just gotta hope the airline staff keep a close watch on them throughout the flight.
    Sorry...not with my kids...in the U.S anyway.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Just one more reason for me to NEVER fly unless ABSOLUTELYFUCKINGNECESSARY...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

I can see both points. From one stand point, both women and men abuse children. It is taken for granted that women have a nurturing maternal instinct to protect but this sometimes isn't the case. My brother is still single at 43 and collects vintage cars and bikes that he sometimes has on his drive to do up and sell on. This attracts kids and he feels he has to shoo them away to avoid problems which is sad.

As far as flights are concerned, personally I think only stewards/stewardesses trained to care for kids should be sat beside kids. And if it costs more, so what. As a parent, I think the safety of my kid is worth the extra cost.
    Last edited by stilleddiesangel; 11.29.05 at 04:24 PM.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    I can see both points. From one stand point, both women and men abuse children. It is taken for granted that women have a nurturing maternal instinct to protect but this sometimes isn't the case. .
    It was so refreshing to see Angie agreeing that women and men can both be abusers. The hysteria in society is largely concentrated towards men being the abusers, but I do charity work for ChildQuest International on the side for community relations, on my own, and sponsor 4 missing children. Out of the 4 missing children I sponsor, three had female abductors!

Maternal instinct is no different than paternal instinct. (Since I've never raised children, I see them as equals, because I've never been on the Daddy power trip. I relate very well to children, but because they see me as one of them, I can't go telling them what to do.) Back to the subject, we ALL, regardless of gender have a protective instinct towards children - except for child abusers, who were most likely abused themselves. My babysitter when I was 7 taught me to play strip poker. She was 15. Is that abuse? She also taught my brother and I to smoke cigarettes.

My brother is still single at 43 .
    Don't see as I blame him with the female product quality on the shelves these days...

and collects vintage cars and bikes that he sometimes has on his drive to do up and sell on. This attracts kids and he feels he has to shoo them away to avoid problems which is sad. .
    I can understand with the hysteria these days that he wouldn't want to be accused of some dastardly deed while being alone with a child. Kids are great as long as their mothers are there to scream at them.

As far as flights are concerned, personally I think only stewards/stewardesses trained to care for kids should be sat beside kids. And if it costs more, so what. As a parent, I think the safety of my kid is worth the extra cost.
    I want to know what the hell can happen to a child on a plane full of people? If anything, this implants irrational fear within a child and denys proper socialization.

Thanks for making me think Ang. <3

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

thats cool with me, the LAST thing i want on an airplane is some snotnosed brat bugging the crap outa me.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.