Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Default Nostalgia

I've read every now and then both here and at the Army and it seems that some people have a problem VH being a nostalgia act.

Definition:

a wistful or excessively sentimental yearning for return to or of some past period or irrecoverable condition

I just needed to see the exact definition for myself and anyone else who might want to see it.....LOL

I think Eddie once said around the whole '96 thing that he didn't want to become a nosalgia act. Then he went on tour with Gary Cherone and more than have the tunes were Dave era material.

I'm not sure what the big deal is. VH with Sammy doesn't really play any of the old stuff. Fans get frustrated bla bla bla....Dave does his solo thing and plays the classics and gets ripped for doing something that the fans want to hear anyway.....I don't get it.....

It appeared to be a happy time on stage with the classic lineup and that's what I miss....and the tunes of course....I'm glad Dave is doing what he's doing......

Any thoughts? I'm not trying to start arguments here, just curious as to what people think.
    Last edited by BottomsUp72; 11.25.05 at 07:50 AM.
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

Well... U2 played New York last week and according to my friend they were as good as they have ever been and are clearly the best rock band of the day.

Van Halen hasn't even tried lately. They seem to want it to be over because all it will take to find out if they still have it is to record a full album with either Sammy or Dave and go out on the road. A new Roth album may have the best chance of putting them back on top, but without trying... we'll never know. And without trying they gaurentee themselves as OVER.

There could still be some life left in them (perhaps alot) if they would give it a shot.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

All it would take for Van Halen to not be a nostalgic act is to put out some relevant music...(I'm not sure what it is, but it probably starts by acceptance by more than us die-hards here).

They need to fix their lead singer situation once and for all.

They need to regularly tour and promote.

The problem is that all of this seems very difficult for them to follow through on...so
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

I think a Roth tour would be a huge, one time success and then that's it.

Whether CVH fans admit it or not, I think they would be horribly disappointed (myself included) by what it would be like today. It's just not 1984 anymore. Roth has lost alot of his Roth-ness, yet still does the same schtick. I think Ed would end up even more miserable than he appears to be now.

They want to do it, great.. I'd go... nice to see them again, yada, yada, yada. BUT if they don't do it... even better.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

There's nothing wrong with playing older songs in concert. Fans have paid top dollar for their tickets and deserve to hear some of their older favorites. Even a band like U2 still sprinkle in Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, etc. What seperates a relevant band from a nostalgia act, is the newer material. An artist has to keep making--and releasing, Ed--new material in order to stay relevant. Although they sprinkle in older songs, U2 is still out there to support a new album.

Say whatever you want about the III tour, but it wasn't nostalgia. They had a new album, played a set heavy in songs from that album, and were out there supporting it. Now last year's tour........

Nostalgia can be a pretty lucarative gig though. The Eagles have been touring for 10 years, charging top dollar for tickets, always one of the highest grossing tours of the year, and haven't released an album of all new material since 1979.
    Last edited by Menlow; 11.26.05 at 06:11 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spanked55
    I think a Roth tour would be a huge, one time success and then that's it.

Whether CVH fans admit it or not, I think they would be horribly disappointed (myself included) by what it would be like today. It's just not 1984 anymore. Roth has lost alot of his Roth-ness, yet still does the same schtick. I think Ed would end up even more miserable than he appears to be now.

They want to do it, great.. I'd go... nice to see them again, yada, yada, yada. BUT if they don't do it... even better.
    If Roth could hit the level of DLR Band and Me Wise with Eddie, there could be a strong album that sells, and they could at least have a shot at getting back to commercially viable. If Eddie could get back to his level of playing during the III tour as well.