Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Eruption ETRIGAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.99
    Location
    O.C. Calif
    Posts
    1,054
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default Simmons comes clean!

    Maybe this is old news but, I know it's been rumored for years that Van Halen played on a couple of Kiss tracks. In the book Kiss: Behind the Mask, Simmons is quoted......

    "Gene Simmons: I wrote "Got Love for Sale" at the Sunset Marquis, when we got back from Japan, along with "Christine Sixteen." And then "Got Love for Sale," "Christine Sixteen" and "Tunnel of Love" were all recorded with the Van Halen brothers-Eddie, Alex-and myself."


    Interesting, "Got Love for Sale" and "Christine Sixteen" were on "Love Gun" while "Tunnel of Love" appeared on Gene's first solo album. I'm going to have to give those songs a new listen with fresh ears.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

  2. #2
    Banned! againstthewind's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.16.05
    Location
    Fishing is therapy, I'm in therapy!!
    Posts
    962
    Last Online

    05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    God, I haven't heard those songs from Love Gun in years. Grew up on Kiss and really don't listen to them much anymore, but you are right, would love to give those tunes another listen now that I know the bros are on there!!

  3. #3
    Good Enough sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.14.03
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,880
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

    In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

    10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    One could easily interpret that as being the demos for those songs.

  4. #4
    Eruption ETRIGAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.12.99
    Location
    O.C. Calif
    Posts
    1,054
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    One could easily interpret that as being the demos for those songs.
    Kiss fans (I guess I'm one but I'm not freakish about it..... y'know like I am with VH or King's X) have known for years that especially after "Alive" that there were a lot of "guest" musicians on Kiss records. Bruce and Bob Kulick, Rick Derringer, Tommy Thayer (The current Kiss guitarist played on most of Psycho Circus and is now touring as Ace.) to name three have been on multiple Kiss recordings. Ace and Peter were often minutely involved with recording because of their various problems.

    Even Simmons admits he doesn't play bass on all the Kiss recordings.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETRIGAN
    Kiss fans (I guess I'm one but I'm not freakish about it..... y'know like I am with VH or King's X) have known for years that especially after "Alive" that there were a lot of "guest" musicians on Kiss records. Bruce and Bob Kulick, Rick Derringer, Tommy Thayer (The current Kiss guitarist played on most of Psycho Circus and is now touring as Ace.) to name three have been on multiple Kiss recordings. Ace and Peter were often minutely involved with recording because of their various problems.

    Even Simmons admits he doesn't play bass on all the Kiss recordings.
    Anton Fig, the drummer for Paul Schaffer's band, played all the drum parts on Dynasty.

  6. #6
    Eruption VHwasCoolestWithDLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.10.00
    Age
    41
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,023
    Favorite VH Album

    All of em
    Favorite VH Song

    Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

    01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    Anton Fig, the drummer for Paul Schaffer's band, played all the drum parts on Dynasty.

    Yeah although Peter did actually play on his own song "Dirty Livin" though, which is one really gawd awful song.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VHwasCoolestWithDLR
    Yeah although Peter did actually play on his own song "Dirty Livin" though, which is one really gawd awful song.
    Back in the early 90's, before the reunion tour, I saw Peter and Ace playing together at some dive bar. My friends and I had a bet as to whether Peter would play Dirty Livin. I said of course he would, he would milk every KISS song he sang/wrote. Of course, I was right.

  8. #8
    Eruption arcticwolf64's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.13.03
    Age
    53
    Location
    Everett, Washington
    Posts
    1,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ETRIGAN
    Maybe this is old news but, I know it's been rumored for years that Van Halen played on a couple of Kiss tracks. In the book Kiss: Behind the Mask, Simmons is quoted......

    "Gene Simmons: I wrote "Got Love for Sale" at the Sunset Marquis, when we got back from Japan, along with "Christine Sixteen." And then "Got Love for Sale," "Christine Sixteen" and "Tunnel of Love" were all recorded with the Van Halen brothers-Eddie, Alex-and myself."


    Interesting, "Got Love for Sale" and "Christine Sixteen" were on "Love Gun" while "Tunnel of Love" appeared on Gene's first solo album. I'm going to have to give those songs a new listen with fresh ears.
    They were strictly the demo's for these songs. Although they may see the light of day sometime next year for your listening pleasure.
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

    When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

    http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

  9. #9
    Hang 'Em High MAX's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.10.02
    Age
    46
    Location
    RED SOX NATION, SLC CHAPTER
    Posts
    6,770
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

    06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    Back in the early 90's, before the reunion tour, I saw Peter and Ace playing together at some dive bar. My friends and I had a bet as to whether Peter would play Dirty Livin. I said of course he would, he would milk every KISS song he sang/wrote. Of course, I was right.
    I both saw and met Ace in a club "dive" show about a decade ago as well. It was a fuckin' stellar show. That's beside the point, why WOULD'NT he (Peter) "milk" (as you put it) or play every KI$$ song he was involved with? Fuck, that's prolly what most people would WANT to hear who went to see them.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

    "Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

    "and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk Menlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.02.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    11,654
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

    06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Likes
    5
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ou812max
    I both saw and met Ace in a club "dive" show about a decade ago as well. It was a fuckin' stellar show. That's beside the point, why WOULD'NT he (Peter) "milk" (as you put it) or play every KI$$ song he was involved with? Fuck, that's prolly what most people would WANT to hear who went to see them.
    Well, that was sort of my point. Of course he would be playing all the KISS related material he could justifiably do. He only still had a gig based upon the old KISS stuff, and while it was expected he would do songs like Beth or Hard Luck Woman, I figured he would play even a much more obscure song like Dirty Livin. Like you said, what else was he gonna do "That's the Kind of Sugar Papa Likes?"

  11. #11
    Hang 'Em High MAX's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.10.02
    Age
    46
    Location
    RED SOX NATION, SLC CHAPTER
    Posts
    6,770
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

    06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    Well, that was sort of my point. Of course he would be playing all the KISS related material he could justifiably do. He only still had a gig based upon the old KISS stuff, and while it was expected he would do songs like Beth or Hard Luck Woman, I figured he would play even a much more obscure song like Dirty Livin. Like you said, what else was he gonna do "That's the Kind of Sugar Papa Likes?"
    Hahahaha!!!

    Yeah, I mean MAYBE there are HARDCORE Peter Criss fans (like all three of them) who wanna hear whatever out of print solo records he's done but I'd think the draw would be whatever KI$$ stuff he's done. Especially if he's touring with Ace.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

    "Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

    "and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

  12. #12
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    06.01.03
    Location
    Pasadena, TX
    Posts
    2,737
    Last Online

    12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    One could easily interpret that as being the demos for those songs.
    I believe they were the demos and Gene even commented Ace Frehley pretty much copied Ed's solo on Christine 16.

  13. #13
    Eruption ericjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.03
    Age
    45
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,141
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

    Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

    10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The rumor runs like this:
    As we know, Gene financed and produced VH's demos in 1976 and VH was turned down by Kiss label at the time, Casablanca. As a return favor, Gene asked Ed & Al to record demos for new tunes he had written for Kiss so Gene could play them (the tape) for Kiss. Gene sang & played bass so he didn't need Dave or Mike although they may have added background vocals.

    Now, Kiss was planning a box set a few years ago and Gene mentioned these "demo" tracks and that they would be on the box set, but a combo of Warner Bros (who still owned the the rights of Ed & Al) as well as Ed & Al objected to being included so they were scrapped. Furthermore, both Ed & Al have denied ever playing any Kiss tunes with Gene.

    I don't have the exact quotes but that the genaeral idea. Take you pick who you believe, Gene or Ed/Al.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

  14. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    01.03.02
    Posts
    2,395
    Last Online

    12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericjt
    Take you pick who you believe, Gene or Ed/Al.
    Now THAT is funny...

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk chefcraig's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.01.02
    Location
    A Confederacy of Dunces
    Posts
    19,370
    Last Online

    03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericjt
    The rumor runs like this:
    As we know, Gene financed and produced VH's demos in 1976 and VH was turned down by Kiss label at the time, Casablanca. As a return favor, Gene asked Ed & Al to record demos for new tunes he had written for Kiss so Gene could play them (the tape) for Kiss. Gene sang & played bass so he didn't need Dave or Mike although they may have added background vocals.

    Now, Kiss was planning a box set a few years ago and Gene mentioned these "demo" tracks and that they would be on the box set, but a combo of Warner Bros (who still owned the the rights of Ed & Al) as well as Ed & Al objected to being included so they were scrapped. Furthermore, both Ed & Al have denied ever playing any Kiss tunes with Gene.

    I don't have the exact quotes but that the genaeral idea. Take you pick who you believe, Gene or Ed/Al.


    From the Kiss Boxed set booklet, pages 52 and 53, Gene Simmons: "...I had, by that time (1977) discovered Van Halen; had already flown them to New York and produced their demo at Electric Lady Studios, and by this time they had recorded their first album, which became a very big success.

    I was staying at the Sunset Marquis hotel, taking some time off in Los Angeles before we went back into the studio to record "Love Gun". And 'Christine Sixteen" basically wrote itself. I immediately called Edward Van Halen and asked him if the guys would mind coming downand helping me do some demos.

    We recorded three songs in an afternoon: "Got Love For Sale", which wound up on the Love Gun album, "Tunnel Of Love" which would wind up being recorded on my solo record; but both "Got Love..." and "Christine..." wound up on Love Gun.

    The band consisted of myself, Eddie on guitar and Alex on drums...Edward played the solo...so memorable that Ace simply copied and recreated the solo in the studio.

    We tried to get clearances from everyone involved to let you hear the original versions of "Christine Sixteen" and some of the other songs recorded with the Van Halens, but the rights weren't forthcoming. So perhaps at some future date."

    Make what you want to out of it.

    ...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Good Clean Tone
    By Space_Cowboy in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11.20.05, 09:51 AM
  2. VH1 hoaxer comes clean
    By leroy in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11.05.02, 06:44 AM
  3. A VH Linker comes clean
    By AllSoupNoFish in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04.02.02, 10:06 PM
  4. Time to come clean boys!
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04.20.01, 05:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •