Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Florida Power and Light...Bastards.

Now this is a classy move: In the wake of Hurricane Wilma (where millions lost power and some are still without), Florida Power & Light has just announced a double-digit rate increase for it's customers, to take place in January.

Between 18 and 20 percent rate increases are needed to offset costs of rebuilding and maintaining electrical service to Florida, including replacing broken poles (that FP&L knew were bad).

How many folk have lost homes and businesses here, and no-one is paying their bills in the aftermath?

My mom got power back two fucking days ago.

And it's all legal, according to the Sun Sentinel, which ran a cover story on this bullshit Sunday...FP&L is a monopoly, use their service or rub sticks together.

Everything involved with Florida gets screwed, from elections to storm "relief"...this is yet another ten inch spike in the eye that goes with living in "paradise".

Words fail to express properly how deeply and thoroughly this sucks ass.

I want to move so badly, yet family keeps mrs. chef and me here.

...craig
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

That really sucks, Chef. Go postal on one of their facilities!!!!

In a somewhat related matter, I am going to go kick my power company's ass also. I lost power again last night. That is 10 times I have lost power in the last 3 months, including 3 days in a row back in late Sept. All the outages are for a decent amount of time as well. (an hour +)
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

I'm royally fucked if I lose power b/c my house is all electric. Need to hardwire a generator into the house to run the essentials. My dad did the same thing for Y2K.

Sorry 'bout that Chef... you need me to send a family-sized can of whoop-ass your way?? Besides increasing your bills b/c of Wilma, is FP&L going to increase your bills just because the rest of the country is this winter?? I'm lucky that electric is going up the least. I hear that in some places oil and/or gas has a chance to increase 40-50% this winter
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm glad I don't live down there. It's bad enough up here in Polk Co. I wouldn't ever want to go further south in Fl that's for sure. Sorry chef. We had some really bad problems up here last year but we haven't been hit like you guys have this year. I can't even imagine how bad it can be down there right now. FEMA has got to be 100% worse than usual with all of the storms this year.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

They're all the same. We didn't have power for like 3 weeks after Hurrican Rita and Entergy charged us an "estimated usage" during that time. Fuck me running, the estimated usage was about $50 bucks higher than any bill i've ever received from them.

Your FL Light and Power boys were in my neighborhood quite a bit helping out, so i can't get too mad at em.
    Dealing with it.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Those guys were rebuilding our lines in Texas. I'm sure ENtergy paid for it however. I believe they were in Lumberton.

Last Online

Believe me, I'm not pissed at the individual workers, rather the insensitive management that has the balls to pull a stunt like this.

By the way, oil companies are currently congradulating themselves for a record quarter that peaked (guess when?) right after the hurricane.

Guess I'm at the wrong end of the food chain.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 11.15.05 at 08:44 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Limecuda
    Those guys were rebuilding our lines in Texas. I'm sure ENtergy paid for it however. I believe they were in Lumberton.
    Yep..we had them and Wiconsin P & L, and a couple others.

Then the idiots at Time Warner cable is another story. Some crew came in and repaired all the cable lines in the neighborhood, then it took 2 more weeks for TWC to actually come and screw the line from my house into the line on the pole. If i had a tall enough ladder coulda done it myself.

I'm sure it was some kind of Union deal that the first company couldn't do it to begin with.
    Last edited by rchop84; 11.15.05 at 08:59 AM.
    Dealing with it.

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rchop84
    Yep..we had them and Wiconsin P & L, and a couple others.

Then the idiots at Time Warner cable is another story. Some crew came in and repaired all the cable lines in the neighborhood, then it took 2 more weeks for TWC to actually come and screw the line from my house into the line on the pole. If i had a tall enough ladder coulda done it myself.

I'm sure it was some kind of Union deal that the first company couldn't do it to begin with.
    hey hey hey...... i work for time warner cable. a lot more goes into cable than it looks.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by namedmydaughterHALEN
    hey hey hey...... i work for time warner cable. a lot more goes into cable than it looks.
    That's certainly true: There's mysterious billing practices and increases, uncooperative representatives on the phone (if you ever reach a human), the frequent breakdowns of service if a bird flies over the house, and the complete inability to offer customer satisfaction, to name but a few.
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They're upping the rate again? BULLSHIT! The power service we get here sucks. It goes out even when we don't have a storm! And when we do have a storm, forget it, it doesn't come on for about 2 hours. Maybe they should try improving the service before jacking the bill up. Sons of bitches
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Good Enough namedmydaughterHALEN's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

vh II OR balance
    Favorite VH Song

damn near all of them!
    Last Online

04.19.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig
    That's certainly true: There's mysterious billing practices and increases, uncooperative representatives on the phone (if you ever reach a human), the frequent breakdowns of service if a bird flies over the house, and the complete inability to offer customer satisfaction, to name but a few.
    doesn't that whole quote but the bird flying over just about cover every utility and service? i.e. cell phone, power, water always a pain in the ass to get a hold of. but it is never as easy as just screwing on a fitting.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

10.04.07 @ 10:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah I am fucking pissed about the FPL rate hike, not pissed at the workers though they are workin their asses off. I am royally pissed that we are paying for stuff that should have been replaced years ago. Instead of burying the cable and upgrading the equipment and grids, they are replacing it with the same old shit I am sure... So we can have another rate hike when it gets blown away next year...

Funny my bill skyrocketed this past month for no apparent reason, the increase didn't even happen yet, and I was w/o power for 2 weeks.. You'd think it would be LESS!

The power usually sucks here anyway, constant spikes, brownouts etc. It is almost a joke now when friends come over and my computer power backup systems go on and off once an hour.

Florida sucks more and more every day...And good luck trying to find a reasonable priced home here!

Oh I am sorry do I sound bitter? hahahhaa.
    --Peavey EVH Wolfgang Standard-Black; 5150 Half Stack
    "In the 7th grade, James Sanford got me in to Santana and Van Halen. Who knows what the hell I would have been listening to otherwise. Thanks man, wherever you are!"-JD5150

Good Enough
    Last Online

06.29.07 @ 03:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hang in there CC!!!

From 3-13 to 10-6 and NFC South Champs.....go Saints!

My Hurricane Katrina pics

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I purchased a gas fireplace mainly because I got tired of the power company rate hikes and my power is out a lot due to high winds in the area. I purchased, NOT leased a 500 Gal propane tank, owning the tank allows me to shop for the cheapest propane around. This way I am not stuck to one company for 6 mo to a year, if I leased a tank they would come around once a month and top it off even when I dont need it!!! I only have to have the thing filled once every 10 months, my power bill has gone down considerably.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.