Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

06.09.16 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Default Labor Laws.

This is more of a question for my international friends here on the VHLINKS. What are your labor laws regarding hours, breaks, vacation time and that sort of thing? I asked this question in the forums quite some time before it was hacked, and had much of that information saved, but I lost everything on my computer at one point so all of that info was lost.

For starters, I would like to point out that here in the good ol' U.S. of A., we have no federal law that says that employers have to give a worker a break. No shit! A company can also demand that an employee work as many hours as the company deems necessary, and theoretically they could work someone 24/7 without any breaks if they wanted to. I know that's a little extreme, and is highly doubtful, but it's to make a point. Our labor laws suck! The reason that I know about that is the company that I work for points this out every now and then when someone complains about breaks or the hours that they make us work. During the holidays several people will get pissed and start rattling things off like "Federal law states that employers have to give workers at least a 10 minute break every 2 hours. Wrong again el stupido! Look it up! I did and found out that what the company said is correct. Most states have their own laws regarding labor, and workers rights. Unfortunately here in Kansas, we have very few rights as workers. I just had a gal come in from California that I trained in my deptartment. She was struggling and was appalled at how the company treated her, and was ultimately fired for demanding a copy of the warning that the company had given her regarding her performance. She started looking up labor laws so she could file a complaint, and discovered that Kansas workers rights basically suck. I could have told her that beforehand and saved her a lot of trouble.

The reason I'm on this kick, is that I think that the rest of the industrial world is ahead of the U.S. as far as workers rights go, but really need facts and figures to back this up. Any links to websites with this sort of info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can get to me.

I would also like to point out that the reasons for all of this are not anti-american in the slightest, but more out of concern for the current state of things for working class America. We're basically getting worked into the ground, struggling to make ends meet financially, while the greedy get more greedy. It's also a pretty marked departure for a guy that sides with the Republican party more times than not.
    Last edited by Viking; 11.13.05 at 10:58 PM.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)