Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

Default Looking to buy an OLP MM1/MM1F

Sorry to start a new thread on this guitar but I have a few questions before buying it.

I'm torn on buying the MM1 or the MM1F. I've never used my whammy bars in the past because the never stayed in tune(mine were crappy knock-offs).

Why is the recessed version considered inferior?

Does The Floyd model on the mm1f stay in tune?

Also, I'm picky about the way my guitar looks. I really love the look of the natural color MM1F on OLP's site. http://www.olpguitars.com/olp_guitars/musicman/mm1f.asp

but a pic of the same color guitar on ebay now. It looks hideous!(to me). The one one ebay looks "blonde" to me and far from the one on OLP's site. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OLP-MM1-Musi...QQcmdZViewItem
    Which pic do you think is more representative. I ask because no one around here carries them. I have to buy sight unseen online. Makes me nervous.

Any help appreciated,
    Mike

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

07.28.15 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Got mine from Musicians Friend. It's a gumby green MM1 'n I couldnt be happier for the price $99.oo.Plays great,sounds great,looks nice too!
    " Eating over the behavioral sink."

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The OLP MM1 and MM1F guitars I've played (and own) are very nice for the price you'd pay for them. They absolutely require a setup though, so if you're not skilled at doing it, make sure you ask someone at the shop you buy from to set it up for you.

Re: Fit & finish: If you don't like the faux-photo-flame maple tops, then you'll want to get one of the solid color versions and even those I wasn't too keen on the colors they chose (sparkle black, sparkle red). If you can get one of the darker colors (trans. purple, trans blue, trans green) the foto-flame top seems to hide more under those colors and seems less fake. The ever popular trans gold and clear maple finishes show the tops for what they really are (not the greatest). I ended up painting mine as a goldtop only because that sparkle red color was just plain ugly.

As for the Floyd Rose, I bought an MM1 before they made the Floyd version and I can tell you that the bridge pickup on those non-Floyd MM1 guitars is slightly too close to the bridge and will give you a tinny sound no matter what pickup is installed (or at least those I've tried). When I put my Floyd into it, it only got worse. With the MM1F, they fixed that problem however the Floyd they use is one of those really cheap knock-off trems and they're not very stable. I would encourage you, if you get an MM1F, to buy either a used vintage 1984-1986 Floyd (ala the Kramer days) when they were made of brass OR get one of the newer licensed ones from guys like Carvin or Schaller where the workmanship will hold up under heavy use.

The neck and body feel like the people from Ernie Ball gave the people at OLP the CNC programs to cut the parts exactly the same. The woods are different so they feel slightly different simply because of the grade of wood and the quality of the finished product, but ultimately they are quite similar (I sat in my local GC a few years back and A/B'ed the Axis against the MM1 and I was surprised ...) The newer OLP guitars come with completely unfinished necks and this could be a problem if you don't like that. The original MM1's had a nice finish on the back of the neck and that helped quite a bit. The pickups leave a LOT to be desired but the neck pickup isn't as bad as one might think.

If I were to buy my MM1 all over again, I'd get an MM1F, swap out the Floyd for my favorite vintage Floyd, swap out the bridge pickup for a Duncan JB or Custom Custom, and I'd probably finish the newer unfinished neck with a paste finishing wax or spray a satin finish on it ... and probably get a trans purple or trans green one.

I think you owe it to yourself to play one at a shop and possibly A/B against the real thing. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.