F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Default NBC, CBS to offer shows for 99 cents

This is on of the dumbest things I've seen. Why pay to watch TV on demand w/o commercials when there is Tivo already? Record the show and watch it later and fast forward through the damn commercials at warp speed.

NBC, CBS to offer shows for 99 cents
    Deals for on-demand viewing without commercials by major networks change the television landscape.
    November 8, 2005: 7:53 AM EST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - NBC and CBS unveiled separate plans to make some of their prime-time shows available for viewers to watch at their leisure -- without commercials -- for 99 cents an episode, throwing open the door to "on-demand" television.

The back-to-back announcements on Monday from NBC Universal, a unit of General Electric Co. (Research), and Viacom Inc. (Research)-owned CBS, came weeks after Walt Disney Co.'s ABC began offering commercial-free Internet downloads of its biggest hits, "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives," for $1.99 a piece.

The news also came the same day that file-sharing service Grokster Ltd. agreed to stop distributing software that allows users to copy songs without permission as part of a settlement with the recording industry.

The two latest TV deals add CBS and NBC shows such as "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" and "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" to the mix of programs networks are scrambling to deliver outside of traditional broadcasts.

All three ventures highlight growing efforts by the major commercial networks to shake up "old media" models and expand their avenues of distribution.

On-demand viewing -- enabling audiences to order up shows when they feel like watching instead of according to a preset program schedule -- has been commonplace on pay-cable networks for some time.

A number of broadcasters have dabbled in this area, and personal recorders such as TiVo Inc's popular device already allow viewers to record and play back broadcasts while skipping through commercials.

But the NBC and CBS ventures are the first to give viewers access to several prime-time broadcast offerings on a next-day, on-demand basis through their television sets, as opposed to a personal computer or portable digital device like iPod. And viewers do not have to record shows in advance.

Both launch early next year, with NBC programs distributed through satellite broadcaster DirecTV Group and CBS through cable giant Comcast Corp.

"This has the chance to make our networks even stronger," NBC Universal Television Group President Jeff Zucker told Reuters. "It provides more exposure to the shows and gives the viewer the ability to watch the episodes on their own timetable."

NBC narrowly beat CBS to the punch by announcing its tie-in first. Under its plan, select shows from NBC Universal's flagship network, NBC, and its cable networks will be made available for on-demand viewing to homes equipped with a new DirecTV digital video recorder (DVR).

NBC's initial offerings will include the two spinoffs of its "Law & Order" franchise -- "SVU" and "Criminal Intent," as well as workplace comedy "The Office" and sea monster thriller "Surface." Two cable shows also will be part of the mix -- USA Network's "Monk" and Si Fi channel's "Battlestar Galactica."

Hours after those shows first air on the network each week, they will be "pushed" to DirecTV Plus DVRs, where they will be stored digitally and available the next morning for customers to select and play at their convenience for 99 cents.

The CBS venture will initially make four of the network's biggest prime-time hits -- "CSI," "NCIS," "Survivor" and "The Amazing Race" -- available to Comcast digital cable customers in markets served by CBS-owned TV stations. Those areas include Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Philadelphia, Baltimore and some outlying suburbs of New York City.

Comcast already offers digital cable customers some 3,800 on-demand titles, mostly movies, children's shows, sports and music, at no extra charge. Comcast has logged more than 1 billion program views this year, as of last month.

Like NBC's shows, CBS on-demand programs will be sold for 99 cents per episode, the same price online music sites typically charge for downloads of a single song.

In October, Disney began offering next-day Internet downloads of its biggest ABC hits, "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives," and some other shows for $1.99 per episode via Apple Computer Inc.'s online iTunes music store.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

It's just the next step in how programming is changing. Basically the model will be this: you can watch a show without commercials and pay to watch it, or you can watch a show with commercials and pay less. Cable companies are the potentially big losers in this, which would explain why Comcast is eager to tie themselves to the model.

Favorite VH Album

Can't Decide
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To Choose From
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    It's just the next step in how programming is changing. Basically the model will be this: you can watch a show without commercials and pay to watch it, or you can watch a show with commercials and pay less. Cable companies are the potentially big losers in this, which would explain why Comcast is eager to tie themselves to the model.
    No wonder why "da Man" has been going after those who BT TV shows. They've discovered a new income stream.

I think this is a great idea. I don't subscribe to Cable mostly because there is so little I am interested in watching and basically I have better things to do with my time than channel surf. If I really, really need to see something I usually just have one of my lovelies record what I want to watch and I'll enjoy it at a time of my choosing. With all the TV stuff released to DVD, I can wait a year to catch up on what I missed via Netflix.

I wonder if you need to view these shows with a special media player? Are there any DRM issues?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'll bet that you'll also see "unrated" versions of some programs before too long...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    I'll bet that you'll also see "unrated" versions of some programs before too long...
    I don't think so. That'd up their production costs significantly, which is something they're loath to do. That's why the market is flooded with shitty "reality" shows. I'd imagine that out-takes and bloopers would be tagged on to drive sales, though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I have Tivo, I FF through the commercials.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Has Tivo said anything to its customers about how it's caving to industry pressures? I'd be ticked if ReplayTV started to do some of those things.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

What a waste of money, I just flip the channels during commercials.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Has Tivo said anything to its customers about how it's caving to industry pressures? I'd be ticked if ReplayTV started to do some of those things.

I am not sure what you are talking about, please elaborate.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

http://www.engadget.com/entry/4721616738437149/ Things like that. I think I've also read that they're getting on the broadcast flag bandwagon.

Not too many people seem to be aware of it right now, but Congress and the entertainment industry are working very hard to ensure that we can't keep copies of shows that we have recorded (beyond a specific time frame), and a whole host of tricks to keep content providers in control of that which they produce. I have very mixed feelings about that. In some ways I understand that they should be able to milk the market, but I think that they're going about it in ways that are designed to strictly limit consumer choice. HDTV might look great, but some of the restrictions that certain groups want to attach to it are pretty stiff.

A fairly good indication is found in a patent that MS filed for not too long ago. They've patented a method of charging people along the lines of what I mention in my first reply in this thread. In some ways it's cool, but I have a feeling we'll all be stuck with subscription fees and that these will just be additional charges.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Interesting read Mike thanks for posting it.

I have noticed that just in the past few weeks Tivo has added a new feature that allows you to go watch movie previews (Jarhead) and other type's of programing like NFL Sunday ticket, HBO, etc etc.

I for one would be extremely pissed if they do put up these banner ads when I hit the FF button. Hopefully they will listen to there customers.
    ((Just My Two Cents))

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by OLO
    I for one would be extremely pissed if they do put up these banner ads when I hit the FF button. Hopefully they will listen to there customers.
    I agree 100% with this.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

potty breaks y'all

what idiots....just they way the human race has wasted some more technology...how about coming up with a cure for a disease or something?

sorry to rant like that, but i am thinking....
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you donít have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Donít forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by avhevhmashdlr
    potty breaks y'all

what idiots....just they way the human race has wasted some more technology...how about coming up with a cure for a disease or something?

sorry to rant like that, but i am thinking....
    Um, without television the civil rights movement never would have found traction as a national political and moral issue...

Just because there's crap on t.v. doesn't mean the technology hasn't had its plusses...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    Um, without television the civil rights movement never would have found traction as a national political and moral issue...

Just because there's crap on t.v. doesn't mean the technology hasn't had its plusses...
    im actually not trying to say that.

believe it or not, some americans (well, i dont know the percentages) do watch more tv then they should. scientists work their arses off to get to the next "medical breakthrough". "couch potatoes" as some americans are called, dont do anything but eat slepp, and scratch their asses, and they call that too much work.

and, with the telivision, not only is their crap, but restrictions on what you SHOULD watch, and the commercials do not help with all that.

ITS CALLED A FAST FORWARD BUTTON! OR, MAKE SOME POPCORN DURING A FAVORITE SHOW! DO SOMETHING DURING THE BLINKING COMMERCIALS!!!

+steps down from ranting+
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you donít have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Donít forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"