Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Default Pod XT Live

Anyone have one? What's your thoughts on them. I picked one up on demo last week and am enjoying the plug and play factor, but the room mic settings are driving me nuts! Who ever heard of a room mic at 50% of the mix?

I'm going to be using it for demoing ideas on my computer through Nuendo and maybe for effects live, so it seems to be the best bang for the buck.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I've had one for about six months now and I'm very happy with it. I only gig acoustically so I don't need it live, but for recording it's very good. I use the guitarport software for editing patches which makes it a lot easier to use. The percentage mic thing you mention isn't a mic mix as such, it's the distance the virtual mic is away from the cabinet. So, the higher the value the further away the mic is from the cab and the more room ambience comes in. I usually keep this setting quite high as I like the live feel it gives. I've got some nice EVH tones programmed into mine using the Plexi Variac model which are my main high gain tones.

Oh, and as I have the Variax they really make a good combination.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ive heard that for live stuff its better to just turn the cab voicing off.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from...
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

i have on and i love it, perfect companion to my variax!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I run one in the loop of my 5150 for effects only. I don't use many effects at all, just a bit of delay once in a while and reverb, sometimes a bit of chorus maybe. I like the way it sounds using it like this. I've also used the xt by running it into the effects return of the 5150, so that the xt is the preamp and the 5150 is the poweramp and you can access all amp and cabinet models. It actually sounds really good this way too, especially at really low volumes. It's a cool little piece of equipment but it does take quite a bit of time to learn how to get it to sound good. I was very disappointed with it the first six months I had it. But I still prefer tube tone, so now it's in the loop of my 5150. One thing I noticed about the xt is that the high gain models all have this digital fizz to them that I never was able to completely dial out. I was able to eliminate a lot of it eventually, but it was always there regardless, so I switched to tubes and learned how to set my 5150 up for low volume playing.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just scored an XT off of ebay.....$200 clams with shipping.

I'm pretty impressed. I'm just using some headphones right now, but I could see how a person could loose about 4 hours of time dicking with that thing.

It does seem to be user friendly...much bigger than I had imagined....I was thinkng 6 inces wide....I open the box and the thing is the size of a dinner plate.

I like the dials....I am not a fan of menu driven devices, yet the line6 has a variety of those....I get to turn knobs and shit.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Last Online

12.26.11 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the xt pro, which is basically the same as the pod, but rack mount. It's basically a love/hate thing. When playing thru head phones I found most of the tones as they came with it, as well as a great many you can download to be pretty close to dead on. Plugging into the amp to play live is another story, I can do a lot of tweaking and get close, but never quite right. I too, found the best way is to plug into the effects loop return, plugging into guitar input in front of amp was no good, to many variables to have to tweak. Effects loop produces a low hum/fizz, which I was able to get rid of with a humbuster filter. Amp is a 5150II half stack. With that said, I have to add this device has allowed me to get as close to the infamous brown sound as I have ever been, right out of the box. With it only being a month old, I am sure I'll even get closer when I have spent a little more time learning all the ins and outs of this device. Also produces a great Boston tone.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I think this is a point where a lot of Pod users, and people with amp modellers in general, can go wrong. A Pod is designed to replicate the entire signal chain from the point where it leaves your guitar's output, through the pedals, to the amp head, to the cabinet, to a room full of air, to the mic that's picking it up. It does that job very well. If you stick an amp in there, particularly an amp with a distinctive character like the 5150, you kind of throw a big spanner in the works. Would you use a 5150 to amplify a Fender Twin? If I was gigging with the Pod I'd run it straight to the desk with something like a keyboard amp onstage for monitoring and let the Pod do its thing. Otherwise I'd use a good amp with whatever pedals I needed.

Having said that, whatever works and sounds good, is good. I guess it's a matter of personal taste at the end of the day.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well I agree with you Charvel2. The xt isn't really designed to be thrown into the loop of a monster like the 5150, but it sounds pretty good once you figure out how set the two up together. For a basement guy like me, it's perfect. I finally figured out how to get a great 5150 tone at very low volumes, and my xt is used for minimal effects. I also get good results going in to the effects return on the 5150 and out to a 30 watt Marshall solid state amp. I suppose if I used the xt how it was meant to be used, I might get even better results, but that would mean more equipment, and my wife isn't happy about my GAS to begin with, so you know...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the clean stuff with the POD. As a 5150 user, I don't get to hear clean stuff too much, so I'm having a lot fun with the "jazz" setting that's super clean.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2
    A Pod is designed to replicate the entire signal chain from the point where it leaves your guitar's output, through the pedals, to the amp head, to the cabinet, to a room full of air, to the mic that's picking it up. It does that job very well. If you stick an amp in there you kind of throw a big spanner in the works.
    Completely correct. Period.

Favorite VH Album

VH I, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake, dirty movies
    Last Online

03.06.12 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

can a POD be used with Garageband? I like to just play through gband now with headphones on, I dont have room for my amp anymore. So will a POD be a good move for me if Im jsut recording and playing through my computer?

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i use my podxt with garage band.

you just have to download the podxt sound driver software off the line 6 website.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.