Thread: ? kids...

Favorite VH Album

All
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Premium Member

Default ? kids...

I believe this has been tossed around before, but I need to rehash it a bit...seems my wife is going to be giving birth to my first daughter next week (I have 2 sons)...we've been going over names and I threw out 'Halen Rose'...my wife really likes it, but since everyone knows what a VH fanatic I am she is a little hesitant...so I am curious as to what your initial reaction is...Halen Rose
    Happy Trails...

Kieffer

I might not remember everything, but I don't forget anything -- JPK

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

My reaction is that your daughter is the one that would have to live with the name, that kids are cruel, and that if dad really wants to have something Van Halen related in a name... he could legally change his.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

sounds too much like "Jalen Rose" ...i wouldnt do it...
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:02 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I never gave it consideration as a first name but I gave my daughter Halen as her middle name (Lindsey Halen). It's gone over very well in most circles as a middle name and most thought it was a beautiful name. Older people who are cluess to VH thought it was a formal or family name. Very young people who are either clueless or weren't hip to my love of VH thought the name was a cool offshoot of the popular girl name Haley. She's almost 2 now and don't regret the move one bit (but again, it's only her middle name).

Congratulations on your daughter!! Good luck with the decision.

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    My reaction is that your daughter is the one that would have to live with the name, that kids are cruel, and that if dad really wants to have something Van Halen related in a name... he could legally change his.
    Wow, there's some medicine for you. May be hard to swallow, but I think it makes sense.

I also think that Halen is not appropriate for a girl. Middle name it might work though, if you're really into it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 850 Times in 398 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

Our 20 month old son is named Edward after the King. It brings me joy every day that I am able to have a healthy baby boy named after someone who has given me so much happiness over my life. If your wife and you dig it, use it. If not, life will go on.

Good luck either way.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Do what you wanna do. A co-workers close friend named her son 'Sexy' and her daughter 'Loquacious'. I think your daughter will be just fine.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Halen is a nice name for a middle name. I'd go for something a less obvious.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay
    Do what you wanna do. A co-workers close friend named her son 'Sexy' and her daughter 'Loquacious'. I think your daughter will be just fine.

Yep, do what you want to do, but I personally can't imagine naming one of my children after someone I haven't even met..(okay I shook the VH bros hands, but that isn't meeting someone is it) I love the VH boys, but, they aren't family!! I love this band, but I would hope we all have had a close friend or relative who have meant more to us than folks we have never interacted with. When it all comes down to it....c'mon, we love their music but, we don't know these guys!! My dog?? OK...he can be Halen, or Ed. And hey, I'm not ripping anyone who has, but for me...personally...it ain't that personal!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Child Number one

Andrew Halen Turner

Child Number two

Evan Meade Turner

Named after Roger Meade Clyne, an unknown rocker who fronted the band The Refreshments and now is fronting Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.

Middle names are cool.

Notice that Evan is half of Van Halen.....didn't notice until after he was born and was a few months old. Grandma thought it was intentional....but it wasn't.
    Actually I think most of us are Dave, Sam, and Mike fans. There's just a small group of people who have strange allegiances and like to get into petty pissing contests that I can't believe everyone on this site isn't bored of. - Brett

Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

05.18.16 @ 10:01 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Our 20 month old son is named Edward after the King. It brings me joy every day that I am able to have a healthy baby boy named after someone who has given me so much happiness over my life. If your wife and you dig it, use it. If not, life will go on.

Good luck either way.
    My first son's middle name is Edward after EVH. My second son is Galen Michael - but "Michael" is coincidental. I'm a little worried Galen might bother him when he is 13, but we'll see.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.17.11 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I believe the username 'namedmydaughterhalen' is already taken
    \m/_ _\m/

Gibbo

Favorite VH Album

All
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Premium Member

some great responses...totally missed 'Jalen Rose', can't stand NBA anymore. Although not sure what kids being cruel has to do with anything, I mean everyone knows that capital letters go at the begining of words not the end (that's a joke cousin I appreciate the honesty).....
    Happy Trails...

Kieffer

I might not remember everything, but I don't forget anything -- JPK

Last Online

10.19.10 @ 04:18 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Halen Rose sounds really cool if you give it time and say it a bit. It's different. She wouldn't be named after someone that she shouldn't be named after i.e. Lizzy (Bourden) Amy Jo (Fisher) Marillyn (Manson) and so on.

I named my daughter Tori. I am a huge Tori Amos fan. At the time she was born my ex-wife thought I had a thing for Tori Spelling too. Plus people think her real name is Victoria it isn't. I just let people think what they want to think about who she was named after.

Plus your daughter may pick up the nickname of Haley. Nothing wrong with that. I gave my daughter the nick name "Toe Head" when she was younger. Now that she is a bit older it has been shortened to just "Toe". I had just always heard my grandma refer to kids as "Toe Heads" or "Toe Headed" when I was growing up. My grandma has since passed on and everytime I call my daughter by her nickname it makes me feel good because I think of my grandma. Plus she doesn't mind the nickname at all because I'm her dad and I gave it to her.

Some of the other linkers brought up good points, but you have to think about them. 1)Kids will pick on other kids no matter what their name is so that's not a good arguement. 2)You don't know VH personally. But they have brought you many good memories with their music that you can share with your daughter and other kids when they get older. Hell Eddie named his kid Wolfgang. Do you think he knew the guy? 3) You could name her after one of your close friends or a family member. Then you run the risk of ticking off alot of people for not using their name. 4)Halen isn't a girls name? Whose to say what sex gets what names? James isn't really a girls name is it? But there is a very good looking female model with that first name. Her real first name is Jaime, but she goes by her nickname of James. The nickname thing fits with her in a different way I guess. I have cousins who are male with the names of Jamie and Jody. I know more females with those names.

It is really up to you and your wife. If your wife likes the name go with it. Life's to short to worry what other people are going to think anyways. Isn't it?

By the way. I first heard of the name Tori from adult film star Tori Welles long before I had ever heard of Tori Amos or Tori Spelling and long before my daughter was born. Does that mean I named her after a adult film star? The world will never know.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

07.09.11 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you actually looked up the meaning of Halen and see what it says?
    Bobby Cohn: Who's going to be at Waynestock?
    Wayne Campbell: Um, uh...Aerosmith & Pearl Jam!
    Garth Algar: Ha ha ha ha ho!
    Bobby: Who else?
    Garth: Uh, me...and...and Wayne...
    Wayne: ...and uh...VAN HALEN!!!
    Garth: Wow. Van Halen. Who else?
    Bobby: Yeah, who else?
    Wayne: Uh, an old man fashioning a kayak out of a log?

- Wayne's World 2

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time." - Robin Williams

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." - Winston Churchill