Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Grandpa Is Sued Over Grandson's Downloads

A 67-year-old man who says he doesn't even like watching movies has been sued by the film industry for copyright infringement after a grandson of his downloaded four movies on their home computer.

The Motion Picture Association of America filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against Fred Lawrence of Racine, seeking as much as $600,000 in damages for downloading four movies over the Internet file-sharing service iMesh.

The suit was filed after Lawrence refused a March offer to settle the matter by paying $4,000.

"First of all, like I say, I guess I'd have to plead being naive about the whole thing," he said.

"I personally didn't do it, and I wouldn't do it. But I don't think it was anything but an innocent mistake my grandson made."

Lawrence said his grandson, who was then 12, downloaded "The Incredibles," "I, Robot," "The Grudge," and "The Forgotten" in December, without knowing it was illegal to do so.

The Racine man said his grandson downloaded the movies out of curiosity, and deleted the computer files immediately. The family already owned three of the four titles on DVD, he said.

"I can see where they wouldn't want this to happen, but when you get up around $4,000 ... I don't have that kind of money," Lawrence said. "I never was and never will be a wealthy person."

Kori Bernards, vice president of corporate communications for MPAA, said the movie industry wants people to understand the consequences of Internet piracy. She said the problem is the movies that were downloaded were then available to thousands of other users on the iMesh network.

"Basically what you are doing when you use peer-to-peer software is you are offering someone else's product that they own to thousands of other people for free, and it's not fair," Bernards said.

Illegal downloading costs the movie industry an estimated $5.4 billion a year, she said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Wow, the MPAA is quite impressive going after the little people. Fuck em...I hope they lose the suit.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod

Illegal downloading costs the movie industry an estimated $5.4 billion a year, she said.
    Wow. That's a lot

Casting Shade
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

05.04.08 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Wow, the MPAA is quite impressive going after the little people. Fuck em...I hope they lose the suit.
    Agreed.
    "Rehab is for Quitters"

"It is not possible to have life after death since death is the end of life." -OV

"What doesnít kill you, will only make you pissed off!"
    -Alexi Laiho

"If I know I'm going crazy...I must not be insane." -Dave Mustaine

"Simpson, QUICK! Honk at that broad." -Mayor Quimby

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Hey, nail them all if that is what it takes for people to realize that the stuff ain't "yours" if you didn't pay for it...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoFan
    Hey, nail them all if that is what it takes for people to realize that the stuff ain't "yours" if you didn't pay for it...
    exactly.

seriously:
    but, how do the people find out if you had downloaded it or not?
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you donít have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Donít forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The family already owned three of the four titles on DVD, he said.
    then what's the problem? copyright law says you are allowed to have a backup of your CD/DVD...far as i know, it doesn't limit how you get that backup.

Illegal downloading costs the movie industry an estimated $5.4 billion a year.
    how much are they losing by making shitty remakes? the movie industry is getting as bad as the music industry...quit putting out garbage!
    Last edited by twonabomber; 11.02.05 at 07:43 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by avhevhmashdlr
    exactly.

seriously:
    but, how do the people find out if you had downloaded it or not?

Seems like a "sting". If it is peer to peer wouldn't someone (movie studio, etc.) be "offering" the movie online for download otherwise how would they know? Pretty shitty if true. If that is the case then they themselves help spread their movies to the public.

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Oh I know, I'm not defending the kid. But he's 12. Slap him on the wrist, or community service.

Trying to sue the old man for everything isn't the way to go. Makes me wish that more people stole from them.

It's twisted logic, but I think these organizations have bigger fish to fry, they just choose to go after the little guys (sometimes). Consistency is key.
    Last edited by Pabs; 11.02.05 at 08:21 PM.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Oh I know, I'm not defending the kid. But he's 12. Slap him on the wrist, or community service.

Trying to sue the old man for everything isn't the way to go. Makes me wish that more people stole from them.

It's twisted logic, but I think these organizations have bigger fish to fry, they just choose to go after the little guys (sometimes). Consistency is key.
    I'd say ignoring little fish is how little fish grow up to become big fish...

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I feel the same way. I don't download movies, but I could care less if the movie industry loses some money, they make a fortune anyway.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'd say ignoring little fish is how little fish grow up to become big fish...
    That gotta be the best quote I've come across on here. Could easily be a headline of some corporative movie (which I would download with no regret )

On a serious note, I don't believe those negative numbers really. Downloading has been the best promotion for the bands in the last few years, if a person likes an album he or she would go and buy it despite having it somehwere in mp3s. Otherwise that person wouldn't buy it anyway

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose
    I feel the same way. I don't download movies, but I could care less if the movie industry loses some money, they make a fortune anyway.

So, when you have a good year or two, I'll come rip you off and it's all good, yes?

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The kid did it...he should get some kind of punishment, but the grandparent did not do anything wrong. If you agree that the grandparent should have something done to him legally, then you're an asshole.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

A 67-year-old man who says he doesn't even like watching movies has been sued by the film industry for copyright infringement after a grandson of his downloaded four movies on their home computer.

The Motion Picture Association of America filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday against Fred Lawrence of Racine, seeking as much as $600,000 in damages for downloading four movies over the Internet file-sharing service iMesh.

The suit was filed after Lawrence refused a March offer to settle the matter by paying $4,000.

"First of all, like I say, I guess I'd have to plead being naive about the whole thing," he said.

"I personally didn't do it, and I wouldn't do it. But I don't think it was anything but an innocent mistake my grandson made."

Lawrence said his grandson, who was then 12, downloaded "The Incredibles," "I, Robot," "The Grudge," and "The Forgotten" in December, without knowing it was illegal to do so.

The Racine man said his grandson downloaded the movies out of curiosity, and deleted the computer files immediately. The family already owned three of the four titles on DVD, he said.

"I can see where they wouldn't want this to happen, but when you get up around $4,000 ... I don't have that kind of money," Lawrence said. "I never was and never will be a wealthy person."

Kori Bernards, vice president of corporate communications for MPAA, said the movie industry wants people to understand the consequences of Internet piracy. She said the problem is the movies that were downloaded were then available to thousands of other users on the iMesh network.

"Basically what you are doing when you use peer-to-peer software is you are offering someone else's product that they own to thousands of other people for free, and it's not fair," Bernards said.

Bottom line: This guy has to learn how to deal with the ups and downs of having a Grandson.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3