Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Summer Nights
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts

Default Jarhead

Saw a sneak preview last night. I read the book by Anthony Sowfford in 2003. The book was an interesting and entertaining account of Swofford's experience in the Marine Corp during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. As I recall at the time, the book was both hailed and panned by readers and critics as either a gritty, realistic portrayal of the young men in the Corp or a sensationalized piece of fiction. Though my military background is limited to the Air Force and Air National Guard, I have nothing but respect for Marines and 'First To Fight' mentality and found myself enthralled in Swofford's depiction of Marine life during that time: the exciting buildup to war and the ultimate, anticlimactic letdown of the quick war. The movie holds true to the book in that I left the theater not really sure how I felt. Swofford, a sharp shooting sniper, avoids taking sides in the politics of the war in Iraq, the first or the second. Instead, he shows the effect of life for the Marine in the desert: the boredom, the agony of loneliness, an unfaithful spouse, the turmoil of facing an enemy you cannot see. And finally, the war ending without most of the Marines ever firing a shot then returning to the states as heroes. As Swofford points out: "Every war is the name, every war is different"

As far as the actual movie, Sam Mendes does an excellent job directing. The cinematography is beautiful, giving the viewer the feeling of the endless desert expanse. The scenes with the oil wells burning was both gorgeous and disgusting. Jake Gyllenhal and Jamie Foxx doing equally admirable jobs in their roles. The audience gets to know several of Swofford's platoon mates, their personalities and the relationships defined by the close proximity and stresses of a war time environment. The film contains many poignent scenes, giving the viewer reason to ponder war and the human condition, as well as several humorous scenes providing a proper amount of levity.

I highly recommend this film to anyone who looks to movie as not only entertainment but also as thought provoking fodder for intelligent conversation.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This and Good Night & Good Luck for the persistence of McCarthyism.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The movie looks hillarious, I saw the preview where the Gunney shoots a Private in the face with a Sims round, funny stuff.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye
    Saw a sneak preview last night. I read the book by Anthony Sowfford in 2003. The book was an interesting and entertaining account of Swofford's experience in the Marine Corp during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. As I recall at the time, the book was both hailed and panned by readers and critics as either a gritty, realistic portrayal of the young men in the Corp or a sensationalized piece of fiction. Though my military background is limited to the Air Force and Air National Guard, I have nothing but respect for Marines and 'First To Fight' mentality and found myself enthralled in Swofford's depiction of Marine life during that time: the exciting buildup to war and the ultimate, anticlimactic letdown of the quick war. The movie holds true to the book in that I left the theater not really sure how I felt. Swofford, a sharp shooting sniper, avoids taking sides in the politics of the war in Iraq, the first or the second. Instead, he shows the effect of life for the Marine in the desert: the boredom, the agony of loneliness, an unfaithful spouse, the turmoil of facing an enemy you cannot see. And finally, the war ending without most of the Marines ever firing a shot then returning to the states as heroes. As Swofford points out: "Every war is the name, every war is different"

As far as the actual movie, Sam Mendes does an excellent job directing. The cinematography is beautiful, giving the viewer the feeling of the endless desert expanse. The scenes with the oil wells burning was both gorgeous and disgusting. Jake Gyllenhal and Jamie Foxx doing equally admirable jobs in their roles. The audience gets to know several of Swofford's platoon mates, their personalities and the relationships defined by the close proximity and stresses of a war time environment. The film contains many poignent scenes, giving the viewer reason to ponder war and the human condition, as well as several humorous scenes providing a proper amount of levity.

I highly recommend this film to anyone who looks to movie as not only entertainment but also as thought provoking fodder for intelligent conversation.
    I don't know man, I am a Marine and this movie just seems like a possibly less bullshit version of Stealth or A Few Good Men, but yet full of shit just the same. I am familiar with the book, and I know some Marines that love it, but most other's just think it's an over cooked turd. Maybe it's because Jamie Foxx is in it, I hate that guy, he's to fake for my taste.

The movie should do well here, I know a lot of young Marines that can't wait to see it, us old dudes will probably pass though.

I don't know how real cops do it, every week there's either a new completely fake cop movie or cop TV show, that would drive me crazy! How hard is it to do some proper research? All these Military movies come out and just completely miss the mark, at least get our dialogue right, there all basically a less believable version of that TV show "Jag" (which is a complete piece of garbage), all the saluting and sir this and sir that, what a bunch of crap! And don't even get me started about the uniforms and haircuts!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree. They fucked up "The Great Raid" really bad.

The studio doesn't know how to market this film either, they can't decide if it's "Platoon" or "Full Metal Jacket". Most of what I've seen is black comedy. An honest military flick is hard to get made in Hollywood, unless Tom Hanks is behind it. To them, the military is still the bad guy, or tricks young men into dying in a battle. Few honest movies have been made and even fewer "Pro" military movies have seen the light of day.

You will never see a movie based on a book about a guy who loved his time in service and is sorry he had to retire. But if a guy's a shitbird and his story is that he was screwed by the military you will see that on the big or small screen.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know if I'll see this or not. I'm spoiled now that I've seen the immortal Full Metal Jacket!
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    They fucked up "The Great Raid" really bad.
    How was that fucked up? I saw it, thought it was an excellent flick. I was familiar with the story. They got (most of) the history right. Didn't they? Well other than the romantic spin on it re: the nurse and the one POW.
    Last edited by Elwood P.; 11.03.05 at 12:07 AM.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

They watered it down and fictionalized stuff that they didn't need to. The story is gripping as is.

The book "Ghost Soldiers" is excellent, read it and you'll see what I mean.

My Blog:

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

An honest military flick is hard to get made in Hollywood, unless Tom Hanks is behind it. To them, the military is still the bad guy, or tricks young men into dying in a battle. Few honest movies have been made and even fewer "Pro" military movies have seen the light of day.

You will never see a movie based on a book about a guy who loved his time in service and is sorry he had to retire. But if a guy's a shitbird and his story is that he was screwed by the military you will see that on the big or small screen.

I don't know, Axx. Clint Eastwood is currently making two films about telling the story of the six men who raised an American flag on Mount Suribachi. It's going to be called Flags of our Fathers, and is supposed to be an excellent true to life film. The second one he is going to do will be the same film told from the perspective of the Japanese.

Knowing Clint, I think it will be excellent.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, I love "Heartbreak Ridge", but it's a cartoon.

"Band Of Brothers", "Saving Private Ryan" and "Platoon" set the standards for war movies. Although "Platoon" is contrivercial it's a quality light infantry movie. I'm not saying that the rest suck, there are a bunch of great war movies. The problem is that while many of them stand by themselves as great movies (Apocolypse Now), they often don't depict things accurately. Sometimes it's due to length of time (Black Hawk Down compressed charictors and events), but other times it's because everyone involved are morons (Pearl Harbor - as told from the perspective of the US Army Air Corps, WTF?). Then there are the movies that are making a statement, nobody gets a fair shake in those.

Plus, I've met Clint Eastwood. He was my mayor for two years and I've pissed at the next urinal to him twice. He's 6'4 and half of that must be his bladder because he can piss for days.

I'm seeing "Jarhead" tomorrow.

My Blog:

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

SPR had enough plot failures and historical oopsies. I wouldn't rank it as a great war film.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

They watered it down and fictionalized stuff that they didn't need to. The story is gripping as is.
    Maybe, but for a movie coming out of hollywood you are going to have to expect a level of that. I don't mean to sound like a hollywood apologist, no way to get around it I guess. Still, I thought it was one of the better war movies made, certainly in the last several years. It's a great story, unfortunately not as well read/known as it should be.
    Last edited by Elwood P.; 11.04.05 at 12:06 AM.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Saw "Jarhead", it's a good movie. It's about highly trained men bored to the point of insanity. Yes, they played fast and loose with reality again but they got much of the little things right. I say that as a guy who was never a Marine, but as a guy who's got 400 interviews of Army infantry from the same time frame. Bored grunts are creative.

Hear's my gripe about Pearl Harbor:

There are thousands of gripping, heart breaking stories of heroism from December 7th, 1941. As a writer, you can approach the subject two ways. You can collect seven or eight real-life naratives from actual survivors and give them the dramatic treatment. The other option is to create fictional charictors based on actual people and put them through a series of factual events. "Pearl Harbor" didn't really do either one. Cuba Gooding Jr was the only charictor factually represented. That event was loaded with numerous events and yet the movie skipped over most of them.

Compare that with "From Here To Eternity", by James Jones, where the story is based at Schoefield Barracks. It's all about an Amry unit and their new guy. When the attack at Pearl Harbor happens, the story stays at Schoefield. This is because the author was actually there so it's written from his perspective.

"Pearl Harbor" had great special effects but was otherwise a huge mess.

My Blog: