Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Hello From S. Florida...

Hey, folks...power was restored in our neighborhood Sunday about 12:30 PM local time, practically a week after the lights initially went out.

There are still roughly 3/4 of a million folk without power in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

There is no shortage of gasoline, just no power to pump it...our idiot governor Jeb Bush vetoed a bill last year that would have made it mandatory for all gas stations to have back-up generators, yet has gone on to blame South Floridians for not being prepared...

FEMA (as usual) has been a joke, as the only ice, food, tarps ect. have been provided not by FEMA, yet by the local governments and municipalities.

There are few working traffic lights in my area, which along with road debris and people behaving like jerks makes travel a nightmare.

It was reported Wednesday that Florida Power and Light failed to do inspections to light and power poles in the areas hardest hit ( old and brittle, they snapped like twigs in 100 m.p.h. winds), yet denies any culpability.

Despite what local media says, things are not getting back to normal. At this point, Mrs.chef and I have a minimum of 6 friends that are homeless, many more have had their businesses damaged or destroyed.

My mother (80 years old) has lost half of her roof. TopTimi, his wife and my wife and kids are ok, yet some are still waiting for power.

The thing missing most right now is any sense of normality, as these situations bring out the best and sadly the worst in people. I want to leave Florida, yet the kids and my mom are here.

It stinks having to stay up all night protecting one's house, simply because a certain section of the local populace feels that they have more right to my property than I do.

These same people have seen fit to barge to the front of lines waiting for supplies, as they apparently feel more "put-upon" than others...yet it's good to see this, as one can be secure that these same individuals are not looting, while sadly their brothers and sisters more than likely are. (Saturday night at work I had to call the police twice as folk tried to break into the store, and all I'm armed with is a selection of baseball bats and paint-guns.)

Sorry for the tone, I have not slept in days, hence the disjointed rambling of this post, and another storm is developing as we speak.

...craig
    Last edited by chefcraig; 10.31.05 at 07:02 AM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

glad to see ur doing ok..keep up the spirits. Tell top timi we're thinking about him as well..
    you might as well go to the pub and get mashed.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Glad to hear from ya, Chef! Been worried about ya, bro!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Eruption
    Last Online

09.23.13 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glad you're O.K.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks for keeping us informed, Craig. Nice to hear you're okay, hope things will get better soon

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

02.10.10 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm so glad to see you chef!!!!! I've been so worried about you guys down there.

Hang in there. FEMA is always slow you know that. It doesn't matter WHO is in charge of FEMA. Or who is Pres. And I feel that they will be worse than even now that they are stretched beyond believe with everything that has happened this year.

Local government is always first to respond. Don't be too hard on Jeb, he's a million times better than most of those assholes out there. Remember you could have had that bitch from LA for a governor that refused to ASK for help for almost 3 days. At least Jeb asks for help before the storms like he should. But your'e right that bill shouldn't have been vetoed. But like here and everywhere craig, some people have to begin to take some responibility for themselves. Esp. business people. Just think, if those gas stations would have done this on their own the money to be made. How stupid are they? Why should a bill have to be passed to have someone be smart enough to have a backup business plan in place. That's just bad buisness on their part. Dumbass as far as I'm concerned.

I know you are beyound stressed out. No one should have to fight to protect their property at a time like this. Everyone should have more respect for each other be helping each other more. Sadly, it's not that way enough.

We're looking to leave at least this part of FL. We're pretty tired of this mind set ourselves. Don't feel bad on that train of thought. But like you I have my son, daughter-in-law and grandbaby here now. So leaving would be very hard. But I have a feeling people think the same no matter where you go. There will always be those quick to take advantage of a bad situtation.

Hang in there. You have so many here that have you and your family in their thoughts and prayers. Tell Timi that we are all thinking and praying for them also.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
    --Mark Twain

There's no one as smart as a gambler at the track putting thier last $10.00 on the longest shot of the day.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Man Craig, I immediately thought about you when they were saying the bitch Wilma was heading your way. Glad to hear you ,your family and friends made it through ok, considering. I can't imagine how frustrating and exhausting it must be when you hear "another one" is coming your way.

Jesus, nice job of Bush getting gas distributed in such a desparate time of need

Look on the bright side Craig...The Dolphins won this week

Hoping the best for you and yours,
    Brian
    Last edited by axebrian; 10.31.05 at 07:36 AM.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, Chef. Stay safe. Keep us posted.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

glad to see youre ok, chef!!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Welcome back, Chef! Glad to see you are OK!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Glad you're back safe Chef! You are one stellar dude!

Favorite VH Album

Olive um
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some!!!
    Last Online

06.14.13 @ 10:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yo! Here I am, and happy to see 'ya back Chef. Definite time to hit the pub fo' sho'! You have pretty well described the scene for all of us here in S. Fla. I still don't have phone, but power is finially back. Work has been nonstop.
    Thanks all for the kind words and thoughts. Positive vibe goes a long long way. Peace.....Timi

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Nice to know you boys are alright. BTW, thanks for gettin' back to me, Timi. See ya in Oly after the New Year. Chef, you need to make a trek up here to the PNW also!
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Good to hear from you guys. Stay safe and know that we're all sending positive thoughts your way! Keep us updated when you can.
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thank god the chef is back in the kitchen!!!! Glad to know you're ok bro!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls