Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Default Dying quilted maple

I was wondering if any of you guys knew how to dye quilted maple? Reason I ask is this:

This is my next warmoth project thats going to be goin on this X-mas and I not only cant decide on what color to dye it, but I also dont know HOW to dye it. Some guys over at eddievanhalen.com kinda explained it but I still dont get it. Remember, ive only painted stripes so far so the dying is still new to me. Im deciding between amber or purple but im not sure on which one yet. I would have warmoth do it for me but their paint prices are a bit too high for me so I either have to leave it all nat-ur-al or paint it.

Some pictures with explanations would be greatly appreciated too.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Top Of The World
    Last Online

08.06.08 @ 04:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are two methods you could use that I've tried ... one is to apply a dye like a stain and the other would be to spray on a tinted finish.

The easiest would probably be using a tinted stain. What I've done is to go down to a local paint supply place and simply ask them for a "colored base" and they match whatever color I want. Brought it home, lightly sanded the wood to open pores of the wood and apply the stain with a clean rag (old T-shirts work great). If the color isn't as rich as you'd like it to be, apply again and again. You can also sand the wood in between applications and the dye will really get into the wood that way. Let it dry for a while and then prepare to clear coat.

If you have a good sprayer (not like the Wanger paint-sprayers but the good paint sprayers people use for auto body work and stuff like that) you could get a tinted finish like from Stew-Mac and do the color and finish together. This is the process the big guitar factories use I believe.

The results are similar in either case from my point of view, but I tend to prefer the rubbed in stain method myself.

Good luck.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a real easy way to do that, the problem is color limitations, if you like an Amber type finish Minwax actually has spray on woodstain in what is called Golen oak tint, that is by ar the easieast thng to do, just spray it on wipe it down let it dry, if you want it darker just keep doing it over and over, then lightly sand it and put deft clear wood finish over it (also in a spray can) you have your choice of satin, semi gloss or gloss that is by fat the easiest thing to do and if you take your time it looks professional, honestly for someone who hasn't done this sort of thing before that I what I suggest to do.
    Now if you wanna really get into it goto www.stewmac.com and pic from these colors and make your own stain you can use water or alcohol to thin these
    concentrated formulas

you just wipe these on as mentioned in the previous reply and keep doing it till you get the tint you want, if you take your time you can make it look just as good as any from a custom shop.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...id_Stains.html

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Do you think I could get a lookin purple from the minwax stuff? Purple is what im leanin towards but actually doing it is another story.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901
    Do you think I could get a lookin purple from the minwax stuff? Purple is what im leanin towards but actually doing it is another story.

no as far as I know there is no purple shade in the minwax stuff, if you want purple you'll have to go the stewmac route

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rolsguitars View Post
    There is a real easy way to do that, the problem is color limitations, if you like an Amber type finish Minwax actually has spray on woodstain in what is called Golen oak tint, that is by ar the easieast thng to do, just spray it on wipe it down let it dry, if you want it darker just keep doing it over and over, then lightly sand it and put deft clear wood finish over it (also in a spray can) you have your choice of satin, semi gloss or gloss that is by fat the easiest thing to do and if you take your time it looks professional, honestly for someone who hasn't done this sort of thing before that I what I suggest to do.
    Now if you wanna really get into it goto www.stewmac.com and pic from these colors and make your own stain you can use water or alcohol to thin these
    concentrated formulas

you just wipe these on as mentioned in the previous reply and keep doing it till you get the tint you want, if you take your time you can make it look just as good as any from a custom shop.
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...id_Stains.html
    Another great way to go, and I've done it for years, is using Mohawk brand NGR (non grain raising dye) I'm lucky because I have a Mohawk dealer right close to my house, but they are in quite a few locations, and if not they will ship. NGR is alcohol based, and is very consistent, and controlable because of this. It also does not require a final sand after application, hence the name. The most important thing, and I'm not sure if you mentioned before, but before you do anything is to make sure NO sanding sealer has been applied. I received a strat body from Warmoth last year, and I specified no sealer,because I was doing a natural finish, but they did it anyway. Usually you can tell because it has a slight gloss, and/or milkiness, but some of the new ones nowadays are damn near impossible to spot. Unfortunately, I found out while applying the dye. I sanded the body with 400 gr. just to clean it up, and I guess I broke through what sealer they did apply. When I dyed, the edges went way dark. Anyhow I caught it quick and was able to sand back before it soaked in to far. Once I removed the sealer, and reapplied the dye, I had a beautiful deep red finish, that only intensified when I applied the super gloss nitro. You can either wipe on or spray. I usually wipe on with the grain, and observe carefully as I go, and backstep a bit if an area needs a little more attention. Look up Mohawk finishes on the web and see what's available. I know they have the amber and the pimp Caddy purple you're thinking of. Good luck.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 03.02.09 at 09:25 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

03.04.09 @ 09:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use only the best materials and products to stain my guitars with. I use a stain that will not raise the grain like Mcfaddens color dyes that can be purchased at stewmac.com or Grizzly.com. The first thing I do is make sure every little tiny sanding scratch is sanded smooth with 500 grit paper, and then stain the top black. I then sand that off the black lightly until only the pores or low spots remain black, then stain it the color on that. This method produces the deepest quilt illusions, and is the method PRS uses.