Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

01.08.11 @ 12:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Woman fired for missing work after seeing husband off to war

This is a great PR move.......

CALEDONIA, Michigan (AP) -- A woman who took an unpaid leave of absence from work to see her husband off to war has been fired after failing to show up for her part-time receptionist job the day following his departure.
    "It was a shock," said Suzette Boler, a 40-year-old mother of three and grandmother of three. "I was hurt. I felt abandoned by people I thought cared for me. I sat down on the floor and cried for probably two hours."

Officials at her former workplace, Benefit Management Administrators Inc., confirmed that Boler was dismissed when she didn't report to work the day after she said goodbye to her husband of 22 years.

"We gave her sufficient time to get back to work," Clark Galloway, vice president of operations for Benefit Management, told The Grand Rapids Press for a story published Wednesday.

He added that other factors were involved in the decision but he declined to elaborate.

On October 16, Boler went with her husband, Army Spc. Jerry Boler, 45, to an Indianapolis-area airfield, where he and others in his National Guard unit gathered to be transported to Fort Dix, New Jersey. The unit soon will be deployed to Iraq, where he will help guard convoys from insurgent attacks.

Suzette Boler had received permission to take off work the week leading up to her husband's departure. As a part-time employee at Benefit Management, she did not receive vacation pay and was not compensated for her time off.

When Boler returned home from Indiana on the night of October 16, a few hours after leaving her husband at the airfield, she said she felt drained by the emotional ordeal.

She said she had told her bosses that she would try to return on October 17 but if she could not, she would definitely be back October 18, she said.

But on the afternoon of October 17, she received a call from work telling her to come in the following day and get her things because she was being fired. Her pink slip said the reason was she failed to show up for work October 17, a Monday, she said.

"If I had even an inkling that I would be fired for not coming in Monday, I would have been there," she said.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Man that sucks.

Can't those bastards answer their own damn phone???
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Nope, sorry, that "other factors were involved in the decision" says it all. She was a fuck up with a laundry list of unexcused absences, I guarantee it.

That said, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger then. Stupid timing, he should have gotten better advice. One of the cardinal rules of firing people - pick your final incident carefully, and get everything in writing.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:50 AM
    Liked 595 Times in 365 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by IED
    Nope, sorry, that "other factors were involved in the decision" says it all. She was a fuck up with a laundry list of unexcused absences, I guarantee it.
    I agree. Sounds like she abused the fact that her husband was leaving in order to take an additional day off. If it was Monday she missed, he probably shipped off on Sunday. Go back to work lazy bitch.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That said, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger then. Stupid timing, he should have gotten better advice. One of the cardinal rules of firing people - pick your final incident carefully, and get everything in writing.
    I agree. Do not get me wrong, I understand people need off to see their significant others off, but some people use "timing" like this to sensationalize the situation. I am tired of a society that hides behing bullshit to cover up other bullshit. I didn't really say thiat did I? Someone made me say it
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Boy am I glad you're not my boss!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My exact thoughts reading the article.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Seems like a lot of assuming going on here. Her family is sending a guy to a place where he could make the ultimate sacrifice for his country. Would I be in bits when he left?.. damn right!! Shame on them for doing this!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    Seems like a lot of assuming going on here. Her family is sending a guy to a place where he could make the ultimate sacrifice for his country. Would I be in bits when he left?.. damn right!! Shame on them for doing this!!
    SEA - when I read the header, it would seem to be a very cruel thing to do but, with the country being so supportive of the soldiers (well, 99% are) it's very unlikely that if she gave proper notice they would do this. I do agree, if she was messing up on the job, they certainly could have waited for some other reason. I guess we are all assuming something by not having all the details.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

And that is the point my friend, the assuming part. I dont know about the US but to sack someone here needs verbal and written warning first or the employer is in deep doo doo.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's definitely the same way in the US. People sue at the drop of a hat which sorta leads me to my assumption that something was really wrong that they thought they could do this without repercussions. She would have the sympthy of a jury on her side for sure. Geez, you can't even call for a reference anymore because if your ex employer says something negative that prevents you from getting a job, you can sue for possible defamation of character and preventing you from being gainfully employed. I do appreciate the sacrifice of anyone who is in the military and their families regardless of other circumstances.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    And that is the point my friend, the assuming part. I dont know about the US but to sack someone here needs verbal and written warning first or the employer is in deep doo doo.
    Around here all they need is a reason. Most places anyway. In my lovely state of Kansas, they have what is called a "Right to Work" law. What it boils down to is that you can terminate your employment at any time you choose, and they can do the same. Most places adhere to the verbal/written warning system, but I've seen people terminated where I work without any warning whatsoever.

I have to side with the woman on this one. Seeing your husband of 22 years off to war cannot be an easy thing to deal with. Anything from the employers end about other issues is just them covering their asses due to the negative publicity. That's my opinion anyway. Most of these big companies, including mine, are run by sociopath, unfeeling bastards who don't give a rats ass about the people that they employ. God, am I an angry bastard or what?!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Most of these big companies, including mine, are run by sociopath, unfeeling bastards who don't give a rats ass about the people that they employ. God, am I an angry bastard or what?!
    A truthful angry one just like me bro! I hate working for heartless fuckers....but where is there to go?
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    A truthful angry one just like me bro! I hate working for heartless fuckers....but where is there to go?
    That's our dilemma isn't it? And they know it too. That's why we have to put up with the bullshit. Around here there just aren't that many decent paying jobs, so they know they can jerk you around. What am I going to do, quit my job and take a $5 an hr. paycut to work somewhere else? I can barely afford to live on what I make now. They've got me right where they want me, by the checkbook.

Have you ever figured out your monthly bills, and then figured what you make an hr. after paying the bills? It's very sad once you figure out what you're really working for.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Get with the program,down times for the devil!!!

Good for her,she could've just waited till after work to screw her boyfriend.