F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Default Hot Stove Thread

Well, the series is over and the White Sox have gotten their first championship since 1917. Congratulations!! Now that the season is over and the hot stove coming up, here's a place to talk about trades, acquistions, and your opinions on your favorite MLB teams' off-season moves. Enjoy!!

First off, I'd like to see the Yanks work incredibly hard on their bullpen and find a quality centerfielder now that it looks like Bernie Williams is gone...that's all for now, we'll see what this offseason brings.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:27 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

No sense wasting any time!

But I was the same way - as soon as the game ended last night, I started thinking about next year! Will the White Sox come back as strong? Will their win spur the Cubs to improve and maybe break their 98 year losing streak? What about the Astros? Will Clemens be back? What free agents will be out there and who will sign them? Who will win the awards?

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

LOL, if this wasn't up, I was going to start it. I LOVE this time of year.

Red Sox have a lot of shit they need to figure out. Not to mention that Theo may not be back. Ownership just bumped their offer to 3 years at $1.2 million per, and he rejected it. Rumors abound, about whether he wants more money, more years, or to report directly to John Henry to avoid Lucchino.

They have a gazillion free agents, and they have 4 or 5 young pitchers and three young position players that are either ready or about to be ready to come up.

Will Manny go? Does he want to go? He's 10/5 now, so he can veto a trade. And, unlike most "professionals", if he wants out and doesn't get out, there is always the likelihood that he'll dog it.

I think the Red Sox have the most to gain/lose this offseason, since they have so many decisions to make.

And, to stick my nose a couple hundred miles to the south, I think the Yankees are in trouble. Age and no prospects are no way to operate. And the free agent crop is horrible. They could probably give it go for another year or two, but man, they could crash hard. But, then, so could the BoSox if they make a couple of bad decisions.

Last Online

10.14.16 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    What about the Astros? Will Clemens be back? What free agents will be out there and who will sign them? Who will win the awards?
    They were already talking on the radio this morning about Astro GM Tim Pupura needing to pick up a big bat to put in the line-up. My question is: where are you going to put him? IF Bagwell comes back (which is a great big IF), you've got Berkman, Taveras, and Lane in the OF. I don't see any of them being moved off. Maybe Lane, but he's young and picked up a ton of experience this season and post-season. Biggio is a lock at 2B. Everett is gold at SS, so I doubt he'll get traded despite his lack of offense. Ensberg.... well, he may have made himself expendable this post-season. He had a pretty good regular season, but only a couple of breakout games in the play offs. I'm betting Ausmus will be back. He's a free agent, but has said that he is really only interested in playing for 2 teams. One of them is Houston. The other is presumably San Diego, where he lives during the off-season.

So, looking for trade bait? Ensberg and Lane might be expendable if we can get a bigger stick to put in either one of their positions. Plus, Luke Scott and Chris Burke are going to be bucking for some playing time.

My big concern is finding an arm to take Clemens' spot in the rotation. If Clemens retires (and I think he will)we need another quality pitcher in the rotation. Astacio is not an answer.
    The only adventures I regret
    are the ones I missed,
    and the thought of all the pretty girls
    I never tried to kiss.
    -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

If Bagwell isn't traded to a AL team, he needs to be a assistant coach.
    Berkman then goes to 1st.
    Bidge @ 2nd.
    Everett @ SS.
    Lane @3rd (he just seems like a 3rd baseman).
    Ausmus @ catcher (one more season to tutor Quintero & Chavo).
    Scott in left.
    Willy in center.
    Burke in right.

Oswalt,
    Pettite,
    Backe,
    ( read below ),
    Wheeler,
    Qualls,
    Wandy,
    Lidge.

Now...
    Keep Palmiero & Bruntlett for sure.

Package Ensberg and Vizciano together w/ some $$ and send them to San Diego for Woody Williams. (I shook Woody's hand at game 3) He is form here and Viz lives in San Diego.
    I like Ensberg, and think he is better than his WS (lack of)performance. But we will have to lose somebody to get somebody.

And guys like Gipson, Burns, etc. will try out in the spring.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

10.14.16 @ 08:38 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150
    Package Ensberg and Vizciano together w/ some $$ and send them to San Diego for Woody Williams. (I shook Woody's hand at game 3) He is form here and Viz lives in San Diego.
    I like Ensberg, and think he is better than his WS (lack of)performance. But we will have to lose somebody to get somebody.
    I'm a little nervous about trading off Ensberg. That's one of those that would come back and bite you in the ass. He just has a few things to work out on his hitting mechanics. Did you notice the way his right (back) foot was all over the place in his at bats? If Gaetti didn't catch that, they might want to look at a new batting coach.

Vizciano is a free agent. We probably won't be packaging him with anyone.

I wish we had picked up Woody Williams last year. We needed a 5th starter anyway. We met him during the playoffs last year. His son plays Little League in Missouri City, same as us. It was a travel day during the NLCS and his son had a game the same night my son did (different age group though). He was very gracious and signed a ball for my son. Cool dude.
    The only adventures I regret
    are the ones I missed,
    and the thought of all the pretty girls
    I never tried to kiss.
    -DLR

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by KleeHee
    I'm a little nervous about trading off Ensberg. That's one of those that would come back and bite you in the ass. He just has a few things to work out on his hitting mechanics. Did you notice the way his right (back) foot was all over the place in his at bats? If Gaetti didn't catch that, they might want to look at a new batting coach.

Vizciano is a free agent. We probably won't be packaging him with anyone.

I wish we had picked up Woody Williams last year. We needed a 5th starter anyway. We met him during the playoffs last year. His son plays Little League in Missouri City, same as us. It was a travel day during the NLCS and his son had a game the same night my son did (different age group though). He was very gracious and signed a ball for my son. Cool dude.
    That post was a summary of what I was thinking as I fell asleep after game 4.
    I forgot Viz is a free agent. And I know Woody is pretty much off limits.
    Ensberg poses a problem though. I am a big supporter of his. I think he never recovered from getting hit on the hand this season. But he hasn't said anything about that and he told the team that last year his injuries(that he hadn't told anyone about at the time) affected his batting. He is potentially the best batter we have. He just needs to be honest w/ the coaches. If Gaetti can get through to him and settle him down, then yes, we keep him.

I really have no idea how we get any more pitching though. We would have to give up too much to get anyone that is any good.
    I do think Pupura will do whatever is best for the team.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Default well ain't this some shit

i found this on a baseball forum earlier- hope it's not anyone from the Yankees..

An American League outfielder on a postseason team tested positive for steroids, according to his agent, but the player is appealing the results."

Certainly interesting, but I didn't make much of it until we talked to Baseball Prospectus' Will Carroll on today's Sports Bloggers Live. Will writes a weekly column for BP that Peter Gammons has called an "industry standard," and he also wrote a book called 'The Juice' earlier this year. His response when told of the rumor?

Carroll: "I really can't talk about it right now. It should be coming out within the next two weeks."

SBL: "Is this a name we're actually going to care about?"

Carroll: "Yes."

SBL: "Is it a World Series champion?"

Carroll: "I really can't talk about it."

SBL: "I would hope not, because that might turn those White Sox black... Will, cough once if he's on the White Sox... Cough twice if it's Gary Sheffield."

Carroll: "I was involved in the appeals process so I can't comment at all."

whaddaya think? whodoya think?
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

“ Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) ” FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Can't be an Astro, because if it was, it didn't do them any good! Wonder how long it's going to be before these guys wisen up?

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007
    Can't be an Astro, because if it was, it didn't do them any good! Wonder how long it's going to be before these guys wisen up?

I heard rumors a couple of months ago (and posted it at this site) that Clemens and Johnny Damon tested positive and that the official news of it would not come out until after the postseason. Maybe this is it?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

You would think the players would get a clue. The penalties for roid usage needs to be much stiffer.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

And I think they will be soon enough, but still, even with the stigma attached, you'd think that would be enough. This isn't like getting caught doing pot or coke, which while illegal and having a stigma of their own attached to them, they have no (positive anyway) affect on the game you play. But everyone now associates steroids with cheating, more so than any edge a player may have tried to gain in the past, whether it was cork or tear away jerseys or whatever. Why would anyone want to be labeled a cheater. They didn't have testing for cork, so you might get away with that. But there is now testing for steroids, and if you do them, you WILL get caught. Simple as that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

This bullshit of allowing these players to STILL play and effect the outcome while the Attorneys and Agents file papers is wrong!! Once the appeal process has been exhausted and the player is still found to be guilty those games should be forfitted!! There needs to be pressure from more than just the owners. If the teammates are going to be pissed off and you have to co exist in a club house with angry players because you CHEATED and got caught and cost them a game or twenty, I think this would detour a lot of guys.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 536 Times in 320 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Theo Epstein - where the fuck do you start?

First, the Boston Globe has a 17% ownership stake in the Red Sox, and that plays a big part. Keep that in mind.

One big issue was some conflict between Larry Lucchino and Theo. One of the big issues is that Larry prefers to air their dirty laundry in public, he uses the Globe and other news outlets to spin things the Red Sox' way. For instance, he went public with Manny's trade demand at the trade deadline at the same time Theo and Francona were trying to smooth things over. Manny then went into a funk and missed 3 games. I think Theo prefers to do things like the Pats do, and that is NO leaks, period. The Pats never say a word about contract issues, even when the player is going off on them in public (see Ty Law). Lucchino simply has too big of an ego to allow that, he fires back. He's also the person that sunk the A-Rod deal back when when he started spouting off.

Now, let's move to these negotiations. Theo hasn't said a peep. Nothing. No leaks, no nothing. Meanwhile, after Theo turned down the BoSox' initial offer, it showed up in the, you guessed it, Boston Globe. They ran the numbers that Theo turned down. Pretty obvious spin for the Red Sox, trying to imply Theo is greedy.

Okay, so that apparently got resolved, since they seemed to be close to a deal. In fact, the Boston Globe ran that the signing was a done deal, announcement was iminent.

Then, on Sunday, Dan Shaunessey of the, yup, Boston Globe, ran an article that made Theo look real bad. During the season, Theo had a trade with the Rockies for Larry Bigbie that the Red Sox backed out of. Big controversy, but ultimately, ownership supposedly killed the deal. Now, on the Sunday before Theo's contract runs out, the Globe ran an article that said that Theo asked Larry Lucchino to kill the deal, to fall on the sword so Theo wouldn't take the hit with other GM's. The article also hammered Theo for daring to want to separate himself from Lucchino and Charles Steinberg, another front office guy with the Red Sox, since they are the ones that gave him his start and held his hand throughout his career. Basically, the article gave them all the credit for Theo's success, and Theo none. They hired him as an intern in Baltimore, they brought him to San Diego, they told him to go to Law school, they made him the youngest GM in baseball (after Billy Beane backed out of a signed deal), so how dare Theo think he can go it alone.

That did it. Theo's done.

I think the bottom line is that Theo has class, and Larry Lucchino doesn't. It even goes all the way back to Nomar - Theo wanted to praise Nomar and let him walk out of here with head held high after the trade. Lucchino or someone in the Red Sox organization planted all kinds of smear stories that basically portrayed Nomar as the anti-Christ.

End of story. The Red Sox are worse off for it.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

cnnsi.com's burning hot stove questions:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

It's too long to copy and post here.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.