WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The Official Cheap Trick Thread!

Hello there ladies and gentlemen... are you ready to rock? Are you ready or not?

HOLY COW I just saw Cheap Trick last night opening for Def Leppard. They were a favorite band of mine when I was younger. Robin Zander sounds EXACTLY the same as he did 30 years ago! What a nostaligia trip it was.

Who else is a fan???
    Shari
    Last edited by billy007; 10.24.05 at 12:52 PM.
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 969 Times in 367 Posts

Best thing about it, is that it's not just Zander and 2 or three replacement guys.. It's the whole band!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod
    Best thing about it, is that it's not just Zander and 2 or three replacement guys.. It's the whole band!
    Can you say Bun E. Carlos?
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,065 Times in 1,100 Posts

Donor

Default Cheap Trick rocks!

HELL YEAH! Count me in. Cheap Trick is amazing. And you are correct, Zander has not aged a bit, he still smokes on vocals!

If you wanna take a history lesson of Cheap Trick....then this is the DVD for you:

Just click on that picture and buy it!

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Do you have this, Paw? Some of the reviewers say the audio is crap.

Shari

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw
    HELL YEAH! Count me in. Cheap Trick is amazing. And you are correct, Zander has not aged a bit, he still smokes on vocals!

If you wanna take a history lesson of Cheap Trick....then this is the DVD for you:

Just click on that picture and buy it!
    I am every bit as fanatical about these guys as I am about VH, maybe even more so at times..
    I do own the DVD mentioned above and the audio is just fine. I'll post more later regarding the Trick, but have had the pleasure of spending 1/2 or so shooting the breeze with Rick the guitar player and there is is a Van Halen connection here you guys will get a kick out of. Nothing earth shattering but I share my story anyhow and sing the praises of the little band from Rockford, Illinois!!
    All you need in this life is a tremendous sex drive and a great ego , brain's don't mean a shit! ~ Captain Tony Tarracino

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. ~ Hunter S. Thompson

When you figure out that you can't figure it out, your finally gettin your shit together. ~ Jimmy Buffett

http://www.myspace.com/palm_trees_and_mojitos

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,065 Times in 1,100 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vh_chick
    Do you have this, Paw? Some of the reviewers say the audio is crap.

Shari
    Hmmmm, I got this when it first came out and haven't watched it in a while, but I don't remember the audio being that bad? Some reviews say it's great, others say it's awful.

I dont' think I ever watched it on my big screen with the surround sound on, so maybe they are right? I think sometimes the reviewers on Amazon tend to have unrealistic expectations regarding the sound and video quality of concerts. And this Cheap Trick dvd seems to be on the low budget end compared to say a "Live Without a Net" or Iron Maiden's "Rock in Rio" DVD. But it STILL rocks big time.

It's a cool dvd with a killer setlist, that I can say.......I'll have to watch it with the home theater setup and report back.

I also have a Rick Neilson guitar pic, I'll scan it and post it (when I find it ) I got it when they opened for Motley Crue in 1997. That was a very odd show to say the least.
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 10.24.05 at 08:38 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

03.22.09 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw

I also have a Rick Neilson guitar pic, I'll scan it and post it (when I find it ) I got it when they opened for Motley Crue in 1997. That was a very odd show to say the least.
    I got one also from when they opened for R.E.O Speedwagon. I think from around 1989 or 90.
    I made some mistakes tonight but we sing and play our f***ing instruments. Accept no substitute Tom Petty at the Darien Lake Performing Arts Center July 3, 2002

Last Online

09.01.16 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 919 Times in 582 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Cheap Trick rawks. Live at Budokan - best live album ever from any band.

Wish they were opening for Def Leppard when I'm seeing 'em next week....I gotta friggin' figure out what to do during Bryan Adams' opening....

How was DL, Shari? I'm seeing them for the first time next week.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

01.20.17 @ 05:02 PM
    Liked 940 Times in 646 Posts

Premium Member

Cheap Trick, In Color, Heaven Tonight and Dream Police were all very important albums to me in my late teens - not just the hits, but songs like "Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace", "Downed", "Gonna Raise Hell", "Takin' Me Back", "The Ballad Of T.V. Violence", "Heaven Tonight", etc. all resonated well with me. Started to lose it a little bit with All Shook Up and then became hit and miss up until Lap Of Luxury, which was pretty solid.

Have never seen them live yet - would like to see them, but they're always doing these shared tours, where they probably don't get to play a full set. But then, I don't know that I can expect them to headline again. But also, when they play around here it always seems to be some weird venue like Downtown Disney or hell, they played some park up in Sanford earlier this year! I just want to go to an amphitheatre and be able to sit and watch a show!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wow some snaps for the Trick!!!
    This is great!!
    The Dream Police is now in da house!!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

They're coming out now... who else??? Come on, you KNOW you like Cheap Trick!

Now that I have done some digging and even purchased the Authorized Greatest Hits very early this morning, I am almost disappointed in the set they played last night! It was only an opening set, but geez Louise they didn't play "Ain't That a Shame" and it IS a shame! Nor did they play "Tonight It's You" or "Stop This Game" which is a GREAT SONG. However, they did pull out "Big Eyes," "I Want You to Want Me" and "Surrender."

I wanna' see them again, and I want more! They have so many great songs they could have played. Ah well. And so it begins... another revived obsession for me...

Shari

Favorite VH Album

CVH minus DD, FUCK, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, 5150
    Last Online

11.18.14 @ 07:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well done starting this thread Shari, I've thought about it many times....

I love Cheap Trick, I've seen them 3 times. First time was two years ago at Arrowfest, they played about a half hour set. Then I saw them headline last year at a club and I was front row, got one of Tom's pics And then I saw them open for Alice Cooper last month. The best of the 3 was last month, they just totally rocked!
    "Suck a fat one, faggot."
    -MikeL, showing off that sharp wit of his.

"You may recognize some of these chemicals. Let's start with cyanide...The one the Aum Shinrikyo cult attempted to use to commit mass murder in a Tokyo subway in May 1995...The same cyanide produced routinely--1.4 million tons per year--for use in the production of plastics, adhesives, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, and so on. It seems that those who put small amounts of cyanide in subways are terrorists. But those who produce it in mass quantities and contaminate broad reaches of soil, water, and air, killing countless living beings, are not terrorists, but rather capitalists, and are counted among the finest and most powerful people on the planet."

-Derrick Jensen, "What We Leave Behind"

"You know what's weird to me is Christians who are against the death penalty. After all, if it weren't for the death penalty, we wouldn't celebrate Easter!"

-the late, great, Bill Hicks

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by arcticwolf64
    I am every bit as fanatical about these guys as I am about VH, maybe even more so at times..
    I do own the DVD mentioned above and the audio is just fine. I'll post more later regarding the Trick, but have had the pleasure of spending 1/2 or so shooting the breeze with Rick the guitar player and there is is a Van Halen connection here you guys will get a kick out of. Nothing earth shattering but I share my story anyhow and sing the praises of the little band from Rockford, Illinois!!
    Sooo... where's your story?

Shari

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yeah, where'd he go???
    RIP - Classic Van Halen