Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attenuators??

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Attenuators??

Anyone here ever use/own one of these?? Hell if they do what they claim it would be great. MF offers a few, Gibson, Hot plate, Marshall etc....anyone play the different models?? I would be really thankfull to hear some opinions, 'cuz this would be a great investment for only 3hundy or so, I could crank the Fender and not destroy the ears and get great tone!! I'm really jacked up about getting one of these, so any and all input would be great. Thanks, Randy.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

wouldnt that be a variac?
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sisca
    wouldnt that be a variac?

Well, I don't know...that's why I'm asking. But you were a ton of help.....Thanks!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

An attenuator is plugged into your amp between the speaker out jack and the speaker cabinet. This is a "dummy load", which drops some of the applied voltage from the amp across it, so that the full voltage isn't dropped across the speaker cab itself, therefore reducing the overall volume.

Using an attenuator is a trade off. You can get that nice warm power tube distortion you like at a reasonable volume, but it negatively impacts your tone.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos
    An attenuator is plugged into your amp between the speaker out jack and the speaker cabinet. This is a "dummy load", which drops some of the applied voltage from the amp across it, so that the full voltage isn't dropped across the speaker cab itself, therefore reducing the overall volume.

Using an attenuator is a trade off. You can get that nice warm power tube distortion you like at a reasonable volume, but it negatively impacts your tone.

I was worried if it would affect the tone. Thanks alot for the input!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.05.11 @ 05:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try this website for info. Certain settings can affect tone!

http://www.legendarytones.com/UltAtt1.htm

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Dr. Z's "Airbrake" has gotten some outstanding word-of-mouth reviews. It doesn't even need a separate power supply. Apparently it doesn't "color" your natural tone. Check it out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    Dr. Z's "Airbrake" has gotten some outstanding word-of-mouth reviews. It doesn't even need a separate power supply. Apparently it doesn't "color" your natural tone. Check it out.
    I use a Dr. Z and I'm extremely impressed. I A/B'd against the others on the market and felt it was the better unit. The Weber Mass is also a nice attenuator as well.

Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I use a Weber Mass 100 with my 5150 head. I use it as a load box. The 5150 is plugged into the Weber. I then take a line off of the Weber and run that into my 30 watt Marshall solid state 1x12. I've got a Pod xt in the loop for effects only. This setup sounds great. I've got the post lead and rhythm both set on 6, because that seems to be the sweet spot on my amp, but volume-wise I'm playing at bedroom levels. The tone controls on the Weber work very well, as does the volume control. I can get great cranked 5150 tones at volume levels that you could talk over. I find the Weber to be terrific if you run it this way.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.11.06 @ 05:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a Hotplate made by THD. The Gibson ones are just THD's with Gibson's name on them. I think the Hotplate is an essential piece of gear. It allows the Non-mv amps to really be turned up to where they sound good and you can set the volume at reasonable levels. The big 100 watt amps cannot be used in clubs or home without either a MV or an attenuator. With the Hotplate, you can really work the volume knob on your guitar. I just love mine.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

I use a Hotplate with my 5150 combo and it works really well. There are a lot of different settings to determine the degree of attenuation, so there are different impacts to tone. If it's just me, I'll use it at its highest level (most attenuation) and there is some impact to the tone. However, remember that someone said "volume IS tone." Therefore, any impact to volume - which is the essence of attenuators - will impact your tone. I compensate with the volume on the guitar or an EQ and it sounds fine.

I would check the Fender forums and see which attenuators people there are using because different brands and rigs probably work better together.

Last Online

01.05.12 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really pleased with the Weber Mass, been useing one for 3 yrs with a bunch of old heads. I think they sound very natural. At high attenuation levels you will lose some treble response, much of that has to do with not pushing the speakers. If you are trying to turn 100 watts of output into 5 you will lose something, just like a Master Volume will. For price and features I think the MASS is really tough to beat. I am real picky about tone and this really fit the bill. I like it better than both the Hotplate ( still a very good unit) and Powerbrake, seems just a bit more natural to my ear.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    Hmm, well I think I'm going to check this out for myself. Where I'm currently living I really can't crank my 5150, so this might be a good way for me to go. I'll check it out.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

palmer speaker sim. it dosent get any better then this right here. i love mine.

http://www.palmergear.com/pdi03.shtml

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

how do you use your palmer load box?

with a power amp to cab like eddie?

or direct to mixing board?

or like an attenuater?
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.