Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

5150 from LWAN
    Last Online

11.01.07 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Syria you're next...

CNN is reporting President Bush has called for the United Nations to convene after "deeply disturbing" report implicates Syrian officials in the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri...

(AP) -- President George W. Bush on Friday called on the United Nations to convene a session as soon as possible to deal with a U.N. investigative report implicating Syrian officials in the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

"The report strongly suggests that the politically motivated assassination could not have taken place without Syrian involvement," Bush said after helping dedicate a new pavilion at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Southern California.

The U.N. investigative report, which Bush called "deeply disturbing," established a link between high-ranking Syrian officials and their Lebanese allies in Hariri's murder February 14 in Beirut.

Earlier Friday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she was deeply troubled by the U.N. report. She said the international community must find a way to hold Syrian authorities accountable.

Rice spoke to reporters in Birmingham, Alabama, after the release of a report by U.N. investigator Detlev Mehlis that established a clear link between Syrian officials and their Lebanese allies to the assassination.

In Washington, another top State Department official said Hariri was the victim of a "political crime" that could not have been carried out without the involvement of senior Syrian and Lebanese intelligence officials. (Full story)

Assistant Secretary of State C. David Welch said in Washington said "we would like to see those responsible for this crime and others in Lebanon brought to justice."

The United Nations' exhaustive report linked the brother and brother-in-law of Syria's president to the February 14 car bomb that killed Hariri and 20 others, and said Lebanese intelligence officials helped organize it.

The report stopped short of fingering Syrian President Bashar Assad or his inner circle. But it accused the regime of failing to cooperate in the inquiry. The report also alleged Syrian Foreign Minister Farouk al-Sharaa lied in a letter to the investigating commission.

Rice declined to discuss next steps beyond saying that some kind of international mechanism must be established to ensure that Syria is held accountable.

She said there is strong support among U.N. members for an extension of Mehlis' mandate, perhaps until December 15.

"Accountability is going to be very important for the international community," she said.

Welch, speaking at the Foreign Press Center, said the Bush administration had begun discussions at the United Nations and with Arab and other governments on how to act on the report.

Welch said some Arab governments share the administration's concern about Syria's "destabilizing" actions in Lebanon, but he declined to identify with whom the United States was finding initial support.

Welch, who said he had read the report, said it contained "amazing evidence."

"The report concludes there is probable cause to believe the (assassination) decision could not have been taken without the collusion of top Syrian and Lebanese intelligence officials," Welch said.
    "You will respect my authoritah!" Ptl.Cartman

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I doubt that we would be that involved but I do see the US strong arming the UN into some type of action.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I just wish the U. S. would get out of the UN altogether. It would be in our best interests to tell those commie bastards that run the UN to fuck off!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I don't know too much about the UN, Viking. Could you please tell me a little about it?

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I've always considered the UN being an umbrella organization for the US

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.27.07 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

lol, this has to be the fastest derailed thread in our history.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Mishar McLeud
    I've always considered the UN being an umbrella organization for the US
    That would be an umbrella that soaks only you.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    I don't know too much about the UN, Viking. Could you please tell me a little about it?
    hey vike-

still got that boot in yer mouth?

On Fire
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

This is nothing new. The report is simply confirming what the Lebanese (along with everyone else in this region) have known for many years. Nothing has been done about it for all these years due to the complex relationship Syria has with the US, US allies and enemies. I would be very surprised if anything was done about it now.

Syrias is one of the most slippery governments in the Middle East. I think everyone in the security council knows this from experience.
    Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 591 Times in 362 Posts

Donor

What were we talking about?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wrists will be slapped, denials will be made, lots of huffing and puffing on many sides but in the end...nothing's going to happen.

Syria should thank us, if we hadn't screwed up Iraq, they'd be in bigger trouble, but now with the way things are nobody's going to risk destablizing another Middle-Eastern country and possibly hand it to Islamic extremists.

In case you haven't been keeping a score card, ousting governments isn't as easy as it looks at the think-tank.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    In case you haven't been keeping a score card, ousting governments isn't as easy as it looks at the think-tank.
    Ousting the government is the easy part.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.03.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    I just wish the U. S. would get out of the UN altogether. It would be in our best interests to tell those commie bastards that run the UN to fuck off!
    I agree, Vike!

The fact is that right now, the political parties in our country take advantage of the UN (yes, Republican and Democrat). We should get out of there, they should get out of here, and in all honesty, I like the Monroe Doctrine, even in our global economy (in a sense, can't go into detail here).
    Go Bills and Sabres!

We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

For the love of god, would someone please explain the UN to me?!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MikeL
    For the love of god, would someone please explain the UN to me?!

Theory or practice?

My Blog: