12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Default A Copy of "Open Letter to Eddie Van Halen"

I saw this on the www this morning.

acs
    -----------------------

Rock Star: Van Halen?
    Posted by Michele Catalano on October 20, 2005 09:06 AM

MTV is reporting that next season's installment of Rock Star (the reality show that just placed a new lead singer for INXS) will be Van Halen.

As a Van Halen fan (and I use the word fan in its truest sense, as a derivitave of fanatic), my first reaction was to hunt Eddie down and kill him. Instead:

An Open Letter to Eddie Van Halen
    On the Occasion of putting the final nail in the VH coffin

Dear Eddie:

Well, you're at it again. The road to ruin takes another detour as you try to find yet another way to hang on to your rock star status before you self implode and end up in an alley somewhere.

I love you, Eddie - in that rock-star god kind of way. I appreciate everything you brought to the genre and I am the first to bring up your name in "greatest guitar players" conversations. But come on, man. Stop wearing your ass on your hat, if you know what I mean.

I think any time a lead singer leaves a band, that band should not carry on with its original name. A new singer changes the dynamic, the entire face of the band. It becomes different. So I was a little taken aback when you all decided to carry on the VH name without Dave. But, hey - your band, your prerogative. And this really has nothing to do with Sammy or Gary Cherone.

Well, yes it does. It has to do with you (and we know it's you, Eddie, and not Michael Anthony or even Alex, who most people couldn't pick out of a lineup) and the way you have bastardized the Van Halen name ever since the first break up. I don't want to get into the whole Eddie v. Sammy/Gary thing, but it's just part and parcel of the bigger picture. The fact is, Eddie, that you have never thought of anyone but yourself, least of all the fans who bought your records, went to your show, lifted you to rock god status, and stood by you even when it was apparent that you had become a belligerent, drunken jackass.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove by agreeing to do this show. Is it that you want to hang on to rock and roll lifestyle for a bit more? Or is that you are finally read to let go of the last shred of dignity you might have had and just go down in blazing flames finally? Really, this isn't so much about the band appearing on Rock Star as it is with your insistence on carrying on with the Van Halen name. Yea, it's your name. But how hard would be to change the band to Eddie Van Halen and the Nancy Boys? Well, that's just an example, but you know what I mean. To keep pretending to be something you are not - the Van Halen of old - just makes you look like an old man who sweeps those few remaining strands of hair over his balding scalp. You can look in the mirror and pretend you are VH all you want, it doesn't make it so.

People are laughing at you, Eddie. They are reading this article and talking about it many rock forums and the words being used the most are pathetic and washed-up and fucking asshole. And this isn't just DLR fans like me, but from the stalwarts who stuck with you even through the abomination known as Van Halen III, and even the newer generation of VH fans, the young kids like my son who recognize the band for what they were, not what they are now. How am I going to tell him? This will be worse than when he found out there was no Santa Claus, worse than when the Yankees lost to the Red Sox. Reality tv? Searching for a lead singer on a weekly show filled with drama, fighting between band members, wannabe David Lee Roth's and, jesus, man, Eddie Van Halen doing his guitar god thing on reality tv. It sounds like a joke.

You should have quit trying to resurrect VH a long time ago. You should have given the band another name and moved on. You have turned one of the most celebrated hard rock bands into an embarrassment. I would have rather seen VH appear on an episode of "What Ever Happened To..," than to have them brought to life again in this incarnation. Embarrassing, Eddie. For you, for VH fans, for everyone except the producers of the show who know damn well that everyone will be turning in to see this train wreck.

Thanks for killing whatever good name VH had left, Eddie. Why don't you just f-f-f-ade away like most rock stars?

Sincerely,

A former fan of yours"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

11.13.14 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

man you beat me to this by about 20 seconds!

this better not happen.

Oh well, we shall see.

At least it might mean a few more tunes before they find him dead under his piano.

alcohol is a hellava drug

Eruption
    Last Online

12.22.16 @ 05:50 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts

Premium Member

Yep, can't go three seconds without another "Rock Star Van Halen" thread.... (sigh)

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think it's kinda shitty to rip on Ed like that. Make him MORE depreseed...yeah - that'll work...

I'm obviously not the first person to think that the RS thing is one of the goofiest ideas in the history of goofy ideas, but seriously, it's Ed's name...he can do WHATEVER he likes with it. If you don't like it, tough. Don't have anything to do with him or the band anymore...JEEZ...get a life instead of ripping on someone else's...CAN'T STAND NEGATIVE PEOPLE LIKE THAT!
    Last edited by sixstring; 10.20.05 at 07:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Last Online

08.02.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jesus...if they are gonna do it, do it. these threads are annoying.

and what rock star has ever f f f faded away?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by empyre44
    and what rock star has ever f f f faded away?
    The Police ???

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Gary is gay!
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring
    I think it's kinda shitty to rip on Ed like that. Make him MORE depreseed...yeah - that'll work...

I'm obviously not the first person to think that the RS thing is one of the goofiest ideas in the history of goofy ideas, but seriously, it's Ed's name...he can do WHATEVER he likes with it. If you don't like it, tough. Don't have anything to do with him or the band anymore...JEEZ...get a life instead of ripping on someone else's...CAN'T STAND NEGATIVE PEOPLE LIKE THAT!
    Agreed 6, what a useless fucking post that was. Amazing how all these people have all the answers.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.27.05 @ 07:46 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Dude Needs a Head Shake

Here's a idea buddy!
    If you don't like Eddie, don't listen to him anymore!
    Every artist has the right to do what they want and at this point none of us are 100% convinced that this would even happen (Rockstar). An open letter to Eddie basically slaming the guy will achieve......nothing!!!!!
    Let the man do what he wants and if you like it, great good for you but if it is not to your liking, don't wine like Eddie has personally ruined your life!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by halen4ever
    Here's a idea buddy!
    If you don't like Eddie, don't listen to him anymore!
    Every artist has the right to do what they want and at this point none of us are 100% convinced that this would even happen (Rockstar). An open letter to Eddie basically slaming the guy will achieve......nothing!!!!!
    Let the man do what he wants and if you like it, great good for you but if it is not to your liking, don't wine like Eddie has personally ruined your life!
    Well said...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:43 AM
    Liked 2,103 Times in 687 Posts

I wish it really would happen

sadly its probably too good to be true

and we'll have ZERO VH in 2006

but we'll see

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice letter for something that's not even confirmed by the band that they are going to do it. It's called open mouth and insert foot when they find out that this will not be happening.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.28.09 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just leave them 'tards alone. I'm hoping the rockstar show will happen with VH and the new singer will bring them into greater success (both commercially and musically). Then watch the 'tards reactions. Would be funny.

I just want new VH music damnit, I don't care who the singer is. As long as the music is good.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah mTV's not the most reliable (or credible) source for music info are they.

With nothing even confirmed from the band or its namesake, this is bs.

So where's that dead horse again?? Get your sticks ready.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

here we go around and round and round...Run run around yeah.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE