Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Rescuers Search San Francisco Bay for Bodies of at Least Two Children

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rescuers Search San Francisco Bay for Bodies of at Least Two Children

SAN FRANCISCO — Rescuers searched Wednesday night for the bodies of at least two young children who were reportedly tossed into San Francisco Bay (search) near a popular waterfront stretch, authorities said.

Coast Guard (search) boats and a helicopter searched the water as police officers and firefighters investigated from the shore.

Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White said a witness called 911 to report that two, and possibly three, children were dropped from a pier into the water.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Completely sickening.

I hope details emerge that show the children were not thrown. Bad enough they died but to have someone toss them in leaves me with a dismal outlook on the future of mankind.

There is no punishment too severe for this crime.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The radio news is reporting it was the mother that did it. She was hearing voices. Why don't these voices just tell people to kill themselves instead of their innocent children? Kind of like the woman in Texas that drowned 5 of her own kids.

I hate when I hear or read these stories because they keep running thru my mind and I don't want to think how these kids died and what went thru their minds.

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

This happened in broad daylight yesterday at around 5 in the afternoon. My fiancee was driving by as the police and fire dept were showing up. This happened right along the Embarcadero which is a very busy street. So unreal.

Last Online

Donor

Here is a more detailed account:

A 23-year-old woman who said she was hearing voices stripped her three small children naked Wednesday and threw them off a San Francisco fishing pier into the bay, authorities said.

Diners and strollers watched in horror as rescuers raced against an ebb tide to search for the children in the murky waters off Pier 7. After five hours, the body of a small child was pulled from the bay near Fort Mason. Minutes later, police booked the mother of the children, Lashaun Harris of Oakland, on three counts of murder.

Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White said that with the water temperature in the 50s, it was unlikely that any of the children had survived.

"It would be hard to be in there for long," she said.

Harris' children were identified as Trayshaun Harris, 6, Travante Greely, 3, and Joshua Harris, 1.

A witness who had been walking near the pier with his two children called 911 about 5:30 p.m. to report that he had seen the woman throw the children from the fishing pier into the bay about 10 feet below, authorities said.

A rescue crew responded within four minutes, according to the fire chief. Police arrived moments later and ran across the wooden pier, which juts 100 yards into the bay.

Harris was standing near the 4-foot railing that surrounds the dock, apparently waiting for police to get there, authorities said.

"She was blank, just blank," said one of the rescue crew members.

Harris told investigators that voices had told her to throw the children into the water, authorities said.

Officers put her in the backseat of a patrol car and drove away. Halfway down the pier, a blue baby carriage sat with a pile of clothes around it.

Mary Ann Ramirez, social services manager of the Salvation Army's Garden Street shelter, said Harris had been staying there for about two months. "The mom came to the shelter with three kids -- she was very shy, very reserved.''

Trayshaun, the eldest child, she said, was "such a sweet child -- he loved school. He started first grade when he came to the Salvation Army; it was a new school.

"He would come home every day, ask his mom to please take me to homework club. He really loved school. He loved his brothers, helped his mom with the kids a lot,'' Ramirez said.

She said she had just talked to Harris on Tuesday.

"I just talked to her yesterday. We had our usual how are you doing, how's the kids. I would never have guessed in a million years that today she would do that.''

The children's father, Travante Greely of Alameda, was talking with police in the East Bay city last night, Lt. Jeff Swatman said.

"He's totally distraught,'' Swatman said. "We are helping him get in touch with other family.''

Police and fire marine units on jet skis spent several hours looking for the children. As night fell, searchers fired flares to illuminate the bay. Patrol craft and at least one outboard motorboat crisscrossed the water along the Embarcadero, while a Coast Guard helicopter hovered overhead.

Pamela Horowitz, a hostess at the Waterfront Restaurant and Cafe, which sits one pier to the north of Pier 7, said a man ran into the restaurant and asked her to watch his two young boys. She said one of the children had told her that he had seen a "mom throw two kids over the pier."

Horowitz said the man had walked half a mile from the pier because he didn't want the woman to see his boys.

"He was scared," Horowitz said of the man. "The thing that worries me is that little boy seeing all that. He's only 7. He'll remember this for the rest of his life."

As evening fell and hope of finding any of the children alive faded, a dozen firefighters walked somberly off the pier. One of them, carrying a long ladder over his shoulder, sadly shook his head when asked if he had any luck finding the bodies.

Christina Todd, a bystander, stood looking into the water as the rescuers searched the murky depths.

"It reminds me of the Andrea Yates case," she said, referring to the Texas woman who was convicted of drowning her five children in the bathtub of her family's Texas home in 2001. Yates is serving a life sentence.

"We just moved here from Houston a month ago, and we were there for that," Todd said. "And now this. It's awful, just awful."

Searchers on a boat pulled the body of one of the children from the bay near Fort Mason, about 4 miles from Pier 7, about 10:15 p.m.

"I was just riding my bicycle by here, and I saw them bring in one bundle, wrapped in white cloth, maybe 3 feet long," said passer-by Arthur Hudson, holding his hands out to indicate the size of the body. "Pretty terrible. You could tell it was a child."

At Fort Mason, the smoky stench from the flares drifted across the dock as a police officer on the docked boat handed the wrapped body to another officer, who carried it into a nearby building.

After loading the body into a medical examiner's white van, police officers took down their crime-scene tape and piled into their cruisers to drive away.

"Remember now," shouted one investigator. "We've got two more bodies out there, so let's keep looking."

Chronicle staff writer Stacy Finz contributed to this report. E-mail the writers at kfagan@sfchronicle.com and jvanderbeken@sfchronicle.com.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't think she was hearing shit. She probably got a new boyfriend and he doesn't like kids. Why do I say this? She's from Oakland, Oakland has it's own waterfront and lake (bodies are dumped there infrequently), yet she went all the way across the bridge to kill he kids in SF. San Francisco's DA ran on the platform that she will not ask for the death penalty and she has held to this standard, even after an SFPD officer was murdered by a shitbag with an AK-47.
    This bitch off'd her kids in San Francisco because she's knows that even if she's convicted, and in SF there's only a 45% chance of this due to incompitence in the DA's office, she won't get death. My guess is that she's never going to see a day in a real prison.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300
    I don't think she was hearing shit. She probably got a new boyfriend and he doesn't like kids. Why do I say this? She's from Oakland, Oakland has it's own waterfront and lake (bodies are dumped there infrequently), yet she went all the way across the bridge to kill he kids in SF. San Francisco's DA ran on the platform that she will not ask for the death penalty and she has held to this standard, even after an SFPD officer was murdered by a shitbag with an AK-47.
    This bitch off'd her kids in San Francisco because she's knows that even if she's convicted, and in SF there's only a 45% chance of this due to incompitence in the DA's office, she won't get death. My guess is that she's never going to see a day in a real prison.

She was living in San Leandro (in a shelter) and I don't think that was her reasoning though.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm just pissed. Wherever they put her, I hope it's dark.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

Donor

Here is some more info...

Mother suspected of tossing kids in bay suffered from schizophrenia
    Oakland woman says she had stopped taking her medication
    Jaxon Van Derbeken and Kevin Fagan, Chronicle Staff Writers
    Thursday, October 20, 2005

More...
    Printable Version
    Email This Article
    (10-20) 14:10 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- The Oakland woman suspected of throwing her children into the bay to die told investigators that she had been treated for schizophrenia over the summer while staying with her sister in Florida and had thought she was cured, authorities said today.

Lashuan Ternice Harris, 23, told authorities that she had stopped taking her medication when she returned to the Bay Area a couple of months ago. Soon, she started hearing voices, Harris told investigators.

Those voices were talking to her Wednesday evening, she said, when she allegedly stripped her three small sons naked and threw them off the end of Pier 7 on San Francisco's waterfront.

The body of Harris' 2-year son, Taronta Greely, was found late Wednesday at Fort Mason, more than 2 miles from the pier. The other children, 6-year-old Treyshun Harris and 16-month-old Joshoa Greely, are still missing and presumed dead.

Harris, who had been living in an Oakland homeless shelter with the boys, was booked on three counts of murder.

Authorities say Harris told them she had voluntarily checked into a Florida clinic over the summer and had been treated for two days. She was taking Haldol, which eases the effects of schizophrenia.

She told authorities she hadn't gone to a doctor in the Bay Area after she stopped taking the medication and began hearing voices because she thought no one would be able to treat her, authorities said.

Police who rushed to Pier 7 about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday after getting calls about children in the water found Harris - hair disheveled, wearing a T-shirt that read, "Focus on Me'' - standing near the 4-foot railing that surrounds the dock.

"She was blank, just blank," one would-be rescuer said.

Harris told investigators that voices had told her to throw the children into the water, authorities said.

Officers put her in the backseat of a patrol car and drove away. Halfway down the pier, a blue baby carriage sat with a pile of clothes around it.

Mary Ann Ramirez, social services manager of the Salvation Army's Garden Street shelter in Oakland, said Harris had been staying there for about two months. "The mom came to the shelter with three kids -- she was very shy, very reserved." Ramirez said.

Treyshun, the eldest child, was "such a sweet child," Ramirez said. "He loved school. He started first grade when he came to the Salvation Army; it was a new school.

"He would come home every day, ask his mom to, 'Please take me to homework club.' He really loved school. He loved his brothers, helped his mom with the kids a lot," Ramirez said.

She said she had just talked to Harris on Tuesday.

"We had our usual, 'How are you doing, how's the kids.' I would never have guessed in a million years that today she would do that."

The children's father, Taronta Greely of Oakland, was talking with police in the East Bay city Wednesday night, Lt. Jeff Swatman said.

"He's totally distraught," Swatman said. "We are helping him get in touch with other family."

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:48 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 990 Posts

Donor

Schizophrenia is a hell very few people can imagine. It's difficult for social services to monitor parents with diagnosed 'phrenia if they're drifters, such as seems to be the case here. Often times this is exactly how those with mental disabilities end up with children in the first place; poor management of caseloads, funds for medications and continued supervision run dry, and the afflicted hits the streets running, and since the three basic human drives rule us all (hunger, shelter, sex), they end up pregnant from trading bodily favors to Homeless Fun Joe for a half cart of aluminum cans.

Part of my duties at Napa State included follow-up interviews with recently released clientele, and surprise, more than half of them during my stint ended up scattered throughout the Bay area's underground. While not as concentrated as LA's skid row, San Franciscan street culture is torrid and unforgiving to those who are ill-equipped to deal with basic reality, much less the stuff between the cracks.

Yes, this is another horrible example of the world at large, but before people start pointing fingers at the woman, perhaps think about condemning instead a rapidly declining system which spits out folk like peanut shells if they're functioning even moderately below the cultural norm.

Interesting little sidebar...if the governments of the western world spent even one tenth of their annual defense budgets on advances and improvements in health care, we'd read a lot less of these sorts of headlines.

Administrators at lock down facilities debate the merits and morality of implementing involuntary sterilization of the disabled. Naturally a majority of professionals in the field want to create the highest quality of life possible for disabled individuals, yet also have to balance out the potential dangers of passing on genetic deficiencies, level of functioning ability to appropriately rear children, and, in cases prone to potentially severe emotional reaction, basic safety of said children. Most of the time facilities pawn off sterilization decisions on family; bureaucracy making these choices is too Gestapo in nature (yet what happens when the U.S government mandates population control because resources are spreading too thin? Not an unlikely prospect in our children's lifetime, methinks).

That's the nasty thing about schizophrenia, though. It turns on a fucking dime, and not always because a medication is withheld. It's a creeper, can pop on a perfectly normal kid attending college...your kid, maybe. And it never goes away, and it always lurks, ready to manifest in possibly horrible fashion, such as this. There but for the grace of God go we all.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the insight Squal. It's so hard not to be upset with the mother when you do not have a background in such things. I'm still having a hard time having sympathy because of the little souls who died without cause. It's just the mom in me.

I don't know all the ins and outs of the sterilization issue but it doesn't seem like population control when a person is incapable of taking of themselves let alone a child. Hell, I'm half way normal and some days it's tough for me. It can take the patience of Job on bad days.

As far as government, I won't even go there because at this point, I'm totally disgusted. It may be the "best" thing going but it doesn't mean it's perfect by any stretch of the imagination. We are in desperate need of change. How, I don't have the answers but there are people alot smarter than me who can and should figure something out.