Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Default sinus infections

Geez..why must I get a sinus infection every Fall and Spring?

Anyone experience these wonderful little things...I'll set the stage..

One morning you wake up with a crippling headache...sinus pressure behind your eyes and your forehead looks like it's swollen. The next day, you sort of forget about the horrible headache, but by the end of the day, you noticed you have some lovely nasal drip down the back of your throat. It makes you a little nauseous...and you spit some of it out...but you start to realize that it won't be long before you're SICK.

The next day, or several hours later, the fever kicks in. Mine usually level off around 102 - 103! At this point, you're completely bed-ridden. Symptoms include fever, sore throat, sinus pressure, sneezing, some coughing, and body aches. The difference btw this and a common cold...when you have a cold, you blow your nose, and get some relief. With a sinus infection, you blow your nose, but there isn't really anything there...you're better off "hockin' a looogie", but you still can barely loosen anything up. O yea, by the way, you sound like you are talking out of a hole the size of a pin.

Docs love to use antibiotics to treat this...and who knows if they work...Biaxin, amoxicilin, whatever...

anyone have any home remedies for sinus issues?
    Last edited by extreme red roth; 10.19.05 at 02:13 AM.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:24 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have one right now. SUX. Cannot sleep or get comfortable. A double dose of nyquil knocks me on my arse for about 2 days then I am usually better. Careful on the dosage u take with that stuff
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply,willing is not enough, we must do" -Goethe

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.--Sir James Dewar, Scientist (1877-1925)

Always drink upstream from the herd...
    --Will Rogers

It is amazing how much some people can do with so little, however, what is even more amazing to me is how little some people can do with so much.
    --Somewhat me, mostly someone else, not sure who

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

My wife just got over a bad one last week. Combine that with her being pregnant - WATCH OUT!!!

Personally, I haven't had one in a while. I would much rather have a fever than a sinus infection though. Every time I would move in a quick motion, my head would feel like it was going to explode. Thanks, now that I talked about it I expect to get one in a week or two...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

04.01.11 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Y'all probably have seasonal allergies.
    Last edited by racefan8; 10.19.05 at 06:44 AM.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
    False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.
    Compassion is the basis of all morality.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
    www.myspace.com/getracefan8

Last Online

10.29.09 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You need to get treated for a sinus infection with anti-biotics. If not, they end up progressing to acute sinus infections, and can lead to very bad fevers. It can take a month or longer if it goes untreated. I used to get these things too, and probably still will. Last year was a really bad year for colds and flu.
    CHICAGO WHITE SOX - 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONS

The Chicago White Sox (1901-present) - The Original SOX - Proof

The Boston Americans (1901)
    The Boston Somersets (1902)
    The Boston Pilgrims (1903-1906)
    The Boston Red Sox (1907-present) - Proof

The Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets whatever you want to call them, have NEVER displayed "SOX" anywhere on their caps, jerseys, or merchandise, therefore they shouldn't be referred to as such. However, the White Sox have used "SOX" since 1912.

The SOX are in Chicago...we just allow the Pilgrims/Americans/Somersets to use the name.

2007 Fantasy Football Champion

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

About a spoonful of table salt in a cup of warm water, a syringe (Take out the needle! ) and fire that shit up your nose! Repeat as necessary. It hurts like hell, but it will break that shit up. Hope you don't have a weak stomach! And antibiotics if needed.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I unfortunately consider myself an expert in this area. I have had at least one sinus infection a year since I was about 12 years old and I am now 32. I didn't know how to get relief (mainly incompetent family doctors or internal medicine doctors) until I had a REALLY bad one that started in February of 2000. It ended in January of 2001....after surgery cleared it up. Yes...they CAN get that bad. I had about 6 or 7 rounds of antibiotics over the course of the year and could not find anyone who wanted to do the surgery because of the insurance I had at the time. After a long delay of switching insurance groups and FINALLY finding an ENT doctor/surgeon who knew what he was doing...I had relief...after ANOTHER year of recovery from the surgery.

Anyway...long story short (I know..I know..too late!), I have only had 2 sinus infections since the surgery...and both of them were this year. The NEWEST antibiotic on the market that works best is Levaquin. It specifically targets the bacteria that causes sinus infections and clears them up QUICKLY!! I have found an excellent allergy doctor (sometimes these doctors can be MUCH more valuable than regular ENT doctors because they understand the sinus tissue better than the others). Here are some things I have done during really bad allergy periods and sinus infections that have worked greatly:

1. Drink water, water, and more water....this is THE most important thing you can do. It helps to keep the mucous thin. It may not feel like it's working a whole lot but trust me...it's the best thing for you.

2. Get yourself some NON-DRYING Sudafed capsules (can be taken every 4 hours.) This has guafeneisen in it...another mucous thinning agent. And drink lots of water with it. (See the theme here?)

3. Grab yourself some Claritin even if you don't have allergies. This will help keep the sinus tissue from being inflamed IF you do have some sort of irritant hitting it. But not just one Claritin....take it once a day for the course of the infection (Claritin needs 2-3 days to start working).

4. Ibuprofen will also help keep the swelling of the tissues down.

5. You can also boil a pot of water, put it on the kitchen table, and breathe in the steam with a towel over your head for a while...this helps loosen and give relief.

6. If you have a lot of sinus pressure...an icepack on your sinuses also helps.

8. Go to your local drugstore and get some saline spray. It is in small squeeze bottles and contains purified water and saline. Spray this up your nose every few hours or so...it will help keep the sinus lining moist and make it easier to get the mucous out.

7. Did I mention drinking water?? DRINK WATER!!

Hope this helps! Let me know how things turn out.

evans5150
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by racefan8
    Y'all probably have seasonal allergies.
    Yep. They say it's ragweed this time of year if you have problems.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by evans5150
    I unfortunately consider myself an expert in this area. I have had at least one sinus infection a year since I was about 12 years old and I am now 32. I didn't know how to get relief (mainly incompetent family doctors or internal medicine doctors) until I had a REALLY bad one that started in February of 2000. It ended in January of 2001....after surgery cleared it up. Yes...they CAN get that bad. I had about 6 or 7 rounds of antibiotics over the course of the year and could not find anyone who wanted to do the surgery because of the insurance I had at the time. After a long delay of switching insurance groups and FINALLY finding an ENT doctor/surgeon who knew what he was doing...I had relief...after ANOTHER year of recovery from the surgery.

Anyway...long story short (I know..I know..too late!), I have only had 2 sinus infections since the surgery...and both of them were this year. The NEWEST antibiotic on the market that works best is Levaquin. It specifically targets the bacteria that causes sinus infections and clears them up QUICKLY!! I have found an excellent allergy doctor (sometimes these doctors can be MUCH more valuable than regular ENT doctors because they understand the sinus tissue better than the others). Here are some things I have done during really bad allergy periods and sinus infections that have worked greatly:

1. Drink water, water, and more water....this is THE most important thing you can do. It helps to keep the mucous thin. It may not feel like it's working a whole lot but trust me...it's the best thing for you.

2. Get yourself some NON-DRYING Sudafed capsules (can be taken every 4 hours.) This has guafeneisen in it...another mucous thinning agent. And drink lots of water with it. (See the theme here?)

3. Grab yourself some Claritin even if you don't have allergies. This will help keep the sinus tissue from being inflamed IF you do have some sort of irritant hitting it. But not just one Claritin....take it once a day for the course of the infection (Claritin needs 2-3 days to start working).

4. Ibuprofen will also help keep the swelling of the tissues down.

5. You can also boil a pot of water, put it on the kitchen table, and breathe in the steam with a towel over your head for a while...this helps loosen and give relief.

6. If you have a lot of sinus pressure...an icepack on your sinuses also helps.

8. Go to your local drugstore and get some saline spray. It is in small squeeze bottles and contains purified water and saline. Spray this up your nose every few hours or so...it will help keep the sinus lining moist and make it easier to get the mucous out.

7. Did I mention drinking water?? DRINK WATER!!

Hope this helps! Let me know how things turn out.

evans5150

great stuff, thanks!
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Are you guys that get them all singers???

That's a running joke between my brother and I from our playing in a band days. It seemed like the only time I would ever even hear about a sinus infection was when the singer was really sucking ass which seemed to be the norm...

Thanks for lettin' me share...

A lot of me has to agree with RF8 on this one.
    Last edited by fast98dodge; 10.19.05 at 10:17 PM.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

last winter, i was working with a friend of mine who had a sinus infection. he wouldnt see a doctor, he figured it would clear up in a few days. so one day, about, say, 20 minutes before lunch, he sneezed. what i witnessed was something ill never forget- bright green snot ( and i do mean BRIGHT green) with the consistency of refrigerated molasses streaked with blood, and stretched at least 8 inches between his nose and hand. needless to say, i skipped lunch that day, and ate a very late dinner. grossest thing id ever seen.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

bon apetit.
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.17.07 @ 09:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a sore throat right now. it's the change of seasons. your body is not used to it. it started to get cooler the past few weeks and i think that's what caused me to get sick right now. It used to happen every season but not as frequently as before.
    if it sounds good, it is good- EVH

[image]javascript:ed1window();[/image]

Favorite VH Album

FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of the World
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always get that shit at the beginning of the year ALWAYS and it damn near kills me

Lot of good suggestions on here, I recommend all of them and also taking a lot of vitamin C.

I've never tried the warm salt water up the nose but i'll be willing to do anything next time I get one

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sisca
    last winter, i was working with a friend of mine who had a sinus infection. he wouldnt see a doctor, he figured it would clear up in a few days. so one day, about, say, 20 minutes before lunch, he sneezed. what i witnessed was something ill never forget- bright green snot ( and i do mean BRIGHT green) with the consistency of refrigerated molasses streaked with blood, and stretched at least 8 inches between his nose and hand. needless to say, i skipped lunch that day, and ate a very late dinner. grossest thing id ever seen.
    When my wife's mom was young, she'd get these brutal sinus infections. She described her "home remedy." She had one of those scratchy Army blankets and she'd lie down for awhile and let her nose run...Then, she'd drag her face across the blanket and the snot would literally pull out of her sinuses in long, thick strings...Made for a nasty blanket, but she says it felt great...

Pasta, anyone?
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...