Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.04.12 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eddie Cutup in Calgary Sun Article

Tommy Lee extinguished

Motley Crue drummer latest to get burned by rock's reliance on the spectacle

By MIKE BELL -- Calgary Sun

Explosions are cool.

It's one of those maxims, like puppies are cute, bald men are felons and any television show pairing Brian Austin Green with Freddie Prinze Jr. will be comedy gold!

But like most maxims, there's always a but (and usually some barely concealed breasts and several articles on how to get your freak on).

For example, puppies are cute BUT not when microwaved. Bald men are felons BUT only when convicted.

And any TV show pairing Brian Austin Green and Freddie Prinze Jr. will be comedy gold BUT don't be ridiculous, of course it won't.

So, with that in mind, let us return to our original statement and but it up a little bit -- explosions are cool BUT not when they set fire to musicians.

Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee is the latest to pull a Michael Jackson -- um, that doesn't sound quite right -- suffering non-serious burns as the result of a pyro mishap during a show this past week.

The rest of the concert was cancelled while Lee was whisked away to hospital -- well there were a lot of chicks in nurses uniforms so it could have been a hospital or a strip club, either way he's doing fine.

Now here's the thing -- that the incident happened should surprise absolutely no one, considering Nikki Sixx has already had the same thing happen.

Anyone who's seen the Crue's latest reunion tour knows that it's entirely about the spectacle -- explosions, midgets, scantily clad women, motorcycles.

Even the point at the show when the accident reportedly took place was when Lee, strapped into a harness -- probably not the first or last time that phrase will have been written -- was flying between two drum kits suspended above the stage.

Huge light shows, giant fireballs, flying solos -- it's all a part of trying to give the audience more bang for their buck, or in some cases pull the old Oz by asking concertgoers not to pay attention to the washed-up old men in front of the curtain.

Granted, not every person or band can captivate an audience with their music and natural charisma, but at times the extremes some are willing to go to "entertain" has to make you wonder how much is too much.

Whatever the case, as long as people keep demanding it and bands don't have the actual physical showmanship to back up the current concert price tag, beheadings, self-immolation and bloodletting onstage won't be limited to Alice Cooper and Gwar shows.

Or, in other words, you live by the spectacle, chances are at some point you'll suffer first-degree burns by the spectacle.

EDDIE VAN'S INXS

So with the inexplicable success of Rockstar INXS, the websites are heating up with speculation on who will be featured in the second series should there be one.

The question, should rather be, who's willing to degrade themselves and lose all credibility in order to briefly rekindle interest in them -- and, yes, INXS'* (asterisk now required) fortunes will plummet to the earth faster than Sputnik -- by anyone other than diehard fans.

Queen is touted as a frontrunner, despite having already recruited Paul Rodgers.

But I'd say the safe bet is Van Halen, who have gone through three lead singers -- albeit all of them still relatively alive.

The reason being Halen have already used reunions with both David Lee Roth, very briefly, and Sammy Hagar to turn the spotlight on them when things dried up.

Now that they've been discarded, the only other choice is bring by that guy from Extreme -- hahahahahaha -- or lower themselves even further by whoring themselves on TV.

Faced with the two, which would you choose?

And fans who think that would be about as sad as it could get should check out this recent radio interview with Eddie Van Halen to see how much sadder it can be -- www.2dorks.com/junk/vanhalen1003/eddie.mp3

QUICK HITS:

Last week on SNL, Ashlee Simpson proved she could actually sing. Poorly, mind you, but it's all baby steps, dear ... On the subject of train wrecks, if you want to set fire to every Public Enemy record you own, watch Strange Love, the new "reality" show with Brigitte Nielsen and PE's Flavor Flav ... No concert rumours this week -- just love.
    She's got a doorbell sign that says "Bring It, Or Don't Ring It"!

Last Online

11.26.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

What a fun loving guy Mike Bell is. I didn't realise that Rock n Roll had to be so deadly serious.
    "In our house, a song was considered shit if it didn't have a big guitar solo on it"- Slash

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Unfortunately he's got some points. And I stand by what I said saying there's no way in hell I'd ever be happy to see VH return via this rockstar bull-shit.
    Last edited by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love; 10.17.05 at 03:51 AM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Ahhh The Calgary Sun, the voice of reason.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGuitars99
    Ahhh The Calgary Sun, the voice of reason.

truer words...
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Critics.. if you're useless at it... write about it!! The talentless slagging off the talented.. what a hero!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Eruption
    Last Online

09.23.13 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is the first time I hear that interview, and all I can think is Oh, Oh.
    I have dealt with 5 alcoholics in my life time, Eddie reminded me of them all in that interview to some degree. The sad thing is, had I been in the room with Ed, I would leave. I don't care who you are, Eddie Van Halen or not, no matter how much I would love to talk to him, I don't want to deal with that. And I don't blame Sammy or Michael for feeling that way too. Ed sounds like a typical drunk plugging at various trhings, yet not accomplishing anything new. There is nothing we or anyone could say to Edward that would make him wise up & kick the habit. He has to do it for his own reasons. If watching his son grow up while in a constant state of inebritation, essentially missing most of it doesn't do it, then nothing will. We are left offering our hopes and prayers that Eddie gets it together. But, unfortunately, in my experience, the bottle wins, hands down everytime. (How prophetic are DLR's lyrics now? "I guess you're headed for a whole lot of trouble, if you take your whiskey home") As for the article itself, the last thing I want is a rockstart VH. Retire instead. If Ed still wants to make music, create a new supergroup. I still think Eddie can be relevant in today's music. He only has to want to do it.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:07 AM
    Liked 541 Times in 322 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Damn, who dropped the red ants into this guy's panties!

Why is this all so serious. I mean, take the Rockstar thing - why is it important for "your" band to have "credibility" or whatever? I mean, we listen to these guys because we enjoy music. Why would anyone care how or where the music comes about? I don't get people like this, who live and die by the choices "their" bands make. I like the music, or I don't like the music. Some people really need to get lives...

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a weiner!

Eddie shits on him in every way.

If Van Halen decided to do Rockstar Van Halen then I would support the show and enjoy watching it!
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well this is coming from Canada, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

What an a-hole.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    Well this is coming from Canada, so it shouldn't be too surprising.

What an a-hole.
    What's that supposed to mean? (Not the a-hole part, that is pretty self explanatory, and I agree, the critic is an a-hole. A big, brown, stinky one.) But I've seen Ed be slamed in the U.S press over the years, so I don't think blaming an entire nation for one a-hole is wise. (He could be a transplanted American for all you know)

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by graphicbrian
    What's that supposed to mean? (Not the a-hole part, that is pretty self explanatory, and I agree, the critic is an a-hole. A big, brown, stinky one.) But I've seen Ed be slamed in the U.S press over the years, so I don't think blaming an entire nation for one a-hole is wise. (He could be a transplanted American for all you know)
    I'm not. I was just kidding cause my sis-in-law's from Canada and we always tease her about different stuff. I probably should have put that in the other post. Sorry.

Mellow out.
    Last edited by smithjc; 10.17.05 at 09:19 AM.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This guy's too serious? Nah...
    Maybe some of these reactions, though...

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc
    I'm not. I was just kidding cause my sis-in-law's from Canada and we always tease her about different stuff. I probably should have put that in the other post. Sorry.

Mellow out.
    No, I'm the one who should say sorry, after all, you guys now have Celine Dion! (Thanks for that! You can keep her!)
    Must be the damn Monday blues. Haven't seen the sun in a week & then some a-hole from Calgary decides to trash my hero. So, I vented at the wrong person. Sorry. (Is it time for my prozac yet?)

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Note to ones self: Make sure to thank Ed for fucking Mike Bell`s girlfriend.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3