Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Ed's control

Last Online

02.18.12 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default Ed's control

Recently Sam said that it took them forever to record the three new songs when they could have done an entire album. I was reading the article again the other day in Guitar World where Ed talks about how he has taken over control of his setup, sound, the mastering, etc. This adds up to the typical artist who is never happy with his own work and must continue on until something's perfect. Somehow Ed Lefler must have been able to control and convince Ed that what he was producing before was good enough. We've heard him say many times that Eruption has "tons of mistakes in it", but come on, we all know that it started a revolution. Hopefully Ed will either meet up with someone that can assert that kind of control and convincing over him again or he will get a new therapist that can do it. The one he has now is getting him to take over more, according to him, and that is not the direction that is helping the band. One has to wonder where the delicate balance is between him being in control enough to stay sane and letting go of enough control to be productive.
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Default I want my control back.................

Yeah that makes some sense. There are lots of mistakes in all of VH's classic stuff, accordin to Edward. He sounds like quite the perfectionist but I can't throw stones since I'm a perfectionist sometimes too with my work.

But mistakes?? Man these are the greatest songs they've ever done!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sure as hell wish my mistakes sounded like that!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

10.12.15 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Yeah, I remember watching this MTV special for F.U.C.K. I think it was and leading up to the point where they went into the studio, Ed was all relaxed and joking around and then they went in to play a song and all of a sudden nothing was right and it took him like 10 minutes to have everything the way he wanted it and I remember laughing thinking that everything sounded fine, but you could see it on his face. He was immediately anxious and really concentrating and listening and everything. You could see what a perfectionist he is and how hard he is on himself. It's never good enough. He just doesn't hear music the same way that everyone else does. I really think that he'd be happier giving up some control in the long run. He just has to realize that delegating is not degrading. Edward needs someone to give him a daily hug and tell him that he's doing fine and everything is all right. I volunteer to sacrifice my time to do this. No, no, no don't thank me.
    Could this be magic?

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

So it goes from LSD to LGD (Lead Guitar Disease) lol. Ed's control over the music is fine because he obviously has very certain tastes about it and even al has said that in the past. Its just the fact that he wants to control everyones personal lives that really makes him seem like the enemy. Since he's a work-a-holic when it comes to music, I can understand that some people would find that irritable, especially sam who does it more for fun.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 4,814 Times in 2,457 Posts

Premium Member

So Ed wants to be in control of his music. Whats the problem?

Its his work, his passion, his music. Yes when Sammy puts on vocals, Alex drums and Mike....well Mike does his background vocals, then its VH but he still is the captain of that ship.

The funny thing is that you hear producers having more of a problem with Sam in the studio than Ed.

Andy Johns and Glen Ballard both did not get along with Sammy and his work ethic. I believe Bruce Fairborn did as well. However both Andy and Glen have worked with Eddie multiple times. Both have worked with Eddie multiple times. Dave even made a postive comment to Eddie how he hung with Dave during the BOV1 sessions even though Dave was not up to snuff.

Yeah Sammy has put out a lot more albums than Eddie since 95 however I don't think its because Eddie is a perfectionist.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thai Boxer 9901Since he's a work-a-holic when it comes to music, I can understand that some people would find that irritable, especially sam who does it more for fun.
    Well, he's certainly some kind of "a-holic"...I sincerely hope he gets it together because when he's healthy and doing well mentally, the fans certainly reap the benefits.
    Last edited by VH-is-Alive; 10.15.05 at 09:22 PM.
    "I write and play music for a living, I'm not a businessman. It seems like all attorneys ever do is stir up trouble. They create problems that never existed and ream you for half your money, then they try to fix what they started and nail ya for whatever money you got left. I'll tell ya, man, I don't see how these guys sleep at night." --Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH-is-Alive
    Well, he's certainly some kind of "a-holic"...I sincerely hope he gets it together because when he's healthy and doing well mentally, the fans certainly reap the benefits.

some of you guys must know him by the sounds of it....how do ya know he's not fine mentally ...maybe he's quite happy and doin' what the hell he wants to...when he wants to...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver
    some of you guys must know him by the sounds of it....how do ya know he's not fine mentally ...maybe he's quite happy and doin' what the hell he wants to...when he wants to...
    People dream to do what they want, when they want. I want Eddie to release some new/old unreleased material. Yeppers, I am a greedy fan. Sue me.
    Just go for it!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VH-is-Alive
    Hopefully Ed will either meet up with someone that can assert that kind of control and convincing over him again...
    I believe that someone's name is David Lee Roth. It's not about the guitars. It's about the songs. When it becomes all about the guitars you have nothing more than a Steve Vai album.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by muffdiver
    Many, many people reported on the craziness that Ed laid out during the last tour when he was out in public and it was recently pretty much verified by Sam & Mike, not to mention 9's eye-witness account of the final gig where Ed was AFU and going bananas. I'm just going by what appear to be pretty freakin good sources as to what the problem is. If you include all that shit in "doin' what the hell he wants to...when he wants to", then yeah, I guess he's absolutely healthy, then.