Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default Did you ever think Bon Jovi would be bigger than VH?

Take yourself back to 1984. Van Halen absolutely ruled the music world. From MTV to radio they were king. Undeniable. Bon Jovi was opening for Ratt. They were basically a non-existent hair band wannabe.

Move ahead to 2005. Bon Jovi re-emerged in 2002 or so and they matter. They've shaken the 80's hair band image, they've recorded new records, have new videos, have new radio hits, and they sell out stadiums. And to boot, they put on a hell of a show. I saw them at Gillette Stadium in 2003 and was blown away.

Our Van Halen? Eeks. David Lee Roth is a tired, stuck in the 80's Vegas act; Gary Cherone came on board and gave us some strange Freddy Mercury/Michael Jackson frontman act on one of the worst albums ever created; aside Van Halen 3, we've gotten 5 new songs from this band by two different singers in 10 years....with nothing new in sight.

Back in 1984 or 1986 could you ever have imagined such a scenario?? Not a chance. In 2005 Bon Jovi is mainstream and people still think the last thing Van Halen did was "Jump". Pretty fucking depressing.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Sorry, Bon Jovi isn't bigger than Van Halen. Never was. Never will be.

Bon Jovi's new material is tired and dated. Have a Nice Day and It's My Life are almost the same song, but with different lyrics.

Dave? Tired and stuck in the 80s vegas act? I guess taking over for Howard Stern constitutes being stuck in the 80's. Van Halen 3, in your opinion, is one of the worst albums ever. That's fine. Atleast it's not Bon Jovi.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 849 Times in 397 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

Van Halen is one of the biggest bands in the history of rock.
    Chicks listen to bon jovi.

Don't waste your time worrying about it.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

I liken them to Aerosmith in the ways of marketing and lack of creativity. Just because a band's been around forever and have learned how to keep a public image doesn't necessarily mean they are any "bigger." They could sell a gazillion records and never top the impact of VH.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

05.23.09 @ 06:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First and foremost I love Van Halen more than anything. However, if he is asking will they ever be bigger. In their prime, BJ could not have touched Van Halen. 2005: they are bigger, Eminiem is bigger, Green Day is bigger, the list goes on and on. I love Van Halen with Sammy more than what my wife would say is normal. The only thing that would catapault Van Halen back would be if they reunited with Dave (which we all know is not going to happen)

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:55 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Soz but you can't compare the the two groups - don't lose any sleep about it - for 99.9% of us here its VH every time!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

My original point was not "Who do YOU like more in 2005?" I was simply acknlowledging that 20 years ago I would have bet my life that there was no way in hell a band like Bon Jovi could in any way be more relevant than Van Halen in 2005. But the painful fact is that they are. Van Halen - in the mainstream - is simply not relevant anymore. To you and I they are still the best ever. But to the general public they are a classic 80's band. Bon Jovi, however, has redifined themselves and picked up a new fan base of teenagers while hanging onto those that loved them in the 80's. I saw Bon Jovi open for Ratt in 1985. The whole idea of them being relevant in 1995, nevermind 2005, was laughable. But props to them, they re-emerged in 2001/2002 and broke down the walls of the "Eighties Hair Band" image. I only wish Van Halen could re-emerge with a killer new album and take over the music scene that they once dominated.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.30.11 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bon Jovi might be more relevant than VH right now, but consider BJ can’t hold a candle to Killy Clarkson doesn’t say much.

The only credit I give BJ is that they show up. We got some show up in 04 with VH, but no video, no appearances besides concert$, no real album...... Now back to

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

Guys, Led Zeppelin releases more material than VH, and they have been defunct for 25 years.

A better question would be who isn't more relevant these days. They are still my favortie band and I listen to them almost every day, but facts are facts. To almost everyone outside of this board they are either non-existant or a soap opera joke.

Now I'm going back to listen to Balance and Fair Warning, see ya!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

littleguitars
    Last Online

12.23.05 @ 12:07 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by rockygotfingered

Bon Jovi's new material is tired and dated. Have a Nice Day and It's My Life are almost the same song, but with different lyrics.
    Agreed, the new album blows chunks, same stuff over and over. Take into consideration the chick factor, anyone who has been to a Jovi show knows, if there is 15,000 there 12-13,000 are chicks if not more. They will never have the musical respect from their peers like Van Halen has, BJ got a big break with Jon`s looks and help from Desmond Child writing their big hits for them, even It`s My Life was done by outside writers and that was their "comeback hit". Not sure what to think anymore, that AOL special from Holland was boring as hell, Jon sound terrible, all that nazal shit now, he dosen`t sing with any passion like he did before he became a actor.
    This tour will pull great numbers with all the chicks out their, but it`s now more of a "boy band" audience then a rock crowd.
    "So what's your story? Any tread left on the tires? Or is it like throwing a hotdog down a hallway?" Stewie Griffin

Detroit Red Wings

GP 34 Record: 22-9-3

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I'm probably one of the few "chicks" that's not really into Bon Jovi. They were okay back in the day with Slippery When Wet, but beyond that.............well there's not much else to listen to from them. I think another poster hit it right on the head with the comparison to Aerosmith.

To me they were a party band with some great videos back in the day.

I don't even listen to them anymore. I still have my SWW album, but I rarely listen to it. In comparison, I listen to the entire VH catalog w/o fail, even here at work.

Bon Jovi may be more relevant to some people now, but not to me. And they'll never surpass the impact and relevancy of Van Halen.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:24 PM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Not even a little bit.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The current popularity of Bon Jovi just BAFFLES me. I seriously do NOT get it. They must have a helluva mananger.

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

These topics make me laugh: Bon Jovi is "bigger" than VH, Motley Crue fans "win" again, etc. Based on what? Simply the fact that VH is not producing new material and these other bands are?

NEW material does not, in any way, equal GOOD material, especially in the cases of BJ and MC. They release the same tunes with slightly different lyrics, Jon Bon talks about Bon Jovi as a "brand" (literally) and a couple of the MC guys get haircuts and an education. The consistent releases and hype are sure to generate more popular coverage because the record companies need to get their investments back. Therefore, they use their best PR people to get bands like BJ and MC on the NFL, Today Show, etc.

These are cash grabs or, as I like to call them, 401(k) tours. Those are all well and good, but they don't make either of those bands "bigger" than VH, the fans don't "win" because of a serious lack of quality control and none of their individual members are better musicians than EVH.

Sinner's Swing! the_atomic_punks_rule's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Today- Bottom's Up!
    Last Online

12.20.16 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rockygotfingered

Dave? Tired and stuck in the 80s vegas act? I guess taking over for Howard Stern constitutes being stuck in the 80's. Van Halen 3, in your opinion, is one of the worst albums ever. That's fine. Atleast it's not Bon Jovi.

Now who cares what band you put on the back of your jean jacket, but Bon Jovi is about a million times bigger than VH right now.