Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Default I always come back to Van Halen

I may be new to these boards but certainly not new to VH. Not that anyone asked, but here's my story...wondering if anyone else can relate.

I'm 37 and first got into VH when my older brother used to play VH1 and VH2 on our 8-track player all the time. I was only about 10 or 11 years old but I swear to you I was completely mesmerized by the "guitar player". I used to ask my brother all time, "How does that guitar player get that sound? It truly was Eddie that sucked my in. From this point on, I became completely obsessed with the band and everything in my life - especially through my high school years of 1982-1986 - revolved around Van Halen.

During my high school years I had countless home made 'greatest hits' cassesttes that I always made. I was never without a blank cassette in the tape recorder just waiting for WAAF (Boston) to play a quick DLR promo, a Van Halen interview, etc.

Bu the peak of my obsession was clearly 1984. From the World Premier of "Jump" on New Years Eve straight through the entire year, it was ridiculous. Hours were spent in front of MTV waiting for Jump, Panama, Hot For Teacher, and *gasp* the rare occassion they would give us live videos of 'Hear About It Later', 'So This is Love?', or 'Unchained'. I can remember one time being in the street in the middle of a street hockey game with the neighborhood kids when my little sister ran outside to tell us 'Unchained' was on MTV. All ten of us dropped our sticks and ran into the house to watch it. It was crazy.

Like most of you, my walls were covered with cutout pictures of the band. I had all of my text books for school covered with VH pictures. I have all of the LP's, the 45's, posters, tour books, etc that I could get my hands on. Total obsession.

Well, into college the VH thing faded a bit. I still went to the OU812 and FUCK shows at the Centrum, but I had really gotten into club music, Guns N Roses, INXS, and other music of the late 80's early 90's. I then got engaged, married, kids, etc by 1996 and I can tell you Van Halen was a very small part of my life. Don't get me wrong, I would occassionally pop in a CD, or stop on a video if I stumbled onto one, and always cranked up a tune on the radio if it came on. But the mid 90's were a strange time for the band in my opinion. Other than the Greatest Hits CD there wasn't much going on with the band. And I won't even get into the abortion that was Van Halen 3.

But now? Well, I did drive all the way to New Jersey from Boston last summer to see them because I just had to. Eddie Van Halen was on the east coast and I needed to be there. And when Wolfgang came out during 316 it was truly epic. I've been to hundreds of great concerts by all kinds of bands and this moment ranks at the top. So awesome.

However, mostly for the past few years I always find myself going through stages where I get completely hooked on them for a month or so, then I forget about them for a few months, then hooked again, etc. But one thing that never changes is that the second I hear Ed's guitar on the radio or if I'm at a bar and Jump or something comes on, I swear it's like hearing from an old friend. Van Halen's music and the guys in this band are actually a part of me. I hope that doesn't sound fucked up, but they are. To this day if I hear the opening notes to a VH tune I swear I feel 12 years old again and I'm sitting in my bedroom with my older brother listening to the 8-track and wondering how they could possibly split "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" in half so the 8-track player could change from track 2 to track 3!! Hilarious!!

I

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

There is no escaping VH one the bug has bitten.. it's in your blood!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

we're all rowing the same boat, same river, same direction.. except for when wolf comes out on stage, never been a fan of that, I am there to see them, not their kids. people screaming like it's a peak into their " other " life... nope, there for the music, few beers, and to feel good for 2-3 hours..Forget about my mortage & think back to a simpler time.
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by servoguy101
    except for when wolf comes out on stage, never been a fan of that, I am there to see them, not their kids. people screaming like it's a peak into their " other " life...
    Wow, that surprises me. I thought it was epic. Not because it was a 'peak into their other life', but because it was incredibly sentimental if you ask me. I mean, here's this guitar god sharing the stage with his son playing a song that was played to the son while still in his mother's stomach. And, to top it off, he's playing on a red striped strat that his father made famous.

Sorry, man, but the moment caught me be total surprise and it gave me chills. I remember thinking at the time how cool it must have been for Ed to experience such a moment, both as a professional and as a father.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel
    There is no escaping VH one the bug has bitten.. it's in your blood!!
    Amen.

You definitely ain't alone!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 851 Times in 398 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

If someone is a true Van Halen fan it's in your blood forever. You can hear one note of a VH song and know it from a mile away. Shit my mom and dad could tell VH in an instant when I was a kid cus I listened to them every day. When hear VH or hear about them, it feels like someones calling my name. Like it's my extended family.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

I was with my younger sister at the VH concert in MA 2004...I remember her commenting that VH fans are just a different breed of fans of a band...personally, I could not have put it better.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Like Ed said: "Everybody has a little VH in them".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    If someone is a true Van Halen fan it's in your blood forever. You can hear one note of a VH song and know it from a mile away. Shit my mom and dad could tell VH in an instant when I was a kid cus I listened to them every day. When hear VH or hear about them, it feels like someones calling my name. Like it's my extended family.

Very true!

Excellent points!
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

Last Online

06.12.07 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Jump:

Your post echos my life and habits regarding =VH= throughout the years. I'm 36 and I dug them around the same time, with a brother who was fanatical about high fidelity and an "album nut" and out of 1000's of LP's he owned, there is still only one sound/attitude I cannot shake - that unmistakable magic that is Van Halen.

I was practically defined as the Van Halen kid in high school. Hand drawn logos on books, patches on jean jackets, and being ripped on over how much better Iron Maiden was...

The band dissappered for me in the 90's also, except the '96 VMAs. 5150 and OU812 were kind of a fading out for awhile for me...but every time a new single would come on the radio, that unmistakable genious of Ed's hands on the axe or keyboards, and I would listen to every sound, every note, every word...

College, marriage, kids, jobs of course took precedent and always will. But there is that bunch of crazy guys, that RBW guitar, those stage lights and fun antics in Jump and HFT and Panama videos that I waited DAILY to watch and hoped that MAYBE Unchained will be on LATE on Mtv...
    Talkin Some New Kicks

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

[QUOTE=JumpTheHotTeacher]Wow, that surprises me. I thought it was epic. Not because it was a 'peak into their other life', but because it was incredibly sentimental if you ask me. I mean, here's this guitar god sharing the stage with his son playing a song that was played to the son while still in his mother's stomach. And, to top it off, he's playing on a red striped strat that his father made famous.

IMO ( solely ) it was for his kid in his wife's body, believe me, I bleed red, black & white but again, I am not there to search for a higher meaning, I look for my family for that, not Ed's. WOW, I sound like a dick ......ok, to hopefully regain a small measure of respect, my wife and I had our first date at a VH show ( balance ) and I have that guitar signed, encased & proudly hanging on the wall............
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Last Online

05.18.07 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Welcome Home!!

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Jump, your post almost could have been written about me! Only difference is it was my friend Brian, not my brother who got me into VH. VH faded for me too during what we call "The Long Silence" but I was sucked right back in when news of the 2004 tour came out. I haven't turned back since.

Anyway, I'm sure a LOT of us here can relate. And as againstthewind said, Welcome Home! You are in the right place.

Hey meanstreet, I *was* the Van Halen girl in Jr. High. I was even in the newsletter for it. (A shining moment for an 8th grader, I assure you). People used to give me pictures and articles from Creem magazine and the like on an almost daily basis. I have quite a collection of stuff!

Shari
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Last Online

05.14.12 @ 09:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was my older sister here......She was headed out to the record store for the "Big Sale" and I had given her 10$ to grab me 2 albums that were on sale. A few hours later she shows up and ..."oh, they didn't have those albums ya wanted, were sold out, so I got ya this new one...(fade in the beginning of Runnin With the Devil). LOL....I stood there looking at the cover trying to decide if I should commit and rip that frikkin plastic off.....well I did and here I am....41, no signs of balding or grey. Van Halen kept me well!

Hell, I even sported a pair of those Eddie leather patchwork jeans I put together. Actually had those in a box till I got married. LOL, I've often thought of that Pepsi commercial with the retro flashbacks....me in my Ed jeans..*shiver*

Now I just have a pair of old black biker boots with a hole in the toe!!

Long live Mr. Edward Van Halen
    Last edited by bullitt; 10.12.05 at 06:32 PM.
    -"There's a little bit of VH in everyone"- AVH

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.17.07 @ 09:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JumpTheHotTeacher
    I may be new to these boards but certainly not new to VH. Not that anyone asked, but here's my story...wondering if anyone else can relate.

I'm 37 and first got into VH when my older brother used to play VH1 and VH2 on our 8-track player all the time. I was only about 10 or 11 years old but I swear to you I was completely mesmerized by the "guitar player". I used to ask my brother all time, "How does that guitar player get that sound? It truly was Eddie that sucked my in. From this point on, I became completely obsessed with the band and everything in my life - especially through my high school years of 1982-1986 - revolved around Van Halen.

During my high school years I had countless home made 'greatest hits' cassesttes that I always made. I was never without a blank cassette in the tape recorder just waiting for WAAF (Boston) to play a quick DLR promo, a Van Halen interview, etc.

Bu the peak of my obsession was clearly 1984. From the World Premier of "Jump" on New Years Eve straight through the entire year, it was ridiculous. Hours were spent in front of MTV waiting for Jump, Panama, Hot For Teacher, and *gasp* the rare occassion they would give us live videos of 'Hear About It Later', 'So This is Love?', or 'Unchained'. I can remember one time being in the street in the middle of a street hockey game with the neighborhood kids when my little sister ran outside to tell us 'Unchained' was on MTV. All ten of us dropped our sticks and ran into the house to watch it. It was crazy.

Like most of you, my walls were covered with cutout pictures of the band. I had all of my text books for school covered with VH pictures. I have all of the LP's, the 45's, posters, tour books, etc that I could get my hands on. Total obsession.

Well, into college the VH thing faded a bit. I still went to the OU812 and FUCK shows at the Centrum, but I had really gotten into club music, Guns N Roses, INXS, and other music of the late 80's early 90's. I then got engaged, married, kids, etc by 1996 and I can tell you Van Halen was a very small part of my life. Don't get me wrong, I would occassionally pop in a CD, or stop on a video if I stumbled onto one, and always cranked up a tune on the radio if it came on. But the mid 90's were a strange time for the band in my opinion. Other than the Greatest Hits CD there wasn't much going on with the band. And I won't even get into the abortion that was Van Halen 3.

But now? Well, I did drive all the way to New Jersey from Boston last summer to see them because I just had to. Eddie Van Halen was on the east coast and I needed to be there. And when Wolfgang came out during 316 it was truly epic. I've been to hundreds of great concerts by all kinds of bands and this moment ranks at the top. So awesome.

However, mostly for the past few years I always find myself going through stages where I get completely hooked on them for a month or so, then I forget about them for a few months, then hooked again, etc. But one thing that never changes is that the second I hear Ed's guitar on the radio or if I'm at a bar and Jump or something comes on, I swear it's like hearing from an old friend. Van Halen's music and the guys in this band are actually a part of me. I hope that doesn't sound fucked up, but they are. To this day if I hear the opening notes to a VH tune I swear I feel 12 years old again and I'm sitting in my bedroom with my older brother listening to the 8-track and wondering how they could possibly split "Somebody Get Me A Doctor" in half so the 8-track player could change from track 2 to track 3!! Hilarious!!

I
    I understand that totally, dude. It's the same thing with me. Van Halen has been a major part of my life. Literally. I wanted to be like Eddie Van halen since I was 8 or something. The first guitar solo i heard was 'beat it', I didn't know who the guitar player was then since I was like 5 years old. but it was the most awesome sounding thing I heard. To this day, Ed never ceases to inspire me to play guitar. he's the number 1 influence. van halen is not just a band, it's a life force. every album is different from one another. each album has it's own personality. van halen is like zeppelin, sabbath, the beatles. theyre truly a great band.

I can relate to every personality in that band, ed, alex, mike, dave. i like their sense of humor and rock n roll spirit. it's a positive thing.
    if it sounds good, it is good- EVH

[image]javascript:ed1window();[/image]