Favorite VH Album

1984/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

DD Legs,Humans Being
    Last Online

07.23.09 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Sammy & Dave as solo artists

I was wondering if anyone else who comes to these boards really doesn't care about Dave or Sammy's solo music? Maybe I should re-rephrase that and say is anyone else not interested in listening to their solo stuff? I enjoy reading others' posts regarding this, so let me be clear and say keep up all the dialogue, because there is plenty of good reading here and some interesting opinions.What I am trying to say is that I am personally not a fan of either guy as a solo artist- I'm just a Van Halen fan. If Sammy or Dave were to release a solo album tomorrow, I wouldn't buy it, but if either of them were to release a new CD with VH tomorrow, I'd pay anything for it. Hell, I'd even welcome Gary back- with open arms !!!(that Mishar dude should dig that comment )

I understand why people take sides and feel a need to proclaim a preference for each of the "incarnations" of VH- but it seems that with that preference goes an affection for that singer as a solo artist.Hell, I have a preference myself regarding a lead singer for the band (go ahead and guess), though I'm not interested in this guy as a solo artist, because I believe it's the magic he has with VH that makes him so good. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else feels this way. Thoughts?

Everyone keep up the good work

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,189 Times in 8,988 Posts

I actually enjoy both Dave and Sam's solo work. Dave's a little more than Sam's, but I still listen to them both.

There are some hidden gems on their albums that would be great additions to the VH catalog if they had been able to bring them onto a VH album. It is just that neither one has a great solo album in my opinion in the all-time classic category like VH does.

If you were to offer the sales and popularity of their solo careers to anybody starting out in the music business they would almost certainly take it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I love both their solo work. I own all of Dave's and even all of Extreme's stuff! I'm still working on Hagar, who has far more then both of them put together.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I'm a huge fan of it ALL - VH, Dave, Sam, Extreme, TOJ, even Gary's solo stuff. It's true that VH has that certain magic (the sum of the parts...) that none of them have solo but to me, it all comes from the same place...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I don't really bother with their solo stuff. I have both of their greatest hits however after listening to them, they really should be EP's.

Anyway I find that there are plenty of better solo artists out there. Its not bad but it just does not sound the same without VH backing them up.

Favorite VH Album

1984/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

DD Legs,Humans Being
    Last Online

07.23.09 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls
    I don't really bother with their solo stuff. I have both of their greatest hits however after listening to them, they really should be EP's.

Anyway I find that there are plenty of better solo artists out there. Its not bad but it just does not sound the same without VH backing them up.
    You said it, Ziggy, it's not that they are bad as much as there is better stuff...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:45 AM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Primarily I'm a VH fan, however I love a lot of stuff both Dave & Sam have done outside of VH.

Dave's best work was with VH, however Sam's was Montrose IMHO. That's not to say I don't like Sammy in VH, I do, but personally I think those first 2 Montrose albums are right up there with the first 6 from VH.

As for actual solo sets, they've both been hit & miss. Dave's "Eat 'Em & Smile", "A Little Ain't Enough" & "DLR Band" albums are stellar. "Skyscraper" & "Your Filthy Little Mouth" are decent.

Sam's solo sets from "Standing Hampton" onwards are all quite solid.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a difficult time listening to Sammy or Dave without the Van Halen bias. That is, my mind won't get past wondering what the particular song woulda been like with Eddie, Al and Mike doing their thing.

Further, I find I enjoy the solo efforts from Sam and Dave when they most sound like Van Halen. Such as "High Hopes" from Sam. That woulda been a KILLER VH tune. Or "A Lil' Ain't Enough" coulda been a big VH hit.

I guess what I'm saying is I enjoy their solo work, but I'm too much of a Van Halen freak to enjoy them for what they are. I can't decide if that's good or bad.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I like Sammy solo a lot.

I dig a lot of the Dave solo stuff, but Dave's solo stuff is not "hooky". It never really grabs with the exception of the weak Just like Paradise, or a few others. I think EEAS is a great effort, but I think you can really tell that while Vai is a great guitar virtuoso, he's no Eddie when it comes to writing music. Just my opinion.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    I like Sammy solo a lot.

I dig a lot of the Dave solo stuff, but Dave's solo stuff is not "hooky". It never really grabs with the exception of the weak Just like Paradise, or a few others. I think EEAS is a great effort, but I think you can really tell that while Vai is a great guitar virtuoso, he's no Eddie when it comes to writing music. Just my opinion.
    Vai didn't write the material on EEAS, Steve Lukather did. I remember when that album came out, I bought it on vinyl and when looking it over front to back and inside and out, I noticed there were no writing credits listed.
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

OU812 (see my bio for other)
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

10.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I dug I Can't Drive 55 before Sammy joined VH, and I was an Extreme fan too. But the fact that Sammy was in VH made me a Sam fan. I've bought all his post-VH studio albums, and a few pre-VH albums. I have the Tribe of Judah cd. I have all of Dave's stuff, except Diamond Dave. I'd pay to see Sammy solo, but not Dave.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar
    Vai didn't write the material on EEAS, Steve Lukather did. I remember when that album came out, I bought it on vinyl and when looking it over front to back and inside and out, I noticed there were no writing credits listed.
    Shit, I did not know that. Lukather...? Weird.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth
    Shit, I did not know that. Lukather...? Weird.
    Lukather talked about it in an interview. He said he asked Eddie if it would cause friction between the 2 of them if he wrote some guitar stuff for Roth. Ed basically said he didn't care.
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

All of them...
    Last Online

09.15.15 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch
    I dug I Can't Drive 55 before Sammy joined VH, and I was an Extreme fan too. But the fact that Sammy was in VH made me a Sam fan. I've bought all his post-VH studio albums, and a few pre-VH albums. I have the Tribe of Judah cd. I have all of Dave's stuff, except Diamond Dave. I'd pay to see Sammy solo, but not Dave.
    Amen, brother...
    "Living with the Aftershock"

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar
    Lukather talked about it in an interview. He said he asked Eddie if it would cause friction between the 2 of them if he wrote some guitar stuff for Roth. Ed basically said he didn't care.
    Yeah, I've got that interview in the EVH tribute Guitar World from summer 2004. Lukather sold them most of the tunes. Sheehan wrote a bit of it.