Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VH Setlist from Cabo....

This was the setlist from the non-Los Tres Gusanos (featuring Sam, Mike & David Lauser) band that played in Cabo the other night, which had Sam, Mike, Vinnie Paul, and Vic Johnson:

Poundcake
    Amsterdam
    Best Of Both Worlds
    Top Of The World
    Why Cant This Be Love
    Finish What Ya Started
    Runaround
    Right Now
    Running With The Devil (Mike handled lead vocals, and Pantera's Vinnie Paul did drum duty)
    You Really Got Me (Vinnie Paul on drums again)
    Mas Tequila

I wish Sam would do away with tunes like "FWYS", "Runaround", "WCTBL", and "Right Now". Replace them with songs like "A.F.U. (Naturally Wired)", "Pleasure Dome", "Good Enough", "Dreams", "Judgement Day", and "The Dream Is Over". If he's diving into Roth era, then pull out "SGMAD", and "Bottoms' Up" as well.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 1,618 Times in 995 Posts

Donor

Whoa. There's some interesting overtones in that gig, not the least of which is Mikey and Sammy pulling out Roth era stuff without Ed on guitar.

But definitely the kicker is Sam pulling out '5150' from the archives. That would've been nice to see on last year's tour.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

08.29.11 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like sam misses Van Halen.
    Live by the VH attitude, die by the VH attitude.
    \mm/\mm/

"What do you wanna do with your life?

I WANNA ROCK!"

Alex Van Halen "THE BEATLES will never get back together and David Lee Roth will never again sing with VAN HALEN."
    the way it should have been link below:
    http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/4...5dd0881lk8.jpg

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    Whoa. There's some interesting overtones in that gig, not the least of which is Mikey and Sammy pulling out Roth era stuff without Ed on guitar.

But definitely the kicker is Sam pulling out '5150' from the archives. That would've been nice to see on last year's tour.
    I was thinking the exact same thing on both fronts. First, it would be a nice little bonus for Mikey to be able to sing lead for a song during each show, just like on the last two VH tours. Definitely something that I'm sure keeps Mike happy and by doing a Dave song, it doesn't remove anything Sam might have sung. I think that's pretty cool actually, wonder if it will be a regular spot or just a one time thing.

As far as "5150", other than maybe Summer Nights, is there a Sam era song that is begging to be played more than that one? Easily one of the top 5 Sam era tunes, yet it never gets any love from the guys.

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow
    I was thinking the exact same thing on both fronts. First, it would be a nice little bonus for Mikey to be able to sing lead for a song during each show, just like on the last two VH tours. Definitely something that I'm sure keeps Mike happy and by doing a Dave song, it doesn't remove anything Sam might have sung. I think that's pretty cool actually, wonder if it will be a regular spot or just a one time thing.

As far as "5150", other than maybe Summer Nights, is there a Sam era song that is begging to be played more than that one? Easily one of the top 5 Sam era tunes, yet it never gets any love from the guys.
    Maybe Mike and Sam are keeping in shape for the VH '06 tour next year.

Agreed, in spades....5150, Summer Nights, and Mine all Mine are at the top of my list as far as archive barnburners to replace tired old anthems like When It's Love, Jump, and Right Now.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

What I wanna know is who they found to play 5150. The only person I know of that has played the song correctly is Ed. Just the sure difficulty is amazing.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 630 Times in 294 Posts

I heard a version of 5150 a few years back that Sam did with the Wabo's it sounded pretty good. Vic did some improve but it sounded decent....but not even close to the version on LWAN!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Wow, what a setlist. '5150' should have been played during the 2004 tour instead of 'When Its Love'. As for 'Running With The Devil', that one was for Mikey. Maybe a warmup for the Sam & Dave VH Reunion Tour of 2006.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by AJHV
    Sounds like sam misses Van Halen.
    Dude you couldnt be further from the truth, Thursday's show ( I think ) Sammy ( although admittly drank too much prior to the show ) noticed Vic's screw up and laughed and then after the song said " man, in my last band, man that guy could fuck up some good songs, damn glad to be done with that".............(IMO), he needs go get out of Cabo, his " new song" titled what else... Mexico.....unless he is running for office down there ( joke )
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Favorite VH Album

VH1, FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Top Of The World, Show No Merc
    Last Online

10.20.06 @ 08:33 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lets not get too crazy about Sam doing Dave era stuff. It sounds like Sam wasn't too involved in singing them and YRGM isn't a VH song, techinically.

Still, it does bode well that Sam doesn't appear to have any hangups playing VH material, old or new.

Christ I really wish we knew what the hell was going on here with these guys.
    Van Halen Live: 15 shows.
    Have I seen my last one?

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ericjt
    Lets not get too crazy about Sam doing Dave era stuff. It sounds like Sam wasn't too involved in singing them and YRGM isn't a VH song, techinically.

Still, it does bode well that Sam doesn't appear to have any hangups playing VH material, old or new.

Christ I really wish we knew what the hell was going on here with these guys.
    To me, it seems that Sam does things in a round about way to thumb his nose at Edward. Obviously Edward has no problem playing the entire catalog since he took requests during soundcheck and played mostly CVH. He also included some gems on the III tour with Gary. Sam was the sticking point about singing the CVH tunes and has admitted in public that he's not comfortable singing those songs. To turn around and include something new in his own show from an era of the band that he had nothing to do with just reeks of saying "See, it's all Ed's fault. I never had a problem doing those tunes. It was Ed saying we couldn't play them. Not my fault."

I know that I'm probably reaching and truly I love Sam and wish him the best. This just comes off the wrong way that all the sudden he can do different CVH songs. Just gives me a bad vibe.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79
    To me, it seems that Sam does things in a round about way to thumb his nose at Edward. Obviously Edward has no problem playing the entire catalog since he took requests during soundcheck and played mostly CVH. He also included some gems on the III tour with Gary. Sam was the sticking point about singing the CVH tunes and has admitted in public that he's not comfortable singing those songs. To turn around and include something new in his own show from an era of the band that he had nothing to do with just reeks of saying "See, it's all Ed's fault. I never had a problem doing those tunes. It was Ed saying we couldn't play them. Not my fault."

I know that I'm probably reaching and truly I love Sam and wish him the best. This just comes off the wrong way that all the sudden he can do different CVH songs. Just gives me a bad vibe.
    It is in the best interest of VH to move on without Sammy.

Last Online

Donor

Problem is, there is NO VH to move on.

Given a choice between Dave, Sam, and Mike singing Van Halen tunes and nothing, I'll take something over nothing anyday.

If Sam's always been hesitant to sing CVH, it's understandable. Not cool, but understandable, especially the first two years. After the mainstream accepted him, he should've relaxed those standards and felt comfortable enough to crank out Little Guitars without worrying too much about mixing past and present.

But I wonder who was the holdout last year in playing the 'obscurities' of the Sam era...why play Right Now, AGAIN, when you could rip out Good Enough? Why play WIL when you can toss a Judgement Day bone to the hardcore fans? Sure, you gotta play some radio staples to appease the clueless folks who only know Van Halen for Jump, but there's twenty frickin' songs in the set...ok, play 5 anthems, mix up the rest of the set for the real fans. Since Sam seems to have little issue in varying the set when solo, it was likely Edward who didn't wanna play stuff like Don't Tell Me or Summer Nights last year.

Why? Guitar work too fancy shmancy onstage? Laziness? Spite? No reason is worth the lack of attention.
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 10.11.05 at 10:42 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79
    since he took requests during soundcheck and played mostly CVH.
    LOL, he took them, but he didn't play them.

From what I saw myself and the reports here, it was usually the same tunes in soundcheck:

Poundcake
    Jump
    It's About Time
    Runnin With the Devil
    I'm The One

And RWTD and I'm The One were played on the VH3 tour so, it's not a total stretch to hear those.

It was still cool as hell, don't get me wrong.

I think the setlist issue is a battle between Ed and Sam and the only songs that win are the ones they think the fans (normal fans, not fanatics like us ) want to hear...

The hits...

Jump
    Right Now
    Panama
    Poundcake
    When It's Love
    You Really Got ME
    etc, etc.......

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My point is not the variety as we know that Sam mixes it up all the time and VH sticks with the familiar. It's the CVH songs that Sam refused to play when he was with VH. Why do something from CVH at his Cabo show? Just like you're pointing out, Sam has a ton of VH songs he can play from his own time with them.

As far as fancy shmancy, I don't play guitar but isn't I'm The One one of their harder songs to play?

I love Sam, really, this just bothered me to read.