Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Wolfgang Special neck vs Wolfgang Standard neck

I understand the Wolfgang Special has a hard rock maple neck? And the Standard has a birds eye maple neck. I realize the birdseye maple looks a little nicer, but is there any difference in feel between these two necks? They both have that same great oil finished feel I' thinking?

I used to own a Wolfgang Standard for a while and sold it. I shouldn't have. But I did so to buy a PRS. I like the PRS, but I don't like its neck....it's not that comfortable for me, too long and the finish feels too thick or something. Someone locally is selling a WG Special and I'm wonderinf if the neck will FEEL the same as the Standard.
    "If at first you don't understand Van Halen's music, crank up the volume."
    -Washington Post, April, 1980

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.10 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The special (usa) has a birdseye on it. The Korean has the hard rock maple on it. The hard rock is as comfortable as the birdseye but the guitar as a whole is different. Different trem and feel. But just as mush as a screamer as the usa model. I have both, actually all three models, the standard, the special and the korean. can't go wrong with any of them.

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scs5150
    The special (usa) has a birdseye on it. The Korean has the hard rock maple on it. The hard rock is as comfortable as the birdseye but the guitar as a whole is different. Different trem and feel. But just as mush as a screamer as the usa model. I have both, actually all three models, the standard, the special and the korean. can't go wrong with any of them.
    I have a USA special, and it is not Birdseye! The diff between the USA special, and the Korean Special is the Us is Flame top, and the Korean is Quilt top! The Korean has a Lic Floyd, the Standard, and the USA Special Have the same Peavy Floyd Rose!
    Last edited by C5150; 10.10.05 at 05:24 PM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I'll verify that...

...the USA Special does NOT have a birdseye neck. Rather, it's an oil-finished hardrock maple neck. The Korean Special has a hardrock neck, too, but its got a satin poly finish on it, because it doesn't have the graphite reinforcement rods like the American Wolfgangs do, so (if I understand this correctly), the poly keeps it stable, thereby making the graphite rods redundant. Evidently this, combined with the use of a cheaper Floyd Rose system, saved them the cost of doing the transparent quilt veneer, so they could sell both the USA Special , and the "quilt top" Korean Special at the same price.

A couple of years ago, I was fortunate enough to find a very nice Korean Special (blue quilt) at a very good price. Having already owned a USA Special, I decided to experiment, and performed a neck/ Floyd swap. I always liked the more organic, natural feel of the American neck better than the poly finished one, but that is a matter of preference.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning / Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans being
    Last Online

02.07.12 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

....and the Korean top is a veneer, thinner than the Special deluxe. IMHO the USA Specials hard rock neck does not feel the same as the Standards birds-eye neck, which i find has a smoother feel.