Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

New Orleans Police Beating Caught on Tape

---maybe they were upset they didn't get in on the Caddy special---

Two New Orleans police officers repeatedly punched a 64-year-old man accused of public intoxication, and another city officer assaulted an Associated Press Television News producer as a cameraman taped the confrontations.

There will be a criminal investigation, and the three officers were to be suspended, arrested and charged with simple battery Sunday, Capt. Marlon Defillo said.

"We have great concern with what we saw this morning," Defillo said after he and about a dozen other high-ranking police department officials watched the APTN footage Sunday. "It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it. ... This department will take immediate action."

The assaults come as the department, long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption, struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the resignation last month of Police Superintendent Eddie Compass.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting the man at least four times in the head Saturday night as he stood outside a bar near Bourbon Street. The suspect, Robert Davis, appeared to resist, twisting and flailing as he was dragged to the ground by four officers. Another of the four officers then kneed Davis and punched him twice. Davis was face-down on the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter.

Meanwhile, a fifth officer ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and the cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials and explained he was working, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

"I've been here for six weeks trying to keep ... alive. ... Go home!" shouted the officer, who later identified himself as S.M. Smith.

Police said Davis, 64, of New Orleans, was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation. He was treated at a hospital and released into police custody.

A mug shot of Davis, provided by a jailer, showed him with his right eye swollen shut, an apparent abrasion on the left side of his neck and a cut on his right temple.

"The incidents taped by our cameraman are extremely troubling," said Mike Silverman, AP's managing editor. "We are heartened that the police department is taking them seriously and promising a thorough investigation."

Davis, who is black, was subdued at the intersection of Conti and Bourbon streets. Three of the officers appeared to be white, and the other is light skinned. The officer who hit Matthews is white. Defillo said race was not an issue.

Three of the five officers including Smith are New Orleans officers, and two others appeared to be federal officers. Numerous agencies have sent police to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina.

Under normal circumstances, it takes unusually offensive behavior to trigger an arrest on Bourbon Street. But New Orleans police have been working under stressful conditions since the hurricane.

Officers slept in their cars and worked 24-hour shifts after the storm. Three-quarters lost their homes and their families are scattered across the country.

"Our police officers are working under some very trying times," Defillo said. "So it's a difficult time, but it doesn't excuse what our jobs are supposed to be."

Many officers deserted their posts in the days after Katrina, and some were accused of joining in the looting that broke out. At least two committed suicide.

Conditions have improved officers now have beds on a cruise ship but they don't have private rooms and are still working five, 12-hour days.

Compass, the police superintendent, resigned Sept. 27. Despite more than 10 years of reform efforts dating to before he took office, police were dogged by allegations of brutality and corruption.

On Friday, state authorities said they were investigating allegations that New Orleans police broke into a dealership and made off with nearly 200 cars including 41 new Cadillacs as the storm closed in.

- video -http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051009/...NlYwMlJVRPUCUl
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

06.10.07 @ 04:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

This isn't surprising. I believe we have some great police officers in this country that do extraordinarily solid police work, but it's these assholes that make the news on a seemingly incessant basis.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    This isn't surprising. I believe we have some great police officers in this country that do extraordinarily solid police work, but it's these assholes that make the news on a seemingly incessant basis.
    agreed...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

10.03.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am inherently for the people of NO, as they have had their God-given right to bear arms eradicated. However, the police have had to deal with the scum of the earth down in NO.

With both of those conflicting views presented, I believe those officers were wrong in the way they dealt with that piece of dogshit.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

We're NOT Lawyers! www.werenotlawyers.com

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:29 AM
    Liked 1,619 Times in 996 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JCJanko
    I am inherently for the people of NO, as they have had their God-given right to bear arms eradicated. However, the police have had to deal with the scum of the earth down in NO.

With both of those conflicting views presented, I believe those officers were wrong in the way they dealt with that piece of dogshit.
    (chuckle)

There are so many ways to raze all three of those sentences, I'm not even gonna bother.

Nice to see ya, Janko.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen
    (chuckle)

There are so many ways to raze all three of those sentences, I'm not even gonna bother.

Nice to see ya, Janko.
    It was purposeful. I even had my wife come over to read that post. It cracked me up.

I take both sides, and at the same time I am against both sides. However, one thing I am consistanly for is the individual, and my comments show that clearly.

Good to see you, too. PM me sometime.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

Last Online

Donor

I take both sides, and at the same time I am against both sides.
    Now THAT is classic Janko! You gotta drop by more often, bud.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now THAT is classic Janko! You gotta drop by more often, bud.
    No prob. It's easy when you take a consistant Libertarian viewpoint. It's pure logic.
    Last edited by JCJanko; 10.09.05 at 06:46 PM.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No prob. It's easy when you take a consistant Libertarian viewpoint. It's pure logic.
    I guess I should say, I can go into more detail if you don't understand the viewpoint I am taking, but since I have seen you as an intelligent dissenter of my views, I have not seen any reason to. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Go Bills and Sabres!

Last Online

Donor

I guess I should say, I can go into more detail if you don't understand the viewpoint I am taking, but since I have seen you as an intelligent dissenter of my views, I have not seen any reason to. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Nope, I understand your viewpoint, no need for elaboration for my benefit. But thanks for the offer.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

5150, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nope, I understand your viewpoint, no need for elaboration for my benefit. But thanks for the offer.
    No prob. I wasn't sure if you were being weird on me or just having fun. Obviously, it's fun (which is great here).

Like I said, PM me sometime! I just bought my first home (OK closing soon, but done deal)!
    Go Bills and Sabres!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

NEW ORLEANS - A retired elementary teacher who was repeatedly punched in the head by police in an incident caught on videotape said Monday he was not drunk, put up no resistance and was baffled by what happened.

Robert Davis said he had returned to New Orleans to check on property his family owns in the storm-ravaged city, and was out looking to buy cigarettes when he was beaten and arrested Saturday night in the French Quarter.

Police have alleged that the 64-year-old Davis was publicly intoxicated, a charge he strongly denied as he stood on the street corner where the incident played out Saturday.

"I haven't had a drink in 25 years," Davis said. He had stitches beneath his left eye, a bandage on his left hand and complained of soreness in his back and aches in his left shoulder.

A federal civil rights investigation was begun in the case. Davis is black; the three city police officers seen on the tape are white.

But Davis, his attorney and police spokesman Marlon Defillo all said they do not believe race was an issue.

"He does not see it as a racial thing," said Davis' lawyer, Joseph Bruno.

Two city officers accused in the beating, and a third officer accused of grabbing and shoving an Associated Press Television News producer who helped document the confrontation, pleaded not guilty Monday to battery charges.

Trial was set at a hearing Monday for Jan. 11. Afterward, officers Lance Schilling, Robert Evangelist and S.M. Smith were released on bond. They left without commenting.

Police Superintendent Warren Riley said any misconduct would be dealt with swiftly. He noted the video showed "a portion of that incident."

"The actions that were observed on this video are certainly unacceptable by this department," Riley said.

Two other officials in the video appeared to be federal officers, according to police. Numerous agencies have sent officers to help with patrols in the aftermath of Katrina.

Stephen Kodak, an FBI spokesman in Washington, said none of its agents had been disciplined. He said the FBI was taking part in the Justice Department's civil rights probe.

Davis said he had been walking in the French Quarter and approached a mounted police officer to ask about the curfew in the city when another officer interrupted.

"This other guy interfered and I said he shouldn't," Davis said. "I started to cross the street and bam I got it. ... All I know is this guy attacked me and said, `I will kick your ass,' and they proceeded to do it."

He said he did not know why the punches were thrown.

The confrontation came as the New Orleans Police Department long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption struggles with the aftermath of Katrina.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting Davis at least four times in the head outside a bar. Davis twisted and flailed as he was dragged to the ground by several officers. Davis's lawyer said his client did not resist.

"I don't think that when a person is getting beat up there's a whole lot of thought. It's survival. You don't have a whole lot of time to think when you're being pummeled," Bruno said.

Davis was kneed and pushed to the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter. The officers accused of striking Davis were identified as Schilling and Evangelist.

Mayor Ray Nagin said, "I don't know what the gentleman did, but whatever he did, he didn't deserve what I saw on tape."

During the arrest, another officer, identified as Smith, ordered APTN producer Rich Matthews and a cameraman to stop recording. When Matthews held up his credentials, the officer grabbed the producer, leaned him backward over a car, jabbed him in the stomach and unleashed a profanity-laced tirade.

Police said Davis was booked on public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation.

The head of the New Orleans police union said the officers told him they had acted appropriately.

"They feel they were justified in their actions and they were using the amount of force necessary to overcome the situation," Lt. David Benelli told WDSU in New Orleans.

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The police officers involved in this pleaded "Not guilty" today.

I'd like to know exactly how you plead "Not Guilty", in essence, saying you didn't commit the crime you're accused of, when you are clearly caught on fucking videotape commiting said crime or infraction.

I will never understand that.
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Well said.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

June 11, 2007

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A former New Orleans police officer charged in the videotaped beating of a man after Hurricane Katrina apparently shot himself to death about a month before his trial, authorities said Monday.

The body of Lance Schilling, 30, was found Sunday in a suburban Metairie home. An autopsy showed he died of a gunshot wound to the roof of the mouth, Jefferson Parish coroner's office said.

Schilling and another former officer were accused of beating Robert Davis, 64, a retired school teacher who had returned to New Orleans to check on his property several weeks after the storm.

An Associated Press Television News team recorded Davis being kneed and struck at least four times on the head by two police officers the night of October 8, 2005.

Davis was booked on municipal charges of public intoxication, resisting arrest, battery on a police officer and public intimidation. All charges were later dropped.

Schilling's attorney, Franz Zibilich, said he was saddened by his client's death. He believed the suspected suicide had no connection to the pending trial, which had been set for June 29. The former officer faced five years behind bars if convicted of second-degree battery charge.

"The truth be known, he was looking forward to having this matter tried and heard," Zibilich said.

New Orleans police spokesman Marlon Defillo said Schilling had not been with the department since December 2005.