the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default A Tribute To My Friend Wes

Wes Wehmiller
    September 12, 1971 - January 30, 2005

I've been wanting to do this as sort of a tribute to my friend for quite some time, and although he passed away almost a year ago, I just now feel at peace with his passing enough to share some memories and thoughts of my dear friend whom I miss terribly…

As I feel you all are like my extended family of sorts, I wanted to share with you what an amazing person Wes was.

As some of you may know, Wes was the bass player for Duran Duran from 1997-2001 (among MANY other things).

Wes passed away as a result of complications associated with thyroid cancer at the too young age of 34.

Wes was one of the most genuine people I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing as is evidenced by what you’ll read in the following posts. He was a master musician, THE best bass player I’ve EVER heard or played with, a wonderful photographer, and, although we didn’t spend and enormous amount of time together, one of the best friends I’ll ever have.

I have a thousand stories to tell but I’d end up crashing The Links if I were to write everything I wish to say about him, so I’ll let some of our other friends do the talking for me (in some of the attachments I’ve chosen to post below), as the stories and admiration for Wes is pretty much universal among those who knew him well.

I also would like to post some links to other tributes to him that others have started.

I hope you will take a little time to read some of this stuff and visit the other sites to see what a wonderful person my friend was, and if any of you knew him, share your stories here.

This is a site created by Bryan Beller, for friends and family to share their memories of Wes:

http://www.weswehmiller.net/

This is Wes’ site for his photography. Great stuff…:

http://wez.smugmug.com/

I miss you Wes. Rest in peace, my friend…
    -Bill
    Last edited by sixstring; 10.07.05 at 12:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:03 AM
    Liked 432 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

Sorry to about your friend's untimely passing. Sounds like a great guy. Once again, my condolences six...
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Here's some other stories and thoughts on Wes from various friends and family:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Buschman
    Sorry to about your friend's untimely passing. Sounds like a great guy. Once again, my condolences six...
    Thanks, man...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

From Wes' brother:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Bill,
    Man that's beautiful of you to do a tribute like this for your friend Wes.

Awesome...
    Last edited by axebrian; 10.07.05 at 12:36 PM.
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Thanks so much for sharing this, Bill. You've shared some of these stories with me over the last several months, but it's nice to see them all here. I know it's been a tough year for you and that you are really missing Wes. Hang in there, dear friend!
    Meet me in Cabo!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks, guys. Hope you'll take a little time to visit the other sites. There's some wonderful stuff there. He was loved by so many people...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

wow...im touced deeply by this.
    THIS is friendship,...nay,brotherhood..

my condolences, as well as my congratulations on being fortunate enough to have known someone like that and to have had such a frienship.
    Such treasures are of the rarest, yet most valuable type.
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

It's sad that your friend died so young, I am sure he was a great bass player. I looked up his name on the net, and I found this article on the official Duran Duran site....

[posted 1/31/2005 U.S.A.]

Wes WehmillerIt is with great sadness that the band learned that Wes Wehmiller, who played bass guitar with Duran Duran from 1997 - 2001, died suddenly today, January 30, 2005 in California. He was 33 years old.

Beginning in 1997, Wes played and toured with Duran Duran, as well as collaborating with Warren Cuccurullo, Missing Persons and other successful artists. Something of a prodigy, Wes honed his talent at an early age and even attended the prestigious Berklee College of Music. He also helmed his own band, I, Claudius.

Not only an amazing bassist, but an avid photographer, Wes' work can be viewed at http://wez.smugmug.com/

Upon leaving Duran Duran in 2001, Wes said:

"On another note, it just so happens I will be leaving Duran Duran after our mini Japan tour in late June. The band is doing a reunion tour featuring all five original members. It has been a wonderful four years, working with a great bunch of guys who have become family to me. I`m sad to see it go, but I can keep in mind all the amazing things I did and the spectacular places I got to see. I have to remember that in order to establish a name for myself, I have to move on and add other experiences."

Wes Wehmiller will be deeply missed by the many people who loved him.

Quote courtesy of Active Bass
    Photo courtesy of www.bryanbeller.com

Last edited by YankeeRose; 10.07.05 at 02:14 PM.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Pert, Yank - thanks, guys...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

More kind and inspirational words... (Pgs. 1-4 of 8)

Last edited by sixstring; 10.07.05 at 02:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

- han valen, 6.11.04

- hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Another article I found on the official Duran Duran site...

posted 2/2/2005 U.S.A.]

Nick Remembers WesIt was with real sadness that I learned my dear friend Wes had died. It was only weeks ago that we were chatting and laughing over lunch on Sunset Boulevard. He always stuck to a rigorous fitness regime and strict diet, for months after we first met I never saw him eat anything but protein bars, but at lunch last time I saw him, he was both happy and amused to order two different fish on the same plate. He seemed full of hope for the future, despite having had a very difficult couple of years.

Wes was an extraordinary person. He used to spend a lot of time alone in his room when we were on tour - it took me quite a while to figure out what he was doing for hours on end - and then eventually he showed me his computer... He had stored and meticulously catalogued thousands and
    thousands of images, including many beautiful photographs that he had taken himself. This turned into a real passion, so Wes and I shared the desire to capture that elusive moment every day on film. He was in the digital domain, but I stuck firmly with celluloid. I also admired other great wonders in Wes's archival collection, such as the curious 'Toxic Mullet'.

He had many other seemingly conflicting talents, hockey and chess come to mind. It was the latter for which I frequently threw down the challenge, often at my expense, the former I could not comprehend, yet Wes assured me that it was not simply an excuse to whack someone really hard with a stick.

Wes was fragile, sensitive and intelligent, all great attributes for an artist to have. As a musician he was able to play virtually any instrument to a remarkable standard. During the time he spent on the road with us, I don't ever remember him making a single mistake. I know how much he enjoyed playing the shows, Duran Duran had become an important chapter in his life, yet when the time came to part company he could not have been more gracious. He came to almost every concert we played in California since putting the original line up back together and always came back to see us afterwards filled with generous compliments about the performance.

I have so many fond memories of our times together, but most of all we laughed and laughed. In the darkest moments Wes could always find humour. One story that he told has always remained with me, I'll leave you with it too....

Wes was really late and speeding down a highway in LA, when to his great dismay he saw a traffic cop waving him down. He pulled over and the smug cop said to him "I've been waiting for an asshole like you all day." Without missing a beat Wes responded "I'm sorry, I got here as fast as I could."

Nick

Photo Courtesy Nick Rhodes

Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!