Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Atmosphere: Emo-rappers?

The topic of many of Atmosphere’s songs, women to Slug are an alternating source of fascination, confusion, regret and scorn.

“I’m over 30, can’t maintain relations, all these women wanna hurt me and I just don’t have the patience. I can’t trust ’em and they’re not much help, when they start to push and pull the buttons I don’t trust myself,” Slug raps in the new song “Little Man.”

Slug’s interest in tackling his demons has gotten him labeled by some as an “emo-rapper,” tying him to emo-rockers like Death Cab for Cutie and Dashboard Confessional, which have landed scores of teenage and young adult fans with their nakedly confessional lyrics.

“It’s real live stuff, not trying to rap about a fake life,” said Nate Kranz, head booker at the famed Minneapolis nightclub First Avenue, a regular stop for Atmosphere. “It’s songs that me, you, anybody can identify with.”

Atmosphere has also gotten a boost from being in heavy rotation on Minnesota Public Radio’s new alternative music station, The Current, and its popular Webcasts. The station debuted in January with the band’s “Say Shh.”

It’s earned Atmosphere followers that diverge from the usual hip-hop fan base. City Pages, the Twin Cities’ alternative newspaper, once put it bluntly: “Atmosphere is hip-hop for people who don’t like hip-hop.”

Slug’s interest in tackling his demons has gotten him labeled by some as an “emo-rapper,” tying him to emo-rockers like Death Cab for Cutie and Dashboard Confessional, which have landed scores of teenage and young adult fans with their nakedly confessional lyrics.

“It’s real live stuff, not trying to rap about a fake life,” said Nate Kranz, head booker at the famed Minneapolis nightclub First Avenue, a regular stop for Atmosphere. “It’s songs that me, you, anybody can identify with.”

Atmosphere has also gotten a boost from being in heavy rotation on Minnesota Public Radio’s new alternative music station, The Current, and its popular Webcasts. The station debuted in January with the band’s “Say Shh.”

It’s earned Atmosphere followers that diverge from the usual hip-hop fan base. City Pages, the Twin Cities’ alternative newspaper, once put it bluntly: “Atmosphere is hip-hop for people who don’t like hip-hop.”

http://www.myspace.com/atmosphere
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

...tying him to emo-rockers like Death Cab for Cutie

I've stopped reading after that. Death Cab are as far from rockers as they are from emo, lol . They're still awesome though

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

That shit cracks me up. I stopped reading as soon as I saw Death Cab for Cutie mentioned. Respect to Atmoshpere but fuck death cab

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well I'd agree Death Cab's music not that brilliant.
    Instead their lyrics are.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Death Cab For Cutie? lol

Hard to consider any band serious with a name like that.

More emo... If I wanted depressive garbage I'd listen to country
    music. If words (lyrics) were the main goal I'd read a poem or
    something.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well sometimes I want to listen to something other than ANIMAL AAAAAAAA FUCK LIKE A BEAST AAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Last Online

07.20.14 @ 01:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my brother is into atmosphere, so ive heard them a couple times. pretty cool.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/Mean Streets/Humans Being
    Last Online

06.04.06 @ 08:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Emo-Rap

Rap "sung" by nerdy white dudes.

So cool!