Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Help with 5150

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Default Help with 5150

OK, I've been playing the hell out of my 5150 that I just got maybe two months back. It's a block letter model. I didn't change the tubes when I got it. It's been sounding great, but tonight I noticed a buzz and another weird noise that I could only describe as a kind of clank with every note I hit. The amp has never made this sound before. I think it's time for a re-tube. Does this sound like it could be anything else? This is my first tube amp, so I don't know much about tube amp maintenance. What tubes would you guys recommend? I've been researching tubes and am considering the Tung Sol 12AX7 in the pre-amp and the Tad 6L6 in the power amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been confident enough to open up the amp to check out what tubes are in there now, I'm a little afraid of the juice in all them tubes. Any advice on changing tubes? Could an absolute beginner at tube amps do it, or should I take it in? I love this 5150 and hate to hear it sick.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Search the web for opinions on tubes for your amp. Don't go cheap. Be sure to have a qualified tech set the bias.
    You'd be amazed at the difference a new set of tubes will make. And don't forget--keep spares handy, preferably the same grade. My amp uses 2-6L6s so I always buy them in quartets. Preamp tubes also affect your tone. Do your homework and you'll be glad you did.

Last Online

01.05.12 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few years back I purchased a JCM 2000 super lead and was lucky enough to have it 'hot rodded' by a Guy here in Melb Australia (Dave) who used to do setups for Angus young, BB King to mention a couple. He just used standard EL 36 tubes and ujusted the bias to run the amp a little hotter....maaannnnn I couldn't beleive the diference it made!!....so much more crunch!. Marshall's gain can tend to be a little 'furry'...but this things smokin!. Definitly get a pro to do the bias...if you stuff that up you'll blow tubes like no tomorrow!.
    All the best!

Last edited by theinside; 10.03.05 at 08:27 PM.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You wont have to get it biased as the 5150 dosent have one unless its been modded. i use jj tubes in mine and find my tone to be nice. i like them and there not all that bad. also he gets the bias adjust with the tubes. go to the site and read up.

On Fire
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theinside
    A few years back I purchased a JCM 2000 super lead and was lucky enough to have it 'hot rodded' by a Guy here in Melb Australia (Dave) who used to do setups for Angus young, BB King to mention a couple. He just used standard EL 36 tubes and ujusted the bias to run the amp a little hotter....maaannnnn I couldn't beleive the diference it made!!....so much more crunch!. Marshall's gain can tend to be a little 'furry'...but this things smokin!. Definitly get a pro to do the bias...if you stuff that up you'll blow tubes like no tomorrow!.
    All the best!

That wouldn't be Dave Ulbrick would it?